Sunderland ‘Til I Die - A terrifying watch

SkegHubro

Just about to watch episode 6. I don't have Netflix which is why it's taken me until now

A few things...

How can people slate Martin Bain? He worked his socks off trying to bring in players and support the manager but ultimately the club was a sinking ship. He had no budget and was expected to build a competitive team on scraps. You could see how hard he was trying to bring in Ross McCormack and Chris Martin. The deals fell through and you could sense his frustration. 

The Sunderland fans didn't come across very well IMO. All they did was demand when they knew there was no money available and the club were going through a rough patch. Instead of supporting the players and getting behind them all they did was get on their backs and sing 'you're not fit to wear the shirt'

All in all I don't think there was a lack of effort from their players just a lack of quality and perhaps a lack of experience at key moments. As for Rodwell I don't blame him personally. If the club offered him a 5 year 70k a week contract then why should he break it and move on? The club were stupid enough to give it him in the first place

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I think they’re making a Birmingham one next. Was only flicking through social media and saw it referenced.

Really?

This is going to become the norm as clubs will need more money than ever when Covid finally disappears, which is sad really as there is already too much exposure through players on social media

I miss the days of not knowing what players are up to every minute of the day. Nowadays they post photos and videos of every aspect of their lives

Thank god I don't have Instagram

5 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Really?

This is going to become the norm as clubs will need more money than ever when Covid finally disappears, which is sad really as there is already too much exposure through players on social media

I miss the days of not knowing what players are up to every minute of the day. Nowadays they post photos and videos of every aspect of their lives

Thank god I don't have Instagram

Just searched online for any reference of a forthcoming Birmingham one and can’t find anything. Seriously hope I didn’t dream it as that would be weird!

Sure I saw it and a voiceover was saying something about them ‘struggling to stay afloat’ as footage of players walking down the tunnel was being shown.

52 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Just searched online for any reference of a forthcoming Birmingham one and can’t find anything. Seriously hope I didn’t dream it as that would be weird!

Sure I saw it and a voiceover was saying something about them ‘struggling to stay afloat’ as footage of players walking down the tunnel was being shown.

You probably did see it but covid has put it on the back burner for now. Like I said above I wouldn't be suprised to see more clubs getting involved in filming docs as many are going to be out of pocket when football does finally resume

I watched the Sunderland one as it's a first of a kind but I won't be watching anymore unless it's Wednesday of course

Never been keen on player/club exposure. It creates too many off field incidents

44 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

You probably did see it but covid has put it on the back burner for now. Like I said above I wouldn't be suprised to see more clubs getting involved in filming docs as many are going to be out of pocket when football does finally resume

I watched the Sunderland one as it's a first of a kind but I won't be watching anymore unless it's Wednesday of course

Never been keen on player/club exposure. It creates too many off field incidents

The 2018/2019 season of Sunderland til I die is on Netflix now.

Wont spoil it for you.

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

I didn’t watch the Sunderland one for two reasons: Mrs owns the remote control, and I feared it would be too close to our situation for comfort.

• Haha 1

On 15/12/2018 at 14:34, Pod9 said:

Pressed play but then immediately turned it off. 

It it hit me that we could be in that exact situation at the end of the season. 

Is it worth a watch? 

I've been watching it and I keep thinking the biggest difference, besides our two leagues, between us and them is the color the stripes...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, pachyderm said:

I've been watching it and I keep thinking the biggest difference, besides our two leagues, between us and them is the color the stripes...

I watched series one while I’ve been off work. 

Martin Bain was never going to succeed in that position. I though he came across okay but it was an impossible job. 

It goes to show what can go wrong if the chairman losses interest. 

Chris Coleman also came across quite well, giving that I couldn’t stand him before the show. 

6 hours ago, Pod9 said:

I watched series one while I’ve been off work. 

Martin Bain was never going to succeed in that position. I though he came across okay but it was an impossible job. 

It goes to show what can go wrong if the chairman losses interest. 

Chris Coleman also came across quite well, giving that I couldn’t stand him before the show. 

Thought it was a great watch and simply Hollywood how it all played out, expected to be promoted straight back to Premier League at first attempt, get relegated.

Season 2, get to the final of the pìss pot cup, then lose on penalties, get to play off final, then lose to 96 minute goal last kick of the season.

Martin Bain, simply couldn't win, owner says no more money, then everything stopped with him.

Jack Rodwell draining funds but not playing, I completely agree with Rodwell for saying no I'm not walking away from a ton of money, but why have a player each such money but dont play him (evening Almen) was a good player before he went there yet just seemed to hang around and do nothing.

Didn't like that Charlie, something about him didn't seem genuine to me.

And Donald Steward was better in Benidorm.

😈

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Thought it was a great watch and simply Hollywood how it all played out, expected to be promoted straight back to Premier League at first attempt, get relegated.

Season 2, get to the final of the pìss pot cup, then lose on penalties, get to play off final, then lose to 96 minute goal last kick of the season.

Martin Bain, simply couldn't win, owner says no more money, then everything stopped with him.

Jack Rodwell draining funds but not playing, I completely agree with Rodwell for saying no I'm not walking away from a ton of money, but why have a player each such money but dont play him (evening Almen) was a good player before he went there yet just seemed to hang around and do nothing.

Didn't like that Charlie, something about him didn't seem genuine to me.

And Donald Steward was better in Benidorm.

😈

Maybe coulda used this for those of us who haven't finished the show?

6 hours ago, pachyderm said:

Hide contents

Maybe coulda used this for those of us who haven't finished the show?

Reveal hidden contents

What exactly has he spoiled? 

He only talks about Rodwell, and the ends to the 2 seasons which are common knowledge anyway? 

19 hours ago, fudge27 said:

What exactly has he spoiled? 

He only talks about Rodwell, and the ends to the 2 seasons which are common knowledge anyway? 

It was more of a joke but he did kinda let out how it turns out, no? 

I'm sure most of us know their fate. 

Also, are you ok? 

Completed the second series yesterday

I thought Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven were a breath of fresh air. Considering they are from the south and didn't have any connection to Sunderland before the takeover I thought they took to the club straight away. I liked the fact they were very open and were prepared to interact with the fanbase. I think their biggest downfall was the fact they ran the club more like passionate fans rather than owner/director. You could see how much they suffered and how much it meant to them and the fact they paid well over the odds for Grigg showed their determination to get Sunderland up (a bit like Chansiri signing Rhodes for us)

Sunderland were a club in decline well before they took over and they had an uphill battle from day one having to reduce a ridiculously high wage bill. Players like Rodwell on £50-70k a week for example. Also losing Maja for next to nothing was out of their hands and derailed their promotion bid

All in all well worth the time watching the series as it gives fans a good insight into how clubs are run