We're (Not) On Our Way....

I must say I have no real problem with the strategy the Chairman went for.

We were 90 minutes from promotion two years on the trot.  On another day we could have beaten Hull or their midfielder catches that ball a little less sweet and it flies over the bar, and the season after we beat Hudds in the pen shootout. With just a bit of luck, we could easily have been a Bournemouth, Huddersfield or Burnley right now.  Sadly luck wasn't on our side.  

Now that gamble hasn't come off, we cut our cloth and try and do it another way.  The fact we have good young players coming through and some characters like Hutch and Adthe to help them fills me with some optimism.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We were 90 minutes from promotion two years on the trot.  On another day we could have beaten Hull or their midfielder catches that ball a little less sweet and it flies over the bar, and the season after we beat Hudds in the pen shootout. With just a bit of luck, we could easily have been a Bournemouth, Huddersfield or Burnley right now.  Sadly luck wasn't on our side.  

Now that gamble hasn't come off, we cut our cloth and try and do it another way.  The fact we have good young players coming through and some characters like Hutch and Adthe to help them fills me with some optimism.

Good post, thanks for sharing a little brightness.

Personally don’t feel we had a chance to beat Hull that day, they dominated the match and had premier league standard players in the team. If anything we were lucky it was only 1-0.  The playoff defeat to Huddersfield on the other hand, was totally due to poor management all over the shop 

7 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Personally don’t feel we had a chance to beat Hull that day, they dominated the match and had premier league standard players in the team. If anything we were lucky it was only 1-0.  The playoff defeat to Huddersfield on the other hand, was totally due to poor management all over the shop 

True, we never looked like beating Hull, Huddersfield we should have gone for it in the away leg when they had a rookie keeper in the net, terrible tactics on reflection.

24 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I think for me, I can see why he gambled as he did. In the play off final first year, why not. I don't know if he expected us to be there that year, I honestly didn't. 

But I think we didn't gamble well, looking at the player's we brought in and how Carlos ran the side, it was a bit of a perfect storm. And turned into a 'poo or bust' scenario and we then let the situation carry on too long. 

From listening to the podcast, it seems clear a lot of club's are gambling and the rules suit some more than others. From my take on what was being said you can offset some of the risks of the gamble by buying young promising player's or developing these player's so you have saleable assessts. And by developing other revenue streams within the club. As the podcast notes, you need to develope the club not just the team. 

Oddly, I think fate has now forced us into having a longer term strategy for the side, and given the player's coming through this looks promising to help the clubs stability going forwards and to support future well timed investment. DC needs to develop income outside of just the fans though. Some of us are quite literally running out of money, and I would like to see some strategy there and have that communicated to us. I appreciate the latter is tricky, as most fans just want to hear about marquee signings. 

I think we will have a couple of tough years, but I'm going to try and enjoy the ride. 

3 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I can still remember the grim quiet walk back to the car after the Huddersfield game. Once in the car, all four of us agreed that the defeat could set us back years and we wouldn't get a potentially easier run again. 

I don't think we will challenge for promotion for another 3 years minimum. Our problems are too deep rooted. 

i think a relegation threat is far more a concern this term than not making the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, dnhc said:

how many buyers do you think we can attract?

I don't know why people are worried about this

Literally every single time someone has said 'nobody will buy us' when we need a chairman or 'who would want to come here we wont' find anyone' when we need a new manager - we have done

It's a non-starter

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

Seriously, I think there will be someone out there who would buy us and have the no how to move us in the right direction.

Look at Villa, they faced financial oblivion this season, quick take over and away they go.

villa are a bigger club than us, with a neighbour on the slide, and don't they still have parachute money?

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't know why people are worried about this

Literally every single time someone has said 'nobody will buy us' when we need a chairman or 'who would want to come here we wont' find anyone' when we need a new manager - we have done

It's a non-starter

the top half of this division is turning into a premier 2, the bottom four are around div 2 standard, the rest are just hanging around hoping.

it takes a lot of money to get into the prem2 club.

1 hour ago, Blue and white said:

Hopefully the only direction Mr Chansiri will be heading in is Manchester airport with a one way ticket to Thailand.

You want him to go, we get it. 

He probably needs to go - he's made a right balls up of things.

Repeating it as nauseam on here though isn't going to expedite a hypothetical scenario. 

Edited by SiJ

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

We knew the rules 

We broke the rules

Literally that simple

That for me sums it up.

Either DC was very naive or stupid by allowing that to happen. In my view he's gone about things in a very bad way and I question whether things have been thought through well enough.

For any business to work you have to have 2 plans. Plan A being a positive one which takes into consideration all the legalities and possible pitfalls. Plan B as a back up if things do go wrong.

My impression is we are just stumbling along not knowing what wer'e really doing or how to get back on the right track.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, toppOwl said:

I've been accused of being a happy clapper many times, I've tried to defend anything SWFC as much as possible but feel its a losing battle, as we say round these parts - wer in'a reyt mess.

The Premier League (which I hate incidentally) seems further away than its ever been, were on a rocky road where the only paths to take are bad ones.

Sorry to say but Mr C has to take the blame for much of this, all the years that fans of this club wanted (and deserved) a rich benefactor we finally get one who uses the Yosser Hughes "I can do that" approach to the job and falls down from his lack of football knowledge in a business where shrewdness is key, high prices, poor recruitment, stubborness etc have lead us from the euphoria of a play off final to a situation thats going to get better before it gets worse and could take years and a lot of hard work to get back to even thinking about being contenders for promotion.

The only ways out of the current predicament seems to be hope we get promoted this season (no chance IMO) or sell our prized assets in January, leaving a team bereft of the players that get bums on seats and paying top wack for the privilege, I always thought the high tickets prices were a huge risk, play great football and the punters will flock in, bore the pants off the fans and you get just over 23k for your first home game of the season.

The near future looks very bleak and the season feels flat as fart before its even got going.

Bad times indeed.

It wasn't Mr Chansiri who played cr*p in the final or who missed a penalty against Huddersfield. You're talking round male appendages.