Dawson’s Starting Positioning

3 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

We also have some top class Wums on here that don’t contribute to a discussion.

Can you tell me if you agree or disagree about Dawson’s positioning. If so why?

I think you make some valid points. That one in the first half where he was static to his line when the ball was played through. Compare it to an instance where we put one into their box and Butland read it and was out quickly to it. To be fair to Dawson he isn't making many schoolboy errors but his decision making can improve which will do with age and experience.

Everything Dawson struggles with is very coachable, he needs to keep playing...the worst thing for him would being sat on the bench every week.

I see major flaws in Wildsmith’s game that will be much more difficult to coach, for example he technique when kicking under pressure will require significant work.

By the way, if we’re talking about Dawson being rooted to his line...Wildsmith is far worse

1 hour ago, Willow Owl said:

FFS

Dawson at fault for any of the goals is total round uns He had no chance. Why on earth anybody would criticise a player to justify their opinion is absolutely ridiculous. 

Get over it, Westwood is currently our no 3 and needs to knuckle down and fight for his place 

absolutely not having that. I would question your understanding of goalkeeping if you don’t understand what I said and you think he was totally blameless for both goals. He was hesitant and he cost us a goal (2nd one). I was right behind him on the kop and having played as a keeper all my life I know what I’m talking about. The first one is debatable but it wasn’t in the corner and it looked like Dawson committed himself before the shot came in.

He’s a young lad and I’m behind him and I know he’s going to make mistakes like all the young lads do. The point about Westwood is a valid one. I don’t care what you say he’s the best keeper we have at the moment and that’s undeniable.

2 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

So you are assuming he’s not as good ? What if he came back and played even better ? You simply can’t judge a player who isn’t playing , he looked  fine  against Lincoln that was his last game so why aren’t you sure ? 

If you’re arguing that you can’t judge him because he’s not playing then sure you can’t jusge him as good either? Looking fine against Lincoln in a preseason friendly is hardly compelling evidence. 

Im making my judgement based partially  on the form from before his injury and much more so on the judgement of Weaver and Jos. I believe they know better than me or you. 

2 minutes ago, Miruic said:

If you’re arguing that you can’t judge him because he’s not playing then sure you can’t jusge him as good either? Looking fine against Lincoln in a preseason friendly is hardly compelling evidence. 

Im making my judgement based partially  on the form from before his injury and much more so on the judgement of Weaver and Jos. I believe they know better than me or you. 

The whole problem with that is your assuming that the decision from Jos is based entirely on ability

9 minutes ago, Miruic said:

What are you assuming it is based on?

Im not making any assumption, just pointing out that you are. 

The only thing we can say with any certainty is that our other two keepers have come nowhere close the the height of performance and consistency that Westwood has shown in his time with us 

31 minutes ago, Miruic said:

Haha you were making your assumption on Westwood’s last game I assume so was I , No they don’t know what they are on about if they think banishing Him to obscurity is the best option , there has to be more to this than meets the eye . 

Guest Willow Owl
2 hours ago, Sticky belly said:

absolutely not having that. I would question your understanding of goalkeeping if you don’t understand what I said and you think he was totally blameless for both goals. He was hesitant and he cost us a goal (2nd one). I was right behind him on the kop and having played as a keeper all my life I know what I’m talking about. The first one is debatable but it wasn’t in the corner and it looked like Dawson committed himself before the shot came in.

He’s a young lad and I’m behind him and I know he’s going to make mistakes like all the young lads do. The point about Westwood is a valid one. I don’t care what you say he’s the best keeper we have at the moment and that’s undeniable.

I understood everything you said and having played and coached i think i can offer my opinion. The only thing he could do with the first is try and second guess as Afobe had several options due to the angle he was approaching the goal. To be fair it was a cracking finish and Dawson was given no chance. 

The second he had 2 players to consider and having watched back i cannot see where he hesitates, he has to plant his feet at some stage to give himself a platform. 

Westwood was a great keeper and maybe still is, but the decision has been made by people more qualified than both of us. Going on about every goal we concede and saying Westwood would have saved that is all subjective as you dont know for sure. 

50 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Im not making any assumption, just pointing out that you are. 

The only thing we can say with any certainty is that our other two keepers have come nowhere close the the height of performance and consistency that Westwood has shown in his time with us 

I agree completely they’re not yet at the level Westwood was 3 seasons ago.

He's not the first keeper we've had to struggle with where to put himself, Kirkland was a great keeper but he had an infuriating habit of standing in no man's land, especially from free kicks. If Dawson is still doing this when he's Kirkland's age then I'll be worried, but he'll learn and iron this stuff out of his game - except if we make a knee jerk decision to drop him. 

Leave the lad in, other than at Wigan I wouldn't say he's cost us anything particularly. He's doing fine.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

37 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Westwood made significantly fewer mistakes than Wildsmith made last season

I’ll take you word for that as I can’t be bothered to go through tallying up mistakes however I would stipulate that wildsmith play about a dozen games more and didn’t play behind the full strength first team as much as Westwood did. 

Also so the fact that they both made errors could be the reason why neither of them are in net this season. 

1 hour ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Haha you were making your assumption on Westwood’s last game I assume so was I , No they don’t know what they are on about if they think banishing Him to obscurity is the best option , there has to be more to this than meets the eye . 

Gonna have to disagree that you know more than they do but you’re welcome to that opinion. 

What is you’re conspiracy theory of choice regarding his absence? 

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

jeez two howlers .badly positioned ,slow off his line , terrible distribution ,cant command his area, hangs on to the ball too long ,  we only need someone to mention his  hair and his annihilation will be complete ………. 

Part of being ready for first team football is being able to deal with criticisms and opinions...no matter if they are right or wrong

The only unacceptable comments are the ones about personal stuff, like hair colour, which is ironic because you are the one to mention it.