Onomah

4 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

Did really well and along with hector both stood out today for me.

Wednesday started very poor though and we looked miles off the pace but it was a much improved second half and jos making a rare early sub changed the game for me bringing Forestieri on.

Yeah, that raised an eyebrow with me too. Comments on twitter suggesting Thorniley was injured though?

He was great.

hes what we needed. A different type of midfielder.

weve had umpteen good passers with no pace or strength.

hes athletic strong and can pass the ball - I thought he was our best player by a mile.

10 minutes ago, cowl said:

Yeah, that raised an eyebrow with me too. Comments on twitter suggesting Thorniley was injured though?

Penney was laying further forward and was ineffective - we looked better as soon as he went wide and ff went up top.

i don’t know why we didn’t start like that tbh

2 minutes ago, ka58 said:

Penney was laying further forward and was ineffective - we looked better as soon as he went wide and ff went up top.

i don’t know why we didn’t start like that tbh

Yeah, we've moved Penney about a bit these last few games as though we're trying to find his best position despite him looking easily at his most comfortable when playing left back or left wing-back.

47 minutes ago, cowl said:

Yeah, we've moved Penney about a bit these last few games as though we're trying to find his best position despite him looking easily at his most comfortable when playing left back or left wing-back.

Exactly. I’m glad we got the result today but was frustrated with the selection - I think the injury to fletch helped us cos we ended up going back to the system that worked in the first place.

ff in the role matias has been playing was all we needed to do.

The position he put Penney in was vintage Jos. He has now tried Hutch, Reach and Penney in the position and all have struggled because it is a stupid role. He needs to give up on it.

With 3 centre halfs Penney is fine as a wing back as he proved when  we changed it.

I thought Penney going wide had a lot more positive impact than FF coming on. FF looked to be carrying a knock to me which might be why he didn’t start 

1 hour ago, ka58 said:

He was great.

hes what we needed. A different type of midfielder.

weve had umpteen good passers with no pace or strength.

hes athletic strong and can pass the ball - I thought he was our best player by a mile.

Yep, really excited about him 

he had confidence anyway but that’ll only increase the more he plays, has the potential to be a big player for us IMO 

Edited by FreshOwl

Guest wilyfox
1 hour ago, Rogers said:

I doubt Onomah will be here to stay, unlike Clare

But he’s a good replacement for this season 

Er.. 

I really like this signing, he was treated poorly by Aston Villa, so will no doubt carry a chip on his shoulder (so to speak)

Replaced in the starting 11 by Miles Jedinak, now Jedinak is 34 years old.

A classic Steve Bruce wee wee tail up, I believe Onomah had a chance to stay at Villa for another year but Tottenham blocked that idea due to lack of playing time.

If we show Josh Onomah trust, we will be better for it. If his England Under 21 fellow midfielder James Maddison is worth 25m, then Josh maybe a 10m man atleast

15 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

You what?.

I thought he was the weak link in midfield today.

He reminds me of Ross Barkley, no doubt he will be a regular in Spurs Team and an England regular, but is he what we want NOW?.

He looks like a Prem player who has no idea what it takes to play in the championship.

Youre backed up by stats on your observations. Rated our joint second worst player yesterday; gave the ball away more than any other (3x dispossessed + 3x poor control) made few tackles, few key passes. 

Whilst im sure he’s an awesome player and looks it in fits and starts what I’ve seen of him so far, yesterday he was nowhere near our best player. 

9 hours ago, oldishowl said:

The position he put Penney in was vintage Jos. He has now tried Hutch, Reach and Penney in the position and all have struggled because it is a stupid role. He needs to give up on it.

With 3 centre halfs Penney is fine as a wing back as he proved when  we changed it.

I thought Penney going wide had a lot more positive impact than FF coming on. FF looked to be carrying a knock to me which might be why he didn’t start 

I couldn’t even fathom out what position Penney was supposed to be playing first half. Wherever it was it didn’t work. He barely got a kick.

As for Onomah he is pretty impressive. Many have been baying for a big strong pacy unit in midfield, and hey presto - you aren’t going to find many bigger, stronger or faster CMs than Josh at this level.

When there’s a 50:50 his stride and power turn in into his ball. He gets there so quickly.

He is strong in the tackle. Proper 21st century tackles - not flying lunges that excite fans yet court disaster. 

His confidence and protection of the ball were impressive. Strength and bulk to hold off players, and really good skills too.

He will have been very well coached at Spurs, Villa and England. I think key is Jos keeping him 100% grounded and focussed.

Bound to show some niaivety.

Edited by Holmowl

6 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

I really like this signing, he was treated poorly by Aston Villa, so will no doubt carry a chip on his shoulder (so to speak)

Replaced in the starting 11 by Miles Jedinak, now Jedinak is 34 years old.

A classic Steve Bruce wee wee tail up, I believe Onomah had a chance to stay at Villa for another year but Tottenham blocked that idea due to lack of playing time.

If we show Josh Onomah trust, we will be better for it. If his England Under 21 fellow midfielder James Maddison is worth 25m, then Josh maybe a 10m man atleast

From villa feedback, they thought he was lazy and wasn’t consistent enough. 

4 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Youre backed up by stats on your observations. Rated our joint second worst player yesterday; gave the ball away more than any other (3x dispossessed + 3x poor control) made few tackles, few key passes. 

Whilst im sure he’s an awesome player and looks it in fits and starts what I’ve seen of him so far, yesterday he was nowhere near our best player. 

Bonkers, absolutely bonkers 

He looked ok yesterday and v West Brom but let's not go over the top he was shocking v Forest. 

I think he adds something to the squad which is great but this all seems very Van Akenish couple of ok games he was going to be the next Maldini according to some.

Hector was mom for me yesterday.