Have we sold our ground

6 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Yeah, well run club...losing millions up to now, needing to sell off debt to the only skint Saudi, and taking out a 3m quid loan from Bin Laden's family to keep the lights on. Now airing their dirty laundry to everyone at high court.  Yes, they have been promoted on a lower budget than ours, but make no mistake they've spent more money than they earn clearly.  

They lost £13.5M in 2011 and £13M in 2012 at a time when spending was much lower than it is now but there was no FFP or P&S so no problem.

5 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Money's money, who cared where it comes from? Do you need where every penny has come from? Do you think Chelsea got their money from the founder of Greenpeace?

Thankfully a lot of fans do.

Stop the United comparisons. McCabe has been at the club for god knows how many years. They got parachute payments after relegation in 2007, and since that they got relegated to League One, endured some dreadful seasons and chucked money down the toilet. 

They struck lucky with Wilder. But how many poor appointments did McCabe make prior to that? Robson? Weir? Adams? He finally got one right, and he got it very right fair play to him. 

DC has made plenty of mistakes and has chucked money at it, but the bloke had no clue about football when he arrived and has only been here 4 years. My bet is he’ll get it right quicker than McCabe did. We are already seeing signs that he’s learning from his mistakes. Plus you can’t doubt his love for the club. McCabe didn’t get United promoted this season with his backing, Wilder did with his man management and shrewd deals.

• Like 1

Football is awash with dirty money, the more money involved, the more corruption that comes with it.

All these filthy rich clubs awash with oil money, Owners with connections to royalty, whilst their countrymen starve in the streets or are forced into conflict, using weapons bought by the oil in the 1st place.

We would have accepted Mammadov's money, despite his country terrible human right's record, ditto Chinese owned clubs etc.

Even the money itself is covered in cocaine (nearly every bank note in circulation), when I go to the airport I'm scared of taking money from my shops till (the sniffer dogs get very interested).

Money equals corruption and greed, which pretty much sums up football as well.

6 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

You honestly think we'd reject Abramovich and co?

That wasn't the original question was it.

Your question also asked who cares where it comes from?

I simply answered that a fair few will do. I guess you are implying that Abromovich's wealth is not all legitimate? No doubt big business in the newly commercial Soviet Union at that time was somewhat murky but there is a difference between that and an overtly criminally funded organisation. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

That wasn't the original question was it.

Your question also asked who cares where it comes from?

I simply answered that a fair few will do. I guess you are implying that Abromovich's wealth is not all legitimate? No doubt big business in the newly commercial Soviet Union at that time was somewhat murky but there is a difference between that and an overtly criminally funded organisation. 

Don't see much of Roman nowadays, do we?

7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

He tried to get citizenship and I think it got turned down hence he is in the country less and less.

He is now an Israeli citizen and they’re free to travel to the UK without a visa.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

I couldn't care less if the money came from Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein or Ed Sheeran, money's money.

Are we really that naïve, that we think that the more money involved, the less corrupt it's source is likely to be?

40 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

Money's money, who cared where it comes from? Do you need where every penny has come from? Do you think Chelsea got their money from the founder of Greenpeace?

For the sake of argument, say DC next week sold us to some organisation that are overtly terrorist or have views and an agenda that the majority of right-thinking people would have a problem with. Said organisation issues a statement saying they have invested in us as they believe they can get us to the PL and then sell us for a significant profit that could then be used to fund their organisation. You wouldn't have a problem with that?

24 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

For the sake of argument, say DC next week sold us to some organisation that are overtly terrorist or have views and an agenda that the majority of right-thinking people would have a problem with. Said organisation issues a statement saying they have invested in us as they believe they can get us to the PL and then sell us for a significant profit that could then be used to fund their organisation. You wouldn't have a problem with that?

UAE ignoring basic human rights hardly bother city fans...would we be any different?

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

UAE ignoring basic human rights hardly bother city fans...would we be any different?

In all honesty probably not if they invested the money to develop the local community in a positive way like no one else has done previously, if they are respectful and follow our laws in their investments in our country I doubt there would be major objections.

That wasn't quite how I phrased it though was it, the UAE are not an overtly terrorist organisation looking to make money to fund terrorist acts and while they have laws that we wouldn't allow here many westerners now seem happy enough to invest their holiday money over there. 

3 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In all honesty probably not if they invested the money to develop the local community in a positive way like no one else has done previously, if they are respectful and follow our laws in their investments in our country I doubt there would be major objections.

That wasn't quite how I phrased it though was it, the UAE are not an overtly terrorist organisation looking to make money to fund terrorist acts and while they have laws that we wouldn't allow here many westerners now seem happy enough to invest their holiday money over there. 

Fair enough comment Hirsty....but where do you draw the line then?

36 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

From HSBC funding Mexican drugs cartels and terrorists, to buying lettuce from Israel grown on occupied land. There will always be links to unsavoury organisations at one point or another. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Fair enough comment Hirsty....but where do you draw the line then?

I don't know to be honest, it can be a very blurred line but like I say there is a difference between the scenario you described and ANY form of investment as was suggested.

11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I don't know to be honest, it can be a very blurred line but like I say there is a difference between the scenario you described and ANY form of investment as was suggested.

You did say... " sold us to some organisation that are overtly terrorist or have views and an agenda that the majority of right-thinking people would have a problem with. "

The UAE maybe not "overtly terrorist", but it works with Al-qaeda in Yemen....where thousands have died ...i admit its a blurred line, but maybe it also depends on how good yer eyesight is lol

Edited by asteener1867

13 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

You did say... " sold us to some organisation that are overtly terrorist or have views and an agenda that the majority of right-thinking people would have a problem with. "

The UAE maybe not "overtly terrorist", but it works with Al-qaeda in Yemen....where thousands have died ...i admit its a blurred line, but maybe it also depends on how good yer eyesight is lol

I have all the vision of a mole with cataracts! :ph34r:

I did also state that the organisation would release a statement to say they are purely funding us with a view to making a profit which would then fund the horrible intentions of their organisation, not sure UAE have done that in the case of City! 

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I have all the vision of a mole with cataracts! :ph34r:

I did also state that the organisation would release a statement to say they are purely funding us with a view to making a profit which would then fund the horrible intentions of their organisation, not sure UAE have done that in the case of City! 

I don't like the amount of money in football anyhow Hirsty mate, no matter where it ends up....

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

I don't like the amount of money in football anyhow Hirsty mate, no matter where it ends up....

agree with that 

football as i loved it has gone except for the lower leagues