• Peter Atherton
    • Steve Haslam
    • Derek Geary
    • Frankie Simek
    • Lewis Buxton
    • Jack Hunt
    • Liam Palmer

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/04/19 at 08:48

I saw the last few seasons of sterland and yes he was one of our own. BUT Roland wasn't international class, he was world class. The best rb in the world at the time. Still the best player in their position I've seen play for Wednesday and the only player I've seen better in their position in the flesh was Zidane. If full backs were still picked for their defensive ability alone and if he was playing now he'd be worth £50-75m. Perversely Mel might be worth more today because of his marauding runs but for me it's a defenders job to defend. The only full backs in the world I'd consider in the same class as Roland in my lifetime would be Ashley Cole (vastly underrated) Lahm and Maldini. Privileged to have watched him.

Edited by damianb1

4 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Who is the keeper,  I must have missed it. 

Big Kev nicked the vote.

17 years and 400 games gave him a lot of people to impress it seems.

Generations even.

image.thumb.png.e876405a60aa63c4d6205d09f8cf7fd8.png

Edited by Lord Snooty
  • Like 1

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Big Kev nicked the vote.

17 years gave him a lot of people to impress it seems.

Generations even.

image.thumb.png.e876405a60aa63c4d6205d09f8cf7fd8.png

While I rate Kieren higher than Kev for goalkeeping skill, there is something about the Wednesday team I grew up with featuring Pressman that will always make me hold him high in regard... more of nostalgia than outstanding goalkeeping talent. But I'm looking at history with rose-tinted glasses here ;)

1 minute ago, N0rtherner said:

While I rate Kieren higher than Kev for goalkeeping skill, there is something about the Wednesday team I grew up with featuring Pressman that will always make me hold him high in regard... more of nostalgia than outstanding goalkeeping talent. But I'm looking at history with rose-tinted glasses here ;)

Many of those games in the top flight too.

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Many of those games in the top flight too.

Indeed, however, I have an impression the top flight football has only become increasingly more demanding of players over the past decades... maybe I'm wrong, but I have a feeling the athletic prowess of players since turn of the century is a notch or two higher than the older ones. Skill probably less so - but now to succeed in top flight players must have the full package.

Or I am about to have my incorrect impression soundly refuted in a few seconds ;)

Just now, shandypants said:

There could be a couple of Norwegian midfielders to vote for later. 

Ooo yea, don't get me started on that Lekaj chap... er, sorry, cove ;)

From a Wednesday perspective, I'm very happy to concede the win to Sweden with most succesful players at the club, I'm not overly fond of any Norwegians we've had here... Rudi included.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, N0rtherner said:

Indeed, however, I have an impression the top flight football has only become increasingly more demanding of players over the past decades... maybe I'm wrong, but I have a feeling the athletic prowess of players since turn of the century is a notch or two higher than the older ones. Skill probably less so - but now to succeed in top flight players must have the full package.

Or I am about to have my incorrect impression soundly refuted in a few seconds ;)

Who knows. It's all opinion. Game was a bit rougher back in the day. Less protection for flair player and goalkeepers. Quagmire pitches.

One of the best keepers I've ever seen was Southall. I thought he was magnificent. I'd have probably never have thought of him as an athlete though, despite his remarkable and deceptive agility.

6 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

I agree. I voted for Westwood even though I have fond memories and huge admiration for cuddly Kev. It would have been good to see how good Pressman would have been if he was around now. My guess is that he would have more of an athletic physique. 

Edited by shandypants

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

I agree. I voted for Westwood even though I have found memories and huge admiration for cuddly Kev. It would have been good to see how good Pressman would have been if he was around now. My guess is that he would have more of an athletic physique. 

He still is around now, he was better 25 years since.I believe he's now got a less athletic physique,

Edited by OWL1969
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Who knows. It's all opinion. Game was a bit rougher back in the day. Less protection for flair player and goalkeepers. Quagmire pitches.

One of the best keepers I've ever seen was Southall. I thought he was magnificent. I'd have probably never have thought of him as an athlete though, despite his remarkable and deceptive agility.

Definitely agree on the game being rougher and having changed a lot over the years. Just seeing some of the players back in the 80s, early 90s, I thought they were phenomenal but when I start comparing their life off the pitch to the amount of practice and "professionalism" that goes with the game today, it feels like a very different situation.

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Fantastic keeper, that save from Varadi? Brilliant, though I wasn't saying that at the time.