• Peter Atherton
    • Steve Haslam
    • Derek Geary
    • Frankie Simek
    • Lewis Buxton
    • Jack Hunt
    • Liam Palmer

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/04/19 at 08:48

4 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Definitely agree on the game being rougher and having changed a lot over the years. Just seeing some of the players back in the 80s, early 90s, I thought they were phenomenal but when I start comparing their life off the pitch to the amount of practice and "professionalism" that goes with the game today, it feels like a very different situation.

They were phenominal. To be World Class and supping 8 pints and smoking 20 fags a day shows real commitment!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Roland was pure class. He was the most professional player we had with his preparation for games from the warm up to how he would cope with his opponent. Look at how he dealt with Lee Sharpe in the league Cup final who was the young player of the season that year.

Trevor Francis?

Hard to answer mi 'Lord. 

Loved the rampaging runs and goals from Mel Sterland. 

Its not often you get a side where one of your biggest goal threats is your right back and scored well above his share of goals during his time with us. 

Roland nilsson though was also a different class, but in a different way. 

Read the game brilliantly, hardly ever made a mistake and had fantastic positional sense and teamwork. 

Loved both for different reasons, so for me it's a really tough choice to separate them. 

If we're after an entertaining gung ho side playing swashbuckling football I'd pick Mel, but if we're picking the best most all round team we could have put out, Roland edges it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Loved Zico.

But Roland was the best right back in the World whilst he was playing for us.

We can't say that for any other of our players in their position in living memory.

So an easy vote for Roly

Maybe apart from Waddle. I can’t think of many better right wingers in world football during the first two years he played for us. He came to us from, arguably, the best side in Europe at that point in time and improved further. 

10 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Maybe apart from Waddle. I can’t think of many better right wingers in world football during the first two years he played for us. He came to us from, arguably, the best side in Europe at that point in time and improved further. 

I'm not one for doing down our legends.

But I don't recall Waddle winning many international caps whilst playing for us.

Just now, lanzaroteowl said:

But I don't recall Waddle winning many international caps whilst playing for us.

Due to the idiot in charge at the time, he didn't even get one whilst with us.

It can only be Roland Nilsson for me.

His professionalism, attitude & work-rate was something modern day footballers should aspire to..

The way he played, he glided across the turf, SWFC's very own Kaiser, and the way he had young Lee Sharpe (arguably the best prospect in the English game), in his pocket in the Rumbelows Cup Final in 1991 was something truly to behold..

There have been some good contenders in more recent years, namely, Buxton, Hunt, but when it comes down to it, they simply don't come close..

11 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

10 minutes ago, OWL1969 said:

Due to the idiot in charge at the time, he didn't even get one whilst with us.

This^^^. I remember there being a debate at the time about Waddle not being included plus also Taylor’s mismanagement and subsequent falling out with Gary Lineker who was one of if not the best striker in the world at the time. 

1. Roland Nilsson - one of the best all round footballers seen at S6...ever.

2. Mel Sterland - big hearted local lad made good, took some stopping in full flight.

3. Wilf Smith - good overlapping full back.

All the above played in the top flight for Wednesday and all were capped at some level (I think?)

Honourable mention for Rodrigues who was a Welsh international but perhaps was past his sell by date when he came to Wednesday from Southampton. (Again, I think?)