What’s this Mick McCarty attraction?

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

But it's the style he's trying to play now which worries me.

If we try to play it out from the back with our defenders against some of the teams we've got to face, well, I hardly need say.

...especially after the way we ended last season.

Guest Bulgaria
4 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

How long will it be before the majority of our fans realise our problems go way beyond who our manager is. 

Why would that effect performances on the field?

We still have a squad that should be performing and playing with much more purpose and at least have a clue how to pass a ball properly.

That's nothing to do with behind the scenes stuff, unless the players are making a stand because of the Westwood situation.

5 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

McCarthy did seem rather conciliatory towards Wednesday whilst being a pundit on the televised cup tie with Sunderland last week and he did jump on the comments about his time at Ipwich and defended himself very vocally... Was this the start of the job interview process?

WTF:

If Mick's being conciliatory towards Wednesday, then it must be.

We;re a better squad than Epswetch, so he probably thinks he could do something here.

I don't like him, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Mind you, I don't like anybody. lol

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

9 years ago and more.

In his five and a half years at Ipswich, his statistics average out at 64.8 points per 46 games, which would have seen a 12th place finish last season.

That compares with Luhukay who so far is on course for an overall average of 62.4 points, despite the majority of that time being with a horrendous injury list and a net spend so far of something like £ -1.3m.

He spent £5m in 4 seasons at Ipswich

£1m less than we spent on Jones and Abdi in the same week 

I think he did an exceptional job keeping Ipswich competitive for so long

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stoop said:

He spent £5m in 4 seasons at Ipswich

£1m less than we spent on Jones and Abdi in the same week 

I think he did an exceptional job keeping Ipswich competitive for so long

Yes, he spent the brass much more wisely than we did.

It makes you wonder what he could have done with our resources.

Just now, Athelwulf said:

Yes, he spent the brass much more wisely than we did.

It makes you wonder what he could have done with our resources.

It would have been spent on 6 foot plus athletes all over the pitch,  2 take no prisoners centre half’s and 2 pacy wingers to go with our already fantastic striking options

9 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Used to working with a tight budget 

Knows this division inside out

Knows how to a team promoted from this division. 

Says it how it is 

Id say Big Mick is exactly what we need right now. 

No more needs to be said than this.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

And Luhukay still got more points than him overall with his team of reserves and Academy hopefuls.

I’m hoping you’re copying and pasting this now considering how many times you’ve repeated it in the last few days.

The team Luhukay fielded to get him those points included the following:-

Hunt (£2m)

Lees (200k)

Pudil (£2m)

Reach (£5m)

Bannan (prem wages)

Joao (£2.5m)

Forestieri (£3m)

Pelupessy (500k)

Matias (£2m)

Vennacio (wages)

Rhodes (£8m) 

Thats about £23m of spenditure/talent he could call upon. And let’s not forget that before Lees, Bannan and Forestieri returned from injury - the team under Luhukay was awful. 

During McCarthy’s time at Ipswich, in the 3+ years he had a total spend of approx £3.5m.

We have a very big squad, and just because in the last 9 games we had about 5 “first team” players missing, it doesn’t mean the remaining players were useless.

What you are doing is a bit like saying Luhukay is a better manager than Stuart Gray because he has a better win percentage. Never mind the extra (£22.5m worth of talent the club has spent on the players at their disposal).

Mccarthy has proved to motivate average players in this league, I wouldn’t say the same about Luhukay yet, as the above players cost a lot of money 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, spot on.

Our record against his teams is terrible.

Over the years we've had some decent sides and some bad ones, but at the end of games against him - even if you think you've got a decent team before - you always leave thinking that you're not as good as you thought you were.

When I was a boy, if my parents gave me a good hiding they always used to aim for the tender parts like wrists and ankles.

He's the same, the b*stard.

He seems to identify your weak spots and go for them.

With the opponents we've got to face shortly, we could do with a manager who knows how to stop the opposition playing.

He;s out of work and would take the job, so it's a no-brainer.

totally agree

McCarthy isn’t the kind of manager we would want in terms of style or a promotion push.

But if we’re looking at a lean couple of years he does have a record of keeping sides afloat in this league with no money to spend. That’s why I’d get him in, it would be a thankless task for him though so I doubt he’d be interested 

7 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

And Luhukay still got more points than him overall with his team of reserves and Academy hopefuls.

Even after the hapless Carvalhal in the first half of the season and the remnants from the hospital after Christmas, we only finished 3 points behind Ipswich.

This has no relevance to the fact that JS is churning out dire defensive football that is as entertaining as having piles.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, REDOWL said:

Football Heaven tonight had several comments from Owls fans saying let’s get McCarthy in.

Dont understand it myself when his career win rate is no better then some managers we have sacked in recent times. Could he do us a job and lead us on to greater success....maybe fans of Ipswich,Wolves or Sunderland might have an answer to that conundrum.

You don’t understand humans do you?