Joao Staying?

4 minutes ago, marshy said:

Quite right, it's ok Bully saying 6 strikers for him isn't a problem, but it clearly is. You can't Keep 6 happy without constant rotation. A few are either going to be p1sswd off or be happy to just collect a wage. We need a few off the books. Bully surely recognises this, or he should. 

Possibly, but now there’s no loan options outside of the windows, you need five or six. Most of the time, at any one time, 2 will be missing. So if you are starting with 3, you need at least one other on the bench, especially as we don’t now have a prolific marksman playing for the U23s For me, 5 or 6 is about right

7 minutes ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Hutch

Reach/ Lee    Bannan

Joao       Fletch       FF/ Harris

4 3 3 is where it is at

Hutch

Lee                  Bannan

Reach      Fletch      Harris

Can't have Joao over Reach.  Shows why we need another good centre mid.. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Duran said:

Hutch

Lee                  Bannan

Reach      Fletch      Harris

Can't have Joao over Reach.  Shows why we need another good centre mid.. 

Nowhere near enough goals in that side, 30 at the most

Im not sure Lucas realises how good he could be. Theres something there for sure. He does go missing sometimes and I understand why he gets benched. But you cant play your whole career ‘with a point to prove’ (unless you are johnny bairstow:rolleyes:

He’s a threat for us and if we lost him we’d need to replace him.

I think we’re doing the right thing asking for good money. Clubs wanting to buy him such as Bristol C and possibly Brentford have the money and would no doubt ask for 8m plus themselves in our shoes.

9 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I'm not sure if I've imagined this, but a number of his goals seem to come after an opponent has rattled him. 

He needs a Manager who's going to get him to feed off that aggression more often. 

Football management is 80% psychology. 

A master at this is big Sam. He's a player puller not a pusher like Pulis, Megson, etc.

Ranieri is the same. And his pull was used to great effect at Leicester. 

Either of these for me.

Plus Sam is a master set piece % tactician. 

He's not as bad as folk on here reckon. 

• Like 1

I think most of the posters on here have a better mental attitude than Joao...I don't think he believes in himself as much as we think he does. I don't think it's being lazy I think he just doesn't have that self belief that most top strikers have in bucket loads. If you watch him when he tries something that doesn't work you can see his head go down and then he fades out of the game until he tries something that works. Compare that with FF who tries all the harder and often after losing the ball gets it back and creates something new like his wonder goal last season. He has the belief in his own ability that shines through no matter how the game is going for him.

9 hours ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

That's what's the Manager is paid to do, spot the things and get the player in the right mental state when they go over the line. 

We've had two Managers who saw the answer elsewhere. 

We could get three too four times more than £8m if Joao was coached and managed correctly. 

I keep saying it, but look what Wilder did with Leon Clarke. Nobody can look at that situation without noticing the impact brilliant man management can have on a player. 

22 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

I think most of the posters on here have a better mental attitude than Joao...I don't think he believes in himself as much as we think he does. I don't think it's being lazy I think he just doesn't have that self belief that most top strikers have in bucket loads. If you watch him when he tries something that doesn't work you can see his head go down and then he fades out of the game until he tries something that works. Compare that with FF who tries all the harder and often after losing the ball gets it back and creates something new like his wonder goal last season. He has the belief in his own ability that shines through no matter how the game is going for him.

This is spot on You can physically see his shoulders drop, when an attempt at something doesn’t come off. 

In this day and age though, it cannot be beyond the club to bring in a sports psychologist to help him overcome that state of mind. Most managers are not really equipped to deal with stuff like that, although of course, they do have a role to play. I’m also intrigued by reports from the coaching staff, and his team mates, that this is less of an issue in training games. Of course we don’t know what has been done behind the scenes, by the club, in an attempt to get the best out of Lucas Joao.

Having said that, I do think he gets a hard time from many on here, probably because they can see he could be capable of so much more. Whilst I concede that his performances don’t always match his talent, I generally see enough in his performance to merit his place in the side. He can be a sublime passer of a ball, long or short, and he is always looking to put pressure on the defender. He is also our best defender at set plays. The reason I would play him is, he stretches teams with his pace and gives us another dimension. He’s also a good finisher, with both feet. We should persist, in my opinion