Dawson’s Starting Positioning

Don’t want to be to critical of the lad as I believe he’s started his career well with us. 

Has lots of impressive qualities and I do rate him. Is very young and will definitely improve. 

Just a little gripe I have with him is his starting position. Was noticeable a few times yesterday he’s only 2-3 yards off his line when the opposition are 20-25 yards out. It’s only a minor thing but we were always taught to be on the edge of the 6 yard box or at least 4-5 yards and and then drop back if necessary. 

Seen quite a few goals conceded from slip through balls against him. Not his fault as he hasn’t really stood much chance with the finishes and to be fair he has saved quiet a few 1v1’s too. However if he was just a few yards further forward he can cut out the pass or it doesn’t offer the attacking player the option to play the ball. Also narrows the angle for shots on the edge of the box or when 1v1.

Anyway as said I think he’s been good for us. Just an aspect of his game he could improve and it was very evident at least 3-4 times yesterday.

Hopefully the lad will start getting a few clean sheets too.

3 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Don’t want to be to critical of the lad as I believe he’s started his career well with us. 

Has lots of impressive qualities and I do rate him. Is very young and will definitely improve. 

Just a little gripe I have with him is his starting position. Was noticeable a few times yesterday he’s only 2-3 yards off his line when the opposition are 20-25 yards out. It’s only a minor thing but we were always taught to be on the edge of the 6 yard box or at least 4-5 yards and and then drop back if necessary. 

Seen quite a few goals conceded from slip through balls against him. Not his fault as he hasn’t really stood much chance with the finishes and to be fair he has saved quiet a few 1v1’s too. However if he was just a few yards further forward he can cut out the pass or it doesn’t offer the attacking player the option to play the ball. Also narrows the angle for shots on the edge of the box or when 1v1.

Anyway as said I think he’s been good for us. Just an aspect of his game he could improve and it was very evident at least 3-4 times yesterday.

Hopefully the lad will start getting a few clean sheets too.

It’s definitely the area of his game that needs working on Noticed a few times this season the look of frustration on the defenders faces when he’s failed to come out, or been stuck in no mans land

3 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

What age do keepers peak at ability wise ?

If our two get the right coaching, I can't see any reason why they couldn't be big stars.

That said, neither are as good as Westwood.

Somewhere in the next 5-10 years for both of em. Going to be waiting a while.

The ability they both have at this age is a bonus though.

8 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

What age do keepers peak at ability wise ?

If our two get the right coaching, I can't see any reason why they couldn't be big stars.

That said, neither are as good as Westwood.

Westwood when? We don’t know how he looks in training and I’d say they’ve both looked equal or better than he was doing at the start of last season. 

If your comparing them to westwood from two seasons ago I’d agree but I’m not sure if Westwood now is as good as Westwood from two seasons ago. 

13 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Owls keeping situation 14:15

At about 17 minutes he says he sees mistakes others don’t. I agree with him. I see those from keepers too. Little things that unless you’ve played at a high lebel

ot coached outfielders don’t see as understandably they don’t know the ins and outs of the position.

Its usually little things like footwork, a yard or two not quite in the right position when creating and angle to block a shot. Lots of little errors that can lead to a goal.

I agree he commands his area well on set pieces and crosses.

As Pressman says he is mobile and alert to danger. The point in my thread was his starting position. Even with his plus points he’s starting too far back, that means he can be ineffective. He’s brave and will dive at someone’s feel, but it needs to be that second quicker.

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Needs to improve a lot for me. Not quite sure why he’s number 1, from what I’ve seen of Wildsmith he looks the better of the 2, but in Jos we trust 

For me Dawson does the basics much better. 

I’ve always been of the belief the best keepers make tough things look easy. I like Wildsmith too, but you’ll see him making more saves where he’s dived and it looks more spectacular. Where as Dawson will be set better, have better angles so it looks easier. 

I think those who who haven’t played the position tend to judge keepers on how good the saves they make appear rather than the whole package.

Just now, bladeshater said:

We have some top class goal keeping coaches on here

Thank you. Maybe some people on this forum have played at a good level and coached football. Not saying myself, but you never know.

