Sunderland ‘Til I Die - A terrifying watch

SkegHubro

I recommend everyone check out the new Netflix show Sunderland Til I Die. Was watching it last night and there's a terrifying scene where the chief exec and the youth coach are outlining a new transfer policy to Simon Grayson. The idea is that they should focus on bringing through Academy players and only signing players under 25. 

Sound familiar? Worked a treat for Sunderland last season... :carlosswfc:

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 18:32, Greengrass said:

Sunderland should get promoted this season. Maybe it's what they needed, start again, regroup, stronger next season.

it's not the end of the world being in the 3rd division …..after the crap they've endured I bet there fans are loving Saturday nights again .

On 15/12/2018 at 11:25, SkegHubro said:

I recommend everyone check out the new Netflix show Sunderland Til I Die. Was watching it last night and there's a terrifying scene where the chief exec and the youth coach are outlining a new transfer policy to Simon Grayson. The idea is that they should focus on bringing through Academy players and only signing players under 25. 

Pretty much every club that is seeing success at the minute is using this method.  Christ even Man City do it.

Just not bothered...

On 15/12/2018 at 11:25, SkegHubro said:

I generally think this is the best recruitment process as your players are then saleable assets, and you're not relying banking on a win or bust scenario (like our recruitment under CC).

But for it to Work the recruitment process and identification has got to be high end; and you need the right experienced pros to guide the squad.

SUnderland have poo recruitment and the worst core of 'experienced' pros imagineable; so should have addressed those issues first

Tbf...I have no qualms with a club focusing on youth products and players 25 and under.

Makes far more sense than signing a bunch of over the hill has been on lucrative, long-term contracts...

Sunderland needed to bottom out and get new owners in. They've done that now and I'd expect them to get promoted this season, before establishing themselves as a force in the Championship.

1 hour ago, fudge27 said:

I generally think this is the best recruitment process as your players are then saleable assets, and you're not relying banking on a win or bust scenario (like our recruitment under CC).

But for it to Work the recruitment process and identification has got to be high end; and you need the right experienced pros to guide the squad.

SUnderland have poo recruitment and the worst core of 'experienced' pros imagineable; so should have addressed those issues first

yeah, i completely agree. i wasnt so much thinking that this policy is wrong, just worrying about how badly it can go if it’s not managed properly. 

this program is a cracking watch though. if only we were filming a doc this season we might find out what’s gone on wi Westy, Hutch and the rest. 

Edited by SkegHubro

9 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

expand ...

its cuts to a scene where sunderland are in a mess as to getting loan signings in after the departures of Grabban and Vaughan, Martin Bain pulls Rodwell into a meeting hoping to get him off of his backside and try and make him see sense that its best for all parties he leaves, later in the episode it reveals how he refused to go anywhere,quite sad really.

Just watched the last episode. I must say the Rodwell situation was disgusting. Happy to see a club struggle as long as he was getting paid. 

I really warmed to Chris Coleman. Came across like a really decent bloke. 

I'm confident Sunderland will bounce back as a very useful team again. The new owners seem decent and the fans are starting to fall in love with the club again. 

23 hours ago, torryowl said:

it's not the end of the world being in the 3rd division …..after the crap they've endured I bet there fans are loving Saturday nights again .

As a football fan, you just want to see your team give it 100% , score goals , and win reasonably regularly. 

I think  their fans are definitely enjoying this season after years of misery watching overpaid,  lazy,  thieves. 

I read on social media that they are going to try and beat the record attendance for a 3rd tier match this season...never gonna happen!. League one maybe but I think boxing day 1979 attendance will never be topped.

Binge watched this over the past two evenings. Huge similarities with our current plight and some notable differences. Felt for Mark Bain who was doing a really difficult job with zero money. I thought that both Grayson and Coleman came across as likeable blokes. Good watch, if a little frightening relating it to our own situation.

Very good and very insightful.

Just shows that fro all fans yell and scream about bringing in this player and that, there's a myriad of variables to deal with.

Bain worked hard

Rodwell's a ***

Didn't think Grabben covered himself in glory

McGeady's attitude explains why he did nowt for us

Grayson was never going to get them stabilized let alone up

The non-playing staff suffer as much as the fans