Wolves League Cup 1976

76-77 season , it was a great result in a very difficult time for the club , think Wolves were a 1st Division team at the time and we were in the 3rd and this was when teams played their strongest team for every game.

He's here he's there he's every f****n where Rodger wylde, Rodger wylde !

8 hours ago, dunsbyowl said:

Good excuse for another airing of this wonderful photo!wylde-2-1_zpsf70dbbaa.thumb.jpg.39580970f7b78207418f6a660fbe2e16.jpg

Went down to this game only just left school it was very dodgy , their fans certainly weren't happy , trouble before during and after the match , great win though .

Went to the match on the Wapentake coach.  Wolves were 2 divisions higher than us in those dark days of the mid 70's.    That night was certainly a bright light during the worst period in Wednesday's history.  I surprised RW wasn't granted the freedom of Sheffield after that goal

13 hours ago, Watto said:

76-77 season , it was a great result in a very difficult time for the club , think Wolves were a 1st Division team at the time and we were in the 3rd and this was when teams played their strongest team for every game.

He's here he's there he's every f****n where Rodger wylde, Rodger wylde !

Not around during the 70s but would you say it was a bleaker time for the football club than the league one days pre-Mandaric and the decline in the 00s?

I read a lot on here about poor attendances and struggles in Division 3 (nearly 4) and wondered how it compared to fans who supported the club through both. 

11 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Not around during the 70s but would you say it was a bleaker time for the football club than the league one days pre-Mandaric and the decline in the 00s?

I read a lot on here about poor attendances and struggles in Division 3 (nearly 4) and wondered how it compared to fans who supported the club through both. 

Today is paradise compared to those days, the away games were the saving grace when we took silly amounts sometimes and there was a feeling that we were all it together.  The support seems very fractured to me nowadays you have to be in one camp another. The home games atmosphere then were dreary 10-14000 fans lost in the MASSIVE stadium.  JC turned up and things slowly improved.

For some reason, I don't remember the Wolves game.

Edited by Watson
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

I was only 13 at the time so you look at things with a different perspective .

I suppose the seventies was the first proper decline the club had with 2 relegations within 5 years and almost stopping to the 4th Division.

There was always hope we would get out of the mess though with us being such a big club in the 3rd and eventually under Big Jack we did thankfully.

The second decline again two relegations in  99/00 and 02/03 were more through mismanagement and over spending whilst in the premier league , both periods were desperate times for wednesdayite's.

Here's hoping we don't have a repeat of those days any timesoon.

• Thanks 1