Sunderland ‘Til I Die - A terrifying watch

SkegHubro

On 19/12/2018 at 09:28, alanharper said:

There's a bit of weird editing going on - when Sunderland score at Hillsborough it cuts to a reaction shot of Grayson which is clearly filmed at the Stadium Of Light, and there were shots of him standing in the dressing room area at Hillsborough (Wednesday pictures in the background) before they played at Bury.

Yep the editing leaves a bit to be desired.

2 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

46,000 there today against Bradford.

That's incredible in League One.

Quite ironic given how fickle their fans usually are. Used to with just down the road from the stadium and you could tell if they were losing at half time by all the fans leaving lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SiJ said:

Need to watch the whole series (don't ruin the ending lol) 

Pretty amazes they agreed to this...but then this is Sunderland and the Ellis Short regime were absolutely useless.

Think the club thought promotion would be a formality and a documentary would be so feel good investors would be falling over themselves to get involved with such a well-run club

10 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Think the club thought promotion would be a formality and a documentary would be so feel good investors would be falling over themselves to get involved with such a well-run club

Yep, apparently, this was meant to be a PR piece to attract new investors, a takeover etc...

Pretty much sums up the mindset of the club at that time. 

It's a great documentary though. Gives you a proper insight into the inner runnings of a big football club and the amount of "normal" people that are involved and affected by what happens on the pitch. 

Coleman and Kit Symonds come across as decent blokes, though hopelessly out of their depth for the situation they find themselves in. Similar goes for Grayson, though you do wonder how he's managed to have a half decent managerial career, as the bloke has no real charisma, or personality (on screen). 

As for the players...well Rodwell comes across as the parasite he is, Grabban comes across like a bit of a knobber too. 

Felt very sorry for Jonny Williams. Clearly, a lot more going on there than a bad run with injuries. Seemed like a top bloke who needs a break. 

On 19/12/2018 at 03:28, alanharper said:

I've watched the first 3 episodes, what a basket case of a club - although I suspect that if a similar documentary was made about Wednesday or Chesterfield it'd make Sunderland look like they were run by geniuses.

There's a bit of weird editing going on - when Sunderland score at Hillsborough it cuts to a reaction shot of Grayson which is clearly filmed at the Stadium Of Light, and there were shots of him standing in the dressing room area at Hillsborough (Wednesday pictures in the background) before they played at Bury.

Also did anyone notice that the scout who was writing off a player for being soft just because he played in gloves was our very own Glynn Snodin - who when he was around the same age as the player in question had a blonde highlighted mullet...

I noticed they had a game on 31st September. 

Thought a lot of this was so close to home. That guy calling Coleman a prickk and wanting to scrap with him. Imagine Jos getting that type of aggro eventually. 

13 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

I noticed they had a game on 31st September. 

Thought a lot of this was so close to home. That guy calling Coleman a prickk and wanting to scrap with him. Imagine Jos getting that type of aggro eventually. 

Bloke waited for him. What a weirdo.

Don't rate Coleman all that much as a manager (club level wise anyway), but he seems like a decent bloke.

I'd have also backed him in a scrap against that fat waster. 

11 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Don't rate Coleman all that much as a manager (club level wise anyway), but he seems like a decent bloke.

Shouting at him from behind a railing.. Muppet

7 hours ago, SiJ said:

Coleman really came across well.  You could tell he was extremely fizzed off with the owners. 

And the guy who was wanting a punch up - wonder what he thinks when he watches that back.....

• Like 1

Very good series, well worth watching. The CEO Martin Bain comes across as a right plonker, Sunderand fans quite rightly nickname him as the "David Brent" of CEO's.

In my opinion he failed to get any managerial appointment correct during his time there (the new owners sacked him). He failed with Moyes, Grayson, and Coleman. The programme focuses on Grayson and Coleman, Grayson comes across as someone way out of his depth and Coleman (and especially his assistant Kit Symons) come across as big time bullshitters.

The players were obviously poor standard, but as mentioned previously, jonny Williams came across really well, as did the stand in manager Robbie Stockdale.

The amount of "hangers on" with job titles which don't really exist at football clubs nowadays never fails to amaze me.

1 hour ago, megsonstheman said:

Very good series, well worth watching. The CEO Martin Bain comes across as a right plonker, Sunderand fans quite rightly nickname him as the "David Brent" of CEO's.

In my opinion he failed to get any managerial appointment correct during his time there (the new owners sacked him). He failed with Moyes, Grayson, and Coleman. The programme focuses on Grayson and Coleman, Grayson comes across as someone way out of his depth and Coleman (and especially his assistant Kit Symons) come across as big time bullshitters.

The players were obviously poor standard, but as mentioned previously, jonny Williams came across really well, as did the stand in manager Robbie Stockdale.

The amount of "hangers on" with job titles which don't really exist at football clubs nowadays never fails to amaze me.

Think you’re a bit harsh on the CEO. He was under a lot of pressure from the owner it seemed, and he had no money to spend on the manager and, as such, the team. 

He was hardly going to come out and slate the owner on the show, but reading between the lines that was the impression I got. 

I thought he was doing an inpossible job as well as he could. 

Done 4 episodes so far.

The taxi driver guy is my favourite. Love him. Grayson comes across very vanilla and sensible but my taxi man nails it with his comment s on him.

Coleman comes across better then I thought so far; always thought he was a bad manager got a bit lucky with wales (luck of the draw, similar to England at the World Cup) but comes across as a decent bloke so far

Really enjoyed it. Thought Coleman came across as a smashing honourable bloke. His text to the chef team was lovely. Really showed how the right manager can help bring a whole club together. He'd have battered that mouthy fan who had a go at him too I bet.

17 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Think you’re a bit harsh on the CEO. He was under a lot of pressure from the owner it seemed, and he had no money to spend on the manager and, as such, the team. 

He was hardly going to come out and slate the owner on the show, but reading between the lines that was the impression I got. 

I thought he was doing an inpossible job as well as he could. 

Correct, his job was to stop the club losing money and find new owners. He was dealing with the hand he was dealt by his boss.