Dawson’s Starting Positioning

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Part of being ready for first team football is being able to deal with criticisms and opinions...no matter if they are right or wrong

The only unacceptable comments are the ones about personal stuff, like hair colour, which is ironic because you are the one to mention it.

where do I mention the colour of his hair ?

8 hours ago, Miruic said:

Gonna have to disagree that you know more than they do but you’re welcome to that opinion. 

What is you’re conspiracy theory of choice regarding his absence? 

I’m guessing it’s to do with money and we wanted to ship him out . Could be that Westwood has refused to play for u23’s I don’t know , but  something’s not right you must admit that .

Guest Willow Owl
11 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Westwood made significantly fewer mistakes than Wildsmith made last season

Totally different circumstances, Wildsmith was thrown in at the Deep end when we were a team in turmoil, massive injury list, new manager, low league postion and also played more games than Westwood. 

Wildsmith did make a couple of errors, but no more than Westwood. 

To me he was superb in very difficult circumstances, also kept a clean sheet at the stain which gave us a platform for the rest of last season. 

a fit westwood probably shades it over the other 2 but  almost certain to leave at the end of the season for free whether he plays or not ...I can see why dawson is preferred as he is a very capable keeper with a future here if he continues to improve . …..jos is bringing down the average of the team and if some of the younger element make an error or two then that's  the price you have to pay while they learn there trade …….we'll get no return on playing the ageing players who's best days are behind them but lads like the 2 keepers thorniley & penney if they develop as we hope/expect could fetch in many millions if the big clubs come calling …...we've always been envious of the blunts playing &   selling there young lads for mega money well now we may be in a position to do the same but to do that we have to play them . 

7 hours ago, Willow Owl said:

Totally different circumstances, Wildsmith was thrown in at the Deep end when we were a team in turmoil, massive injury list, new manager, low league postion and also played more games than Westwood. 

Wildsmith did make a couple of errors, but no more than Westwood. 

To me he was superb in very difficult circumstances, also kept a clean sheet at the stain which gave us a platform for the rest of last season. 

He made loads.

I get where the OP is coming from here. 

one thing i will say tho, things change over time in what keepers are taught now compared to before. for instance corners, we always used to be told to go closer to the back post as its easier/faster to move forward. but with the pace of todays game and near post flicks. keepers tend to be slightly closer to the near posts nowadays. 

re Dawsons start position as discussed in this thread though. i dont think hes slow getting out. i think he means to do it. so many keepers are lightning off the line but cos theyve gone, they sell themselves, sliding in and the forward dinks it over.. but some keepers (not enough) hold back a touch so they can stand up, make themselves big, make the forward make a decision if you like. 

check the save at the far post in the second half on satdy, stood tall and it hit him, didnt look great, but it was a great save, i notice Wildsmith tries to stay big too, must have been a big thing in Andy Rhodes coaching, like i say, not enough modern keepers do it, they go flying out and help make the forwards decision for him.

i agree there is an issue where occasionally Dawson is hesitant to come an tidy up the loose ball.

but id rather have that in these early stages, than going the other way and charging out at every opportunity.  

On 16/09/2018 at 15:01, Willow Owl said:

FFS

Dawson at fault for any of the goals is total round uns He had no chance. Why on earth anybody would criticise a player to justify their opinion is absolutely ridiculous. 

Get over it, Westwood is currently our no 3 and needs to knuckle down and fight for his place 

Totally agree with Westwood having to fight for his place back, a place in the team should not be handed to anyone. Even tho I want him back in (but agree he needs to earn it back). I also disagree with people on here that say Dawson had a bad game against Stoke, he was good. But, he should have done better with the first goal, and a more experience keeper would have done. Getting beat at his near post like that, isn't the end of the world and doesn't make me nervous when he's in goal, but it wasn't great. Its not that he conceded, it's the way he tried to make him self look big, it was a strange split decision. And the competition is very stiff for the place he holds. 

Edited by dontCallMeOwlCallYou

I agree in some respect to the OP,  but if we are talking shooting distance, say less than 25 yards then goalkeeping has changed. When I played mid 80's and through the 90's we were encouraged to get down the line of the ball and many saves were made 5-6 yards, you were also in a good starting to position to get out quick for a through ball. Now keepers are playing deeper, maybe 2 yards off their line. It gives better reaction time to balls that fly and move through the air.Think Lloris as modern expert on,  he uses his speed and agility to make saves but also is fast around his box.

I read a piece last week, written by the Stoke City GK coach. "

For example, over recent seasons, statistics suggested goalkeepers were having more success saving shots from distance by staying closer to their line, therefore allowing more reaction time, rather than moving down the line of the ball to narrow the angles the shooter has to aim at.

“Playing deeper in the goal for shots around the 18-yard box – that’s something we’ve changed a lot over the last two years,” Quy says.

“We have to build up the data over a period of time and make it work to our advantage, but that’s definitely an area in which which the stats have made a difference to our methods.

“It’s something Shay has looked at in the two years he’s been here and he’s altered his start position accordingly, which demonstrates that you’re never too old to learn.”