Only came to Hear about the Wednesday

Funny how we seem to have left that sort of attitude.....not only left it, but more or less turned it on its head...

I was praying for Ipswich to do summat...hoping Leeds wouldn't "Fall apart again"

There you have something totally alien to how we see it today.

When I first started work at 16, you would talk to yer workmates and if you asked some of the "older lads" who they supported you would always get a few who would say 

"Both ends"

It baffled me, at the time...but a lot did.... back in the day

• Like 1

5 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Funny how we seem to have left that sort of attitude.....not only left it, but more or less turned it on its head...

I was praying for Ipswich to do summat...hoping Leeds wouldn't "Fall apart again"

There you have something totally alien to how we see it today.

When I first started work at 16, you would talk to yer workmates and if you asked some of the "older lads" who they supported you would always get a few who would say 

"Both ends"

It baffled me, at the time...but a lot did.... back in the day

It is a strange phenenomen, I'm proud to be from Sheffield and love my City, I want almost every team from Sheffield to do well, in whatever sport Speedway, Rugby League and Union, Basketball,  Ice Hockey, Netball, tiddlywinks, I also love to see my fellow Citizens doing well in whatever field they're involved in acting, music, sport etc (Sean Bean, Colin & now Wilder excepted)  but my biggest love is football my team is Wednesday and I hate those DRAWB's.

It's obvious why to us football fans, but try to explain it to someone who hasn't got a passion for Football and who doesn't understand football rivalry. 

I love my City and everything about it, but one of the things I hate most is a football Club from that City, we all know why but it doesn't really make sense when their success is bringing money into OUR City and giving it more publicity than it has had in many a long year.

After writing all that can I still say UTO & FTB! WTID! 

I have no idea but could it be that being at a football game would be the fastest way of finding out other results from around the country. So Wednesday fans would go to Bramall lane as that would be the fastest and easiest way of getting the Wednesday result. 

8 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

It is a strange phenenomen, I'm proud to be from Sheffield and love my City, I want almost every team from Sheffield to do well, in whatever sport Speedway, Rugby League and Union, Basketball,  Ice Hockey, Netball, tiddlywinks, I also love to see my fellow Citizens doing well in whatever field they're involved in acting, music, sport etc (Sean Bean, Colin & now Wilder excepted)  but my biggest love is football my team is Wednesday and I hate those DRAWB's.

It's obvious why to us football fans, but try to explain it to someone who hasn't got a passion for Football and who doesn't understand football rivalry. 

I love my City and everything about it, but one of the things I hate most is a football Club from that City, we all know why but it doesn't really make sense when their success is bringing money into OUR City and giving it more publicity than it has had in many a long year.

After writing all that can I still say UTO & FTB! WTID! 

Its because we are evolving apes and are naturally territorial.  Your descendants will hopefully lose that trait.   But they will still dislike them.

Edited by Mycroft

9 hours ago, flo said:

I have no idea but could it be that being at a football game would be the fastest way of finding out other results from around the country. So Wednesday fans would go to Bramall lane as that would be the fastest and easiest way of getting the Wednesday result. 

Yes I am old enough to confirm that is correct .I only ever went to bumhole lane to see Wednesdays score coming up.or to see a cricket match.

In the 50s and 60s, I often went to the Lane when we were away.  They put our score up every 15 minutes on the cricket pavilion scoreboard.  I'd cheer if we were winning.  Football fans weren't so stupid in those days and you wouldn't get your head kicked in.  Started getting a bit dicey in the late 60s though.  

In those days it was hard to find scores out.  I must have spent many hours hanging round paper shops for the Green Un to come out.  

I wouldn't think the Green Un existed in 1907.  

I have the Times newspapers for the Mondays after our 1890 1896 1907 and 1935 Final appearances.  None give a comprehensive report. No photos or anything.  

• Like 2

On 02/05/2019 at 23:36, flo said:

On 03/05/2019 at 18:41, Lincs Owl said:

In the 50s and 60s, I often went to the Lane when we were away.  They put our score up every 15 minutes on the cricket pavilion scoreboard.  I'd cheer if we were winning.  Football fans weren't so stupid in those days and you wouldn't get your head kicked in.  Started getting a bit dicey in the late 60s though.  

In those days it was hard to find scores out.  I must have spent many hours hanging round paper shops for the Green Un to come out.  

I wouldn't think the Green Un existed in 1907.  

I have the Times newspapers for the Mondays after our 1890 1896 1907 and 1935 Final appearances.  None give a comprehensive report. No photos or anything.  

Both these quotes are correct and reflect the attitudes of people at the time. Most of the Sheffielders I met at those times if asked, would always have a feeling for one or other of the clubs, but loved the game of football. It was a time when there was far less of the so-called PASSION for a club. You wanted your side to win , but that was not the be-all and end-all. You  went along primarily because you love the game of footballitself.

I well remember in the early '60s  being at Uni in Newcastle, and going along to wherever the best game was being played, be it at Newcastle or Sunderland, or even to watch the local S.Shields just down the road from me., and enjoying ever minute. The highlight however was always on Radio at 5pm - Sports Report - to find out how Wednesday had gone on, These were pre-mobile days and the quickest way to follow your side, be it Untied or Wednesday, was to go to the team playing at home, which always put up the scores every 15 mins

And believe me, watching football, your Opponents as well as your own side, was still very, very enjoyable.