Fletcher Form

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, agentwalker said:

This is what happens when you give players game time and not play one rest one. Same with Hutch. His body's getting used to playing 90 mins of football and it's working 

Exactly this, players don't need resting all the time. Look at the difference when you have a settled side instead of constant team changes every week.

30 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

His work around the box has always been good, but now he’s getting that eye for goal too. 

Other players are trying to find him more too.  

We we desperately need him to stay fit. 

Regular in sync partner would be the cherry on the cake.

Actually. The way Bruce has us set up Hooper would be perfect for the second striker role.

Shame he's been crocked.

2 hours ago, agentwalker said:

This is what happens when you give players game time and not play one rest one. Same with Hutch. His body's getting used to playing 90 mins of football and it's working 

I  think Bullen having a word with Hutch to calm it down has helped no end .. when was the last time he was booked? just checked, Brentford. but who'd have thought he'd have 3 yellow cards this season!! When was the last time he made a ridiculous challenge?

Its a testament Hutch's character that he's taken on board what Bully has said and become more composed in his midfield role. Its massively improved not just him but also the squad as a result ...

19 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We seem to have a spine to our side for a change

Absolutely.

Westwood

Hector-Lees

Bannan-Hutch-Reach

Fletcher

Great spine.

The vast majority of the team picks itself now. In fact I would say we have 10 nailed-on players.

The only less than satisfactory position right now is who partners Fletcher.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

The only less than satisfactory position right now is who partners Fletcher.

And it's clearly a question that Bruce has been asking when you look at the players he's used alongside him. He's clearly prepared to give them all the opportunity to make that claim for 'the final spot'.

59 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

His work around the box has always been good, but now he’s getting that eye for goal too. 

Other players are trying to find him more too.  

We we desperately need him to stay fit. 

His goal-scoring for us is under appreciated. In 16/17 he scored more per minute than any other player.

It was only in the first half of 17/18 that he lost his scoring boots. His partnership with Hooper worked brilliantly for the team, because Hooper was scoring prolifically by his side.

2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

I'll be honest here, I was starting to lose patience with him. He wasn't scoring but working hard. That was doing my head in and I was thinking he was shot. Way to prove me wrong Fletch. That finish last night was delightful, full of confidence. Long may he continue to make me look daft. Though to be fair that's not hard. 

Agree, never been his biggest fan and always thought he had little to no goal threat. But this is the best form he's showed since joining us and this has a lot to do with playing regularly and Bruce.

31 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Agree, never been his biggest fan and always thought he had little to no goal threat. But this is the best form he's showed since joining us and this has a lot to do with playing regularly and Bruce.

Genuine question to you as I know you are a huge FF fan.

Who in your opinion was the bigger goal-threat in 16/17? FF or Fletcher? 

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Genuine question to you as I know you are a huge FF fan.

Who in your opinion was the bigger goal-threat in 16/17? FF or Fletcher? 

Forestieri.

I know the stats don't back that up but from observation I have never (until now) had any faith in Fletcher scoring his chances or indeed getting into the positions to have a chance. Over the past few months I have seen a massive change in Fletcher and how he plays, he is in the box he wins more headers he has slimmed down and his finishing which throughout his career has not been his strong point has improved dramatically. He plays much more as a striker than a link man. Even when he had his good partnership with Hooper which worked well he still didn't look like the striker he is now.

I'm still of the opinion that Forestieri is a special player. He can do things that no other player we have can and I know since his first season with us he has never replicated that form I still believe he can with the right management, system and an end to his fitness issues. I think the only time he has been fully fit and used correctly since his first year was the end of last year under Jos, when he scored 5 in 10 (I may be off with those stats) and looked like the key player I believe him to be.

I know you are a fan of Fletch, and on his recent performances I can now see why you are and agree with your opinions of why he is key to us.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Forestieri.

I know the stats don't back that up but from observation I have never (until now) had any faith in Fletcher scoring his chances or indeed getting into the positions to have a chance. Over the past few months I have seen a massive change in Fletcher and how he plays, he is in the box he wins more headers he has slimmed down and his finishing which throughout his career has not been his strong point has improved dramatically. He plays much more as a striker than a link man. Even when he had his good partnership with Hooper which worked well he still didn't look like the striker he is now.

I'm still of the opinion that Forestieri is a special player. He can do things that no other player we have can and I know since his first season with us he has never replicated that form I still believe he can with the right management, system and an end to his fitness issues. I think the only time he has been fully fit and used correctly since his first year was the end of last year under Jos, when he scored 5 in 10 (I may be off with those stats) and looked like the key player I believe him to be.

I know you are a fan of Fletch, and on his recent performances I can now see why you are and agree with your opinions of why he is key to us.

Great points.

Im a big fan of both. Though not when FF plays up top of course. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

Thought he was poor under previous managers, seems to have improved massively since Jos booted out. Well done to him.

Fletcher goals excluding penalties:-

16/17 under Carlos - 2191 minutes - 9 goals (goal/243 mins)

17/18 under Carlos - 1070 minutes - 2 goals (goal/535 mins)

18/19 - 2001 minutes - 9 goals (goal/222 mins)

Though it’s worth looking at how he has done since Jos went.

Under Jos - 900 minutes - 3 goals (goal/300 mins)

Since Jos - 1100 minutes - 6 goals (goal/183 mins)

So whilst I disagree with you that he was poor, he certainly is enjoying success under Bruce. Long may it continue.

That overhead kick has just given him loads of confidence in his scoring ability, it was def a confidence thing IMO - missing sitter after sitter you could see he was almost trying too hard.

Also the Black and Decker sander which he borrowed off Joleon Lescott has helped his head shape so it doesn't just spoon off at a 90 degree angle over the bar.

In all seriousness I've been his worst critic, his misses have cost us points but he may be coming into form just at the right time.   Would love to see him and Winnall on Sat and with Hooper potentially coming back we'll still have 3 decent strikers going into run in (if Joao is indeed injured for rest of season)....+ Nuhiu who will chip in with the odd defensive header and cheeky lay off.

• Haha 1

Wow heres some food for thought...

Our forwards’ records since Jos left:-

Joao - 460 minutes - 1 goal

Forestieri - 393 minutes - 1 goal

Matias - 510 minutes - 0 goal

Nuhiu - 233 minutes - 1 goal

Winnall - 91 minutes - 0 goal

———————————————-

Combined - 1687 minutes - 3 goals

————————————————

Fletcher - 1100 minutes - 6 goals

Overheard at training ground this morning, Steve Bruce “ Where’s that effing cottonwool fellas.”

Top player now playing with confidence. 

Shame we haven’t had a striker along with him playing regularly as they’d be a real handful.  

Id like to see Winnal play with fletcher but sadly on last nights evidence he’s struggling for fitness. Maybe the international break might just help.