OWLS - V - Espanyol (Friendly) omdt

21 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Came out after 45min's, dogshit boring if we start like that then it is going to be a long hard season, more likely to be bothering  bottom 6 than the top 6.

You're in for a disappointing season then. The first period of the game was about the best I've seen us play in some time 

Guest wilyfox

Fletcher was very good.

Rhodes looked sharp.

We're gonna love Harris. Just takes ppl on again, again, and again.

Must reiterate Iorfa is built like a fookin' racehorse. 

22 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Came out after 45min's, dogshit boring if we start like that then it is going to be a long hard season, more likely to be bothering  bottom 6 than the top 6.

came out at ht? are you real? lol

12 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

A top class strike from a very decent player.  He's going to beat many better defenders than ours.

10 minutes ago, keefdave said:

In China?

10 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Yes in China

8 minutes ago, keefdave said:

No I meant can you say that in China

4 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

沒有

This is a brilliantly surreal exchange. lol

Lots of positives from that.  They were pooing thisens every time Rhodes made a run into the box and I'd say his work rate was the best I've seen from him.  Our build up play for 65mins was totally awesome, irrespective of who was on the pitch..except for the final pass which was not so good...perhaps it was the movement because it got better when Rhodes was on.  Apart from adub..Moses we were solid defensively and at times very very cool when being pressed.  Lee was totally awesome and bannan was his usual industrious self..

Negatives

Nuhiu was running like he had a liniker type accident, joao got better but still didn't look interested.  We kept giving the ball away in our own half on that right hand side; oh and Westwood hoofs it too often for my liking, when an easy pass it on.

Odubajo improved second half, although he’s slipped for there second goal or I think it was him 

Winnall looked a yard off the pace doesn’t seem to think on same level as rest of the team, Pelupessy did alright but again I don’t think he’s on the same level as rest 

Forestieri looked sharp but wasn’t too involved, good penalty

Rhodes came on and did well, great save stopped him scoring with the header I thought , kept drawing fouls and thought he could’ve won a penalty few mins before he won the one we got , he will struggle to keep Fletch out the starting 11 but great option to have on bench 

Bannan and Fletcher were brilliant, Fletch looked like a man possessed chasing down balls , fit strong and took his goal well

Keiren Lee I’ve got no words for ....  what an unbelievable footballer looked like he had never been away , so clever and makes us play further forward , nicking balls off peoples feet , late runs into the box drawing fouls , everything about him is just pure class and I think we’ve all forgot how good he really is and realistically when fit there’s not many better in this division !  Could play in Premier League 

Harris is gonna be a star here, every time I’ve seen him pre season he’s been class , quick direct and will take his man on time and time again 

He could give a few fullbacks at this level an horrendous time, and if he links in with Rhodes movement there’s gonna be some upset Rhodes haters around 

1 minute ago, A12owl said:

Don't you just worry when K Lee gets the ball in case somebody clatters him.

When he goes down you have to hold your breath .

Can he just run up and down the touchline keeping away from any danger.

He can influence a game just by being on the pitch.

Yeh massively,  he did take a few hits today tho to be fair and doesn’t seem to lack any confidence going in for challenges 

3 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Group of Chinese students (?).  Waving their flags and cheering Espanyol's equaliser.WTF:

What's that all about FFS!

• Infiltrators from Bramall Lane's Chinese quarter?:wacko:

Maybe it was the China international player that scores. Who knows. 

I only saw bits and bobs of the game (first 25 minutes, and last 20 minutes), but I have to say, I thought we looked like a proper footballing side. 

We looked good on the ball, but had enough penetration and directness to cause a very good side, a lot of problems. We should have been three up inside the first 25 minutes, with Lee and Reach missed two glorious opportunities. 

From the highlights I've seen from the rest of the friendlies, it's clear that they have instilled a method of playing, and it involves overloading the wide areas. And we're doing it very effectively. Palmer and Odubajo providing good energy and a high attacking option from full back (looking to get beyond the winger in front). Fox offers a different deeper option, but I thought he was very good in the period of the 2nd half I saw. 

It's amazing how much a touch of dynamism in the side can change things. 

If we continue to play to that method, I can see Fletcher scoring a lot of goals this season. 

We've obviously still got an error in us at the back. Odubajo looks far better going forward than he does defensively, but I think that's a sacrifice we'd be willing to take. Like the look of Borner to be honest... reminds me of Sasso in his style of defending...looks to anticipate and intercept rather than drop off and challenge. 

Good performance against a good side, and 2-2 really does flatter them. Two brilliant strikes aside, Wednesday were much the better side. 

• Like 3

Guest Mr. Christmas

I was watching the stream on YouTube and there was a comment that said why are there so many asians there? Well basically these people have paid for their tickets and they're welcome. I don't understand comments like this they've come to enjoy a game of football the more the merrier really it doesn't matter who you are

Guest Mr. Christmas

I was watching the stream on YouTube and there was a comment that said why are there so many asians there? Well basically these people have paid for their tickets and they're welcome. I don't understand comments like this they've come to enjoy a game of football the more the merrier really it doesn't matter who you are

22 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

Lots of positives from that.  They were pooing thisens every time Rhodes made a run into the box and I'd say his work rate was the best I've seen from him.  Our build up play for 65mins was totally awesome, irrespective of who was on the pitch..except for the final pass which was not so good...perhaps it was the movement because it got better when Rhodes was on.  Apart from adub..Moses we were solid defensively and at times very very cool when being pressed.  Lee was totally awesome and bannan was his usual industrious self..

Negatives

Nuhiu was running like he had a liniker type accident, joao got better but still didn't look interested.  We kept giving the ball away in our own half on that right hand side; oh and Westwood hoofs it too often for my liking, when an easy pass it on.

We conceeded twice fairly quickly after scoring ourselves. We need that sorting. 

12 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Group of Chinese students (?).  Waving their flags and cheering Espanyol's equaliser.WTF:

What's that all about FFS!

• Infiltrators from Bramall Lane's Chinese quarter?:wacko:

They and many other Chinese fans came to watch Wu Lei, Espanyol number 24 and probably the best Chinese player in the world.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Christmas said:

It isn’t the norm for a large number of Asians to watch us at Hillsborough, and maybe there was no malice in the question just a genuine query. I would also like to know, maybe dc being Thai has attracted them. As you rightly say more the merrier.

I thought for the first twenty minutes Wednesday looked sharp, organised and very much in control. The high press worked well. The opening goal was just sublime. I disagree with those who saw nothing from Joao; he showed a number of good touches, I thought, though when Harris came on in the second half, his direct running was hard for their defence to handle. Fletcher is clearly channelling his inner Superman. Börner looks very assured. Odubajo is a threat going forward.

Confidence seemed to falter a little when they scored their first goal out of nothing and took ten minutes or so to settle again, but Lee is like a brilliant new signing and caused so many problems going forward that in the second half he was being fouled every time he got the ball. Probably wise to take him off rather than risk unnecessary damage.

Organisation inevitably suffered from the swathe of substitutions, but I thought a number made good impressions. Rhodes especially looked very sharp. (How it is not a penalty when two defenders each grab an arm and haul you to the ground, I can’t imagine). Give him service from the wings and he will score or win more penalties, as today.

Many positives to take from this showing, I think.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Christmas said:

Never gave that comment a second thought to be honest,as daft as it was,my shortish attention span was however drawn to the NUMEROUS blavdes and leeds fans commenting on who was shyte and why,and the comments about man yoo winning the premier league next season,strange goings on i tell ya.