You could say those kind of people will understand certain aspects of the game more when they have thousands of hours more experience being coached than posters who have not been lucky enough to have the same benefit.

6 minutes ago, Miruic said:

Westwood when? We don’t know how he looks in training and I’d say they’ve both looked equal or better than he was doing at the start of last season. 

If your comparing them to westwood from two seasons ago I’d agree but I’m not sure if Westwood now is as good as Westwood from two seasons ago. 

Let's all stop the bullshiiit. It adds nothing to the debate.

The best keeper in the division, who we and half the country recognised as such, didn't suddenly lose the use of his limbs.

He isn't playing for non footballing reasons. Rightly or wrongly.

To start inventing that he suddenly isn't very good is just silly and actually does a disservice to our 2 young keepers. They both know he's quality. Trust me.

I agree. Dawson was poor yesterday. The first goal he should have done better for me. 

The second goal goal he was coming for the ball and he would have got it but for some reason he stopped and hesitated and allowed Afobe to score. Then just after that and before half time he hesitated again when he should have come out and we almost conceded again.

I just wished we had sold Westwood or at least loaned him out if we aren’t going to play him because every time this happens people are going to say Westwood would have saved that. Myself I truely believe Westwood would have saved at least one of those yesterday, which makes it harder for me to accept when he’s sat on his hands somewhere.

It would be helpful if the club came out and at least tried to explain the situation better, because I don’t think anyone is having it that Westwood is our third best keeper.

Edited by Sticky belly

33 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

Let's all stop the bullshiiit. It adds nothing to the debate.

The best keeper in the division, who we and half the country recognised as such, didn't suddenly lose the use of his limbs.

He isn't playing for non footballing reasons. Rightly or wrongly.

To start inventing that he suddenly isn't very good is just silly and actually does a disservice to our 2 young keepers. They both know he's quality. Trust me.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree about the regard Westwood is held in by the rest of he country. In 14/15 when he was in the team of the year I’d have agreed with you however not now.

I believe this is supported by the fact that despite being obviously available and the likes of wba, Villa & Bristol city all needing new keepers as well as others no one came in and made a deal happen. 

Is he still better than the youngsters? I honestly don’t know but I don’t think the gap is big either way and is certainly  close enough that Jos shouldn’t be questioned for having made the choice he feels is right. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miruic said:

We’re going to have to agree to disagree about the regard Westwood is held in by the rest of he country. In 14/15 when he was in the team of the year I’d have agreed with you however not now.

I believe this is supported by the fact that despite being obviously available and the likes of wba, Villa & Bristol city all needing new keepers as well as others no one came in and made a deal happen. 

Is he still better than the youngsters? I honestly don’t know but I don’t think the gap is big either way and is certainly  close enough that Jos shouldn’t be questioned for having made the choice he feels is right. 

Fair enough and a reasonable discussion.

Not questioning Jos in the slightest btw, as I don't believe it's his decision.

Guest Willow Owl
1 hour ago, Sticky belly said:

I agree. Dawson was poor yesterday. The first goal he should have done better for me. 

The second goal goal he was coming for the ball and he would have got it but for some reason he stopped and hesitated and allowed Afobe to score. Then just after that and before half time he hesitated again when he should have come out and we almost conceded again.

I just wished we had sold Westwood or at least loaned him out if we aren’t going to play him because every time this happens people are going to say Westwood would have saved that. Myself I truely believe Westwood would have saved at least one of those yesterday, which makes it harder for me to accept when he’s sat on his hands somewhere.

It would be helpful if the club came out and at least tried to explain the situation better, because I don’t think anyone is having it that Westwood is our third best keeper.

FFS

Dawson at fault for any of the goals is total round uns He had no chance. Why on earth anybody would criticise a player to justify their opinion is absolutely ridiculous. 

Get over it, Westwood is currently our no 3 and needs to knuckle down and fight for his place 

2 hours ago, Miruic said:

So you are assuming he’s not as good ? What if he came back and played even better ? You simply can’t judge a player who isn’t playing , he looked  fine  against Lincoln that was his last game so why aren’t you sure ?