Marco Matias

1 minute ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I remember him getting sent off / brought off against Benfica in a freindly two years ago. Didn't he get sent off against Fulham also?

Both involved rash challenges where he tried to exact revenge.

If anything he's probably had to tame the dog.

You're correct... but getting dog mixed up with petulance.

The best game I’ve seen him have here was his debut, even though he missed a hat tricks worth of chances he looked quick, direct and ideal as a wide forward. He seemed to lose his confidence even before an injury and never took anyone on, seemed to suddenly struggle with the pace when he hadn’t initially.

He looks like he’s worked on his strength to deal with it and i thought he might’ve lost a bit of pace as a result but he’s probably deceptively quick. Scored some lovely goals in his time here and he is finally showing what he can do, even if his game seems to have changed a bit. Whether he stays will no doubt depend on his wages and whether he stays fit all season. 

5 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I remember him getting sent off / brought off against Benfica in a freindly two years ago. Didn't he get sent off against Fulham also?

Both involved rash challenges where he tried to exact revenge.

If anything he's probably had to tame the dog.

During the Fulham game you could tell the whole lack of workrate and physicality thing must’ve been on his mind for months as he seemed to be going out of his way to show he could mix it. Then took it too far with that one. 

Probably took that for him to understand he needs to be somewhere in the middle! 

On a side note, his teeth must dazzle the defenders.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

It was a good finish today won’t take nothing away from him in that respect 

long term though I think he’s a bit lightweight for this league, if he gets 7/8 goals this season he will have done well 

with FF back and hopefully Hooper at some point I think he will struggle for games 

deffo

11 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I expect to get negged but I don’t think he’s a really good player. His performance levels over the last 3 games haven’t been good but he’s managed to get 2 goals. Fair enough.

Joao is a better player and Nando is our marquee forward player. 

Given his goals he will retain his place for the Leeds game but there will be other attacking players chomping at the bit to replace him. I expect him to lose his place shortly. However, I am pleased that he’s back from injury and providing a contribution to the team. 

This isn't a bad thing though. Great competition for places, and if Matias is only a back up and can be joint top scorer that says a lot about the quality of our forward options.

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

During the Fulham game you could tell the whole lack of workrate and physicality thing must’ve been on his mind for months as he seemed to be going out of his way to show he could mix it. Then took it too far with that one. 

Probably took that for him to understand he needs to be somewhere in the middle! 

Imagine trying to mark him with that gleaming white grin flashing about the pitch. You'd have nightmares

lol

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Definitely, he was almost trying too hard to impress. I remember his red against Birmingham last season just as he hit form, got it rescinded as it was a joke but then came down with an injury so couldn't play anyway. He's had some rotten luck.

Just now, Not Jon Newsome said:

This isn't a bad thing though. Great competition for places, and if Matias is only a back up and can be joint top scorer that says a lot about the quality of our forward options.

Totally agree. I just think there are better options but he has 2 in 3 games and to be honest this is good news for us. We have some very good options in our forward line and we are definitely a top 3 side in that respect. We just need to sort other areas in the pitch out. Very good performance today tho - really impressed.

Just needs to keep fit. We know what a player we have there. His poorer performances have been when the team as a whole have been poor. First time since joining us he’s had a proper pre season and suddenly capable of three games in a week.

Looks on course for a 15 goal season if selected regularly.

By the way, I don’t get this strength and physicality stuff. Wasn’t that why Villa released Bannan on a free....Big mistake.

1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

My blood boils when I recall that Fulham sending off....btw I know I need to get over it.

I agree, I think I left the ground fuming that day that he should never play the Wednesday again. Thankfully, I am not involved in running the football club.

lol