• Peter Atherton
    • Steve Haslam
    • Derek Geary
    • Frankie Simek
    • Lewis Buxton
    • Jack Hunt
    • Liam Palmer

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/04/19 at 08:48

Guest addedtime
4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Unless they were born post 1994...

Should have put "SEEN IN PERSON, NOT ON VIDEO" then.

12 minutes ago, addedtime said:

Should have put "SEEN IN PERSON, NOT ON VIDEO" then.

Perhaps I should. Very remiss of me. 

I just pressmued that we had no one on here numbnutted enough to judge players by video clip.

I should have remembered Dave Jones signing Nejc Pečnik and realised he might not be alone!

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Haha 1

Roland

Mel

Dan Petrescu

In that order for me. Even though Dan Petrescu didn’t feature for long he was head and shoulders above the likes of Simek, Atherton and Buxton for us. Sterland was probably one of the most exciting players on the burst I have seen. His contribution to the goals tally was exceptional for a full back. Roland was just class and he hardly ever put a foot wrong. One of the players who was always a 7/8 out of ten every game. He made the game look easy and wingers look like mugs.

Voted Nilsson

Best right back in my lifetime

Far better than Zico, Mel was a great player for us, but with Nilsson we’re talking world class

I always remember the league cup final when everyone said their speed merchant wonder kid Lee Sharp, would tear us a new one

Roland never gave him a kick

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Right. We've got the formation. We've got the keeper.

Now we move on to right back.

Remember, this is players YOU HAVE SEEN in action. Not players you've heard were good.  Otherwise we'd probably just have a team of legends from the  1930's that barely any of have seen!

Anyway. We move on to right back...

I'm sure that many will think that there hardly seems much point in doing this position as surely there is only one winner! However....though it seems in the bag I'm hoping that it will also bring out some good reminiscences, stories and memories from our fans.

Individuals who might not make the cut will still have played a major impact on the lives of Wednesday fans young and old. IT's the stories and history that pull us all together.

So remember. As well as voting, lets hear some of you memories of these guys and the games of those times.

image.png.0152b54eb180848080806a5cbea259f8.png

I understand your logic Snoots. I'm 69 almost and my Dad introduced me to Ernest Blenkinsop at the X/Pool Sportsman back in the early 60's. Will I be allowed to cast my vote for him on the basis that I have seen him ?

1 minute ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I understand your logic Snoots. I'm 69 almost and my Dad introduced me to Ernest Blenkinsop at the X/Pool Sportsman back in the early 60's. Will I be allowed to cast my vote for him on the basis that I have seen him ?

Crikey, even you Nev are giving me a thwacking for my slack voting boundaries!!!

But wait...

Hold on one minute!

Wasn't Blenkisop a left back?!

3 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Yes gone for Rolly at RB Assuming LB is up next. 

I may bend the rules for left back for you (If I have the space!)

Even if I am now stuck with the image of young Nev in hob nail boots and shorts sat on the wall outside the pub with a bottle of pop with a straw in it!;-):laugh:

Had to vote for Roland, but there are a few players there who gave us some great service in their time with us. It almost feels treasonous not to be voting for the likes of Wilf Smith, Peter Rodriguez and Zico. Life can be so hard when nostalgia kicks you in the go nads, FFS. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I may bend the rules for left back for you (If I have the space!)

Even if I am now stuck with the image of young Nev in hob nail boots and shorts sat on the wall outside the pub with a bottle of pop with a straw in it!;-):laugh:

Remember it well, unlike what I had for Brekky this morn, it was Ginger Beer lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

Had to vote for Roland, but there are a few players there who gave us some great service in their time with us. It almost feels treasonous not to be voting for the likes of Wilf Smith, Peter Rodriguez and Zico. Life can be so hard when nostalgia kicks you in the go nads, FFS. 

Certainly is.

Those three alone that you mention gave us 23 years service between then and 715 games!

Sad not to see Peter Johnson (Owls 1957-64) included in the vote. The predecessor of Wilf Smith, he was an ever-present during my early days at Hillsborough. Mind you, full back was a rather agricultural position in those days; the job mainly involved cleaning out the opposing winger and hoofing the ball upfield! (I just watched a b & w of a mudbath against ManU in 1961 - not for the faint-hearted!)

• Like 1

Rodriguez...I was up at Sunderland for the Third round of the FA Cup. We were 2-0 down and backs against the wall. A Sunderland ball was played inside Rodriguez to (Could have been Tueart) who ever, he was away. Rodriguez just gave up. Nice rolled cross toward the penalty spot...BANG  3-0 Sunderland. I couldn't wait to get rid of Rodriguez ! He went during the summer to Southampton. The Following May Rodriguez was there at Wembley Picking up the Cup as captain with Jim McAlliog for company. Why is football so cruel !   

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Very hard to choose between Nillson and Sterland,  but I've gone for Mel because of his hair.

Nilsson because the chosen formation is 4-4-2.

Now if it was 3-5-2 and you needed a right wing back then Mel’s your man without a doubt.

Used to love those swashbuckling runs as he brushed opponents aside.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, waynecoyne14 said:

ray blackhall must be one of the worst i've seen

Was never a massive fan myself but he was steady for div 3, but as for worst....

Maurice Ross

Gregg Fee

Ian Hendon

Ryan Green

Jon Otsemeboor

Just a few right backs off the top of my head that were MUCH worse.

Edited by sheriwozgod

13 minutes ago, MoorfOwl said:

Sad not to see Peter Johnson (Owls 1957-64) included in the vote. The predecessor of Wilf Smith, he was an ever-present during my early days at Hillsborough. Mind you, full back was a rather agricultural position in those days; the job mainly involved cleaning out the opposing winger and hoofing the ball upfield! (I just watched a b & w of a mudbath against ManU in 1961 - not for the faint-hearted!)

Me too, mate, though I guess I really didn’t expect to see him included.

Johnson and Megson were the standard I judged all full backs afterwards on.

The days of the ever present, reliable, tough tackling fullback the likes of who seemed to disappear just like black and white tv.