Sunderland ‘Til I Die - A terrifying watch

SkegHubro

Watched the first 3 episodes and enjoying it so far. The CEO has come in for stick from the likes of Michael Gray, who has referred to it as a vanity project and a demonstration of his watch collection (he has a lot by the looks of it) but he was acting under Ellis Shorts instructions, and was ultimately there to sell the club. 

Not seen the Rodwell bit yet, but putting the money to one side, his employer gave him that contract, and I assume they are asking to break that contract. I know football is so far from reality it's unreal but if my employer gave me a three year deal, with no protection for the club or break clause, I'd be reluctant to step away from it. My view might change when I see said episode!

11 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Very good and very insightful.

Just shows that fro all fans yell and scream about bringing in this player and that, there's a myriad of variables to deal with.

Bain worked hard

Rodwell's a ***

Didn't think Grabben covered himself in glory

McGeady's attitude explains why he did nowt for us

Grayson was never going to get them stabilized let alone up

The non-playing staff suffer as much as the fans

Thought Mcgeady came across well, can tell he wanted to win and do well for the club, don't think questioning tactics makes him look bad. If none of our players were questioning Luhukay's I'd be concerned.

45 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Also why should Rodwell walk away from a contract like that? The club were stupid enough to give it him with no relegation clause, clubs are quick enough to discard players at will so for me they only have themselves to blame. 

That's true but he did say he wanted to play football somewhere.

Mind you, we should remember that the film isn't going to show everything plus it was made by a firm owned by Sunderland fans  - Fulwell 73

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/dec/12/sunderland-til-i-die-showcasing-everything-right-wrong-in-english-football-documentary-netflix

Overall, though, a fascinating watch

6 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Also why should Rodwell walk away from a contract like that? The club were stupid enough to give it him with no relegation clause, clubs are quick enough to discard players at will so for me they only have themselves to blame. 

Completely agree, I thought it was Grabban that came across as the villain, getting the face on because he'd been subbed off a couple of times, and leaving them bottom of the league without a striker was as he put it "selfish" in my opinion.

I've watched the first 3 episodes, what a basket case of a club - although I suspect that if a similar documentary was made about Wednesday or Chesterfield it'd make Sunderland look like they were run by geniuses.

There's a bit of weird editing going on - when Sunderland score at Hillsborough it cuts to a reaction shot of Grayson which is clearly filmed at the Stadium Of Light, and there were shots of him standing in the dressing room area at Hillsborough (Wednesday pictures in the background) before they played at Bury.

Also did anyone notice that the scout who was writing off a player for being soft just because he played in gloves was our very own Glynn Snodin - who when he was around the same age as the player in question had a blonde highlighted mullet...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I don't mind the transfer policy of signing younger players, as long as there's room for a bit of flexibility if a player is identified who you're very sure would be a big help to the club. We've seen multiple Newcastle managers banging their head against a brick wall trying to get Ashley and Charnley to sanction signing players who are just a year over their fairly arbitrary age limit.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

2 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Just on ep.6. Massive respect to For Jonny Williams for agreeing to film his appointment with a Sports Psychologist. 

Can’t have been easy to open up in private, let alone in front of the cameras. 

Comes across as a really nice kid doesn't he. Not your stereotypical footballer whatsoever.

Just now, i used to be sc_owl said:

Yeah, one of the few at Sunderland that came across well. Honeyman too. 

Yeah, Fletcher seemed down to earth also. The whole Rodwell situation is debatable but at the end of the day it can't be easy to walk away from 70k a week knowing you'll only get a fraction of that at your next club. Ultimately it was Sunderland that gave him that daft contract.

Grabban though. Reyt tailface.

7 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Yeah, Fletcher seemed down to earth also. The whole Rodwell situation is debatable but at the end of the day it can't be easy to walk away from 70k a week knowing you'll only get a fraction of that at your next club. Ultimately it was Sunderland that gave him that daft contract.

Grabban though. Reyt tailface.

Agree on Grabban. 

The Rodwell one is complicated. The club should have negotiated a better contract.  However, Rodwell must have been very comfortable financially. He could have agreed to postpone some or all of his wages until Sunderland were back in the Premier League - almost like a loan to the club. Got the impression he was a tool, but the show has obviously been edited with an agenda in mind.