We're (Not) On Our Way....

We all wanted Rhodes, everyone seemed to be urging DC that we 'went for it' We took a gamble and it failed. We invested a lot and the gamble just missed. Just Missed. Was that so bad? the first real excitement in years. The club is no better or worse than loads of rivals. We don't have a divine right to promotion. Ok, so we sit back regroup and build again, is that so bad? Things have been far worse and the dark days are gone, just too many unreal expectations. We have a reasonable squad for the division, good support and some decent players. It will sort itself out.

Just now, swissmess said:

We all wanted Rhodes, everyone seemed to be urging DC that we 'went for it' We took a gamble and it failed. We invested a lot and the gamble just missed. Just Missed. Was that so bad? the first real excitement in years. The club is no better or worse than loads of rivals. We don't have a divine right to promotion. Ok, so we sit back regroup and build again, is that so bad? Things have been far worse and the dark days are gone, just too many unreal expectations. We have a reasonable squad for the division, good support and some decent players. It will sort itself out.

Not sure if it was just me or other people..BOTH Winnall and Rhodes had warning signs all over it...Why both?  It's like fantasy football, it never fits right into reality and always ends badly.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, swissmess said:

Lay off the drugs mate.

5 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Have you only supported us since chansiri bought us? I’m just intrigued as you say we’re further away from the premiership or reaching it than ever before???

Is there some sort of loop hole I don’t know that meant we could have got there from league one? Or do you think that team of megastars Stuart Gray was overachieving with to finish clear of relegation zone had more of a chance??

You talk about we may have to sell our prized assets to survive. I can’t remember a time when this was an option,in fact I remember the opposite and looking at no assets to sell and not surviