Joao Staying?

Guest wilyfox

I just think Joao could be in for a big season. The penny will drop for him at some point, and it would be a shame if we weren't the ones to benefit from that after the years put into his development. 

4 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I just think Joao could be in for a big season. The penny will drop for him at some point, and it would be a shame if we weren't the ones to benefit from that after the years put into his development. 

Let's hope he's not been retired for 5 years when that penny drops. For someone with all the ability he does lack drive. He wouldn't be the first not to reach his potential.

Guest wilyfox
10 minutes ago, prowl said:

Let's hope he's not been retired for 5 years when that penny drops. For someone with all the ability he does lack drive. He wouldn't be the first not to reach his potential.

No, he wouldn't. His goals:minutes ratio is pretty good. I appreciate his form it patchy, and he needs to toughen up a bit. I don't think it helps with all the forward options we have. The only ones that really get a run in the team when fit are Fletcher and Forestieri. The others are pulled if they don't do so well. Joao needs a proper runout. Also think Joao could thrive under Bullen, whom favours a 4-3-3. 

30 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

I agree, but I'm not sure we've done a good job on the development side in the last two seasons. 

That's why the next Manager pick is so important. 

9 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

No, he wouldn't. His goals:minutes ratio is pretty good. I appreciate his form it patchy, and he needs to toughen up a bit. I don't think it helps with all the forward options we have. The only ones that really get a run in the team when fit are Fletcher and Forestieri. The others are pulled if they don't do so well. Joao needs a proper runout. Also think Joao could thrive under Bullen, whom favours a 4-3-3. 

I'm not sure if I've imagined this, but a number of his goals seem to come after an opponent has rattled him. 

He needs a Manager who's going to get him to feed off that aggression more often. 

8 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

The only person stopping Joao thriving, is Joao.

If the lazy arrse pulled it together more often than not, instead of the other way round, he could be a star.

Until he does that, he doesn't get a starting place IMHO.

2 minutes ago, MAL said:

If the lazy arrse pulled it together more often than not, instead of the other way round, he could be a star.

Correct 

2 minutes ago, MAL said:

That's what's the Manager is paid to do, spot the things and get the player in the right mental state when they go over the line. 

We've had two Managers who saw the answer elsewhere. 

We could get three too four times more than £8m if Joao was coached and managed correctly. 

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, MAL said:

Chicken or the egg? 

Joao and Nuhiu's best form for the club came during Jos' first half-season. Fletcher was injured, Forestieri was injured, Hooper was injured, Winnall was out on loan, and Rhodes was on his arse. Giving them both a decent runout saw an upturn in form.

I appreciate you saying they must earn a run in the team, but some players simply don't find form until they get that. 

1 minute ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

That's what's the Manager is paid to do, spot the things and get the player in the right mental state when they go over the line. 

We've had two Managers who saw the answer elsewhere. 

We could get three too four times more than £8m if Joao was coached and managed correctly. 

That is like saying, every footballer that has never made it, can blame the manager and set up.

Sorry for the bold, but...

TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS...

YOU LAZY ARRSE

YOU THAT THINKS YOU HAVE ALREADY MADE IT

YOU THAT THINKS THE CLUB OWE YOU SOMETHING

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Chicken or the egg? 

Joao and Nuhiu's best form for the club came during Jos' first half-season. Fletcher was injured, Forestieri was injured, Hooper was injured, Winnall was out on loan, and Rhodes was on his arse. Giving them both a decent runout saw an upturn in form.

I appreciate you saying they must earn a run in the team, but some players simply don't find form until they get that. 

Sorry don't agree.

Some players, Joao is one (up to now) because they don't/won't/can't put the effort and application in.

For example...

Watch him closely when he gets the ball, all he is looking for is to do his drag the foot over the ball trick.

When that doesn't work, he has the face on.

Report card reads, Can and should do better.

IMHO 

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, MAL said:

Sorry don't agree.

Some players, Joao is one (up to now) because they don't/won't/can't put the effort and application in.

For example...

Watch him closely when he gets the ball, all he is looking for is to do his drag the foot over the ball trick.

When that doesn't work, he has the face on.

Report card reads, Can and should do better.

IMHO 

He can, and I think he would. It's not as black n white as you state. Some players are driven and very self-motivated. Others need their right buttons pressed to coax performances out of them. That's where good management comes in. We've had a succession of managers that immediately say "didn't like that bit. You're dropped. Next in.." ..and they could do that because we had a bloated fat squad with too many options. 

Unless we sell some forwards we are going to be stuck with some who never reach their potential because they just don’t get the game time.

They then reduce their commitment and so don’t deserve regular game time.

We need some turnover in strikers or it is going to be a difficult season for some of them and the team will suffer 

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

This would be good news, Forestieri apart, Joao is the only quality forward we have. 

I agree with your general opinion of Joao as he is capable of so much more than he seems to deliver at times. Given the right set up he is capable of scoring from nothing on his own, as is FF.

I don't agree with your assessment of Fletcher. He is a very clever footballer and has consistency and determination. We need to find a way of maximising FF, Joao and Fletcher's contribution to the team. I'm not sure any team in the Championship has better attacking options if a way of playing them all to their strengths  together can be found.

I don't agree with the general feeling that Joao is afraid of the physical aspects of the game and is incapable of leading the line. I think it was at home against Cardiff last season when he made Morrison and Manga look like schoolboys. I admit that he doesn't do this all the time but I think with the right manager/run in the team/consistent role in the team he is capable of changing some people's opinion.

45 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Chicken or the egg? 

Do you mean at the end of the season when most of the teams we played had nothing to play for ?

3 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

I agree with your general opinion of Joao as he is capable of so much more than he seems to deliver at times. Given the right set up he is capable of scoring from nothing on his own, as is FF.

I don't agree with your assessment of Fletcher. He is a very clever footballer and has consistency and determination. We need to find a way of maximising FF, Joao and Fletcher's contribution to the team. I'm not sure any team in the Championship has better attacking options if a way of playing them all to their strengths  together can be found.

I guess I get sucked into the Joao v Fletcher thing, when debating with posters on here Would I keep Fletcher as part of our squad? For sure, he has much to offer, and I’m not blind to what he contributes. Do I think we can sustain a promotion challenge, using Fletcher as a lone striker? No I do not, we need far more than what Fletcher brings to the table.