• Peter Atherton
    • Steve Haslam
    • Derek Geary
    • Frankie Simek
    • Lewis Buxton
    • Jack Hunt
    • Liam Palmer

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/04/19 at 08:48

Right. We've got the formation. We've got the keeper.

Now we move on to right back.

Remember, this is players YOU HAVE SEEN in action. Not players you've heard were good.  Otherwise we'd probably just have a team of legends from the  1930's that barely any of have seen!

Anyway. We move on to right back...

I'm sure that many will think that there hardly seems much point in doing this position as surely there is only one winner! However....though it seems in the bag I'm hoping that it will also bring out some good reminiscences, stories and memories from our fans.

Individuals who might not make the cut will still have played a major impact on the lives of Wednesday fans young and old. IT's the stories and history that pull us all together.

So remember. As well as voting, lets hear some of you memories of these guys and the games of those times.

image.png.0152b54eb180848080806a5cbea259f8.png

Edited by Lord Snooty

13 minutes ago, Hitcat said:

Easiest vote anyone will ever have to make. 

Yup

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Unless they were born post 1994...

That’d be some memory. I know Nilsson was the best we’ve had but I doubt a babe in arms could appreciate his talent. 

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Very hard to choose between Nillson and Sterland,  but I've gone for Mel because of his hair.

Magnificent example of the tight knit locks of the time there from Mel.

Rolands late 80's euro-mullet reminded me of a polished peanut shell

image.png.f7f324c282e85692c1259f29f8cf9d4c.png

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

Very hard to choose between Nillson and Sterland,  but I've gone for Mel because of his hair.

They were both superb weren't they. Ive gone for Rolls Royce Nilsson due to him him being true international class.

13 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Thanks for your vote and reasoning.

This is exactly why we have the vote.

I’m so grateful for my memories of the good times. Gives you nothing but admiration for the fans that came after and deserve good times of their own.

Always feel sorry for Mel Sterland in these polls / dream teams, because he was absolutely brilliant yet gets overshadowed for the RB position by the sheer genius of Roland Nilsson every time.

So I've voted for Zico because he was one of my earliest heroes even though Nilsson was a better player than him, if that makes sense.  There was no finer sight than Sterland marauding up the right wing with opponents just bouncing off him, and of course he scored a load of goals as well. Deserved far more than just the one England cap.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Always feel sorry for Mel Sterland in these polls / dream teams, because he was absolutely brilliant yet gets overshadowed for the RB position by the sheer genius of Roland Nilsson every time.

So I've voted for Zico because he was one of my earliest heroes even though Nilsson was a better player than him, if that makes sense.  There was no finer sight than Sterland marauding up the right wing with opponents just bouncing off him, and of course he scored a load of goals as well. Deserved far more than just the one England cap.

Thanks Alan. Super post. And that's what I want these threads to be about. Discussing these legends and their merits.

Every generation has their own.

Sterland surely holds a place in the hearts of many of our generation. Not only because he was part of the story of us climbing back to the top. But also because he had the other thing....he was one of us.

A Wednesday fan out there on the park living the dream of the man in the stands. A Sheffield lad representing The Wednesday.

It's real life Roy of the Rovers stuff isn't it.

And of course he played all over the park for us.

347 games for the club speaks its own story.

He was around at a time when there was plenty of quality around the country in the right back birth too.

27 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

He was looking an excellent player. Shame he picked up that bad injury. Ankle wasn't it?  Seemed to be out for ages.

Yeah think it was broken? Can't remember the exact injury. From memory it was against Palace. He never really came back the same player.

Got to mention the famous goal against Millwall as well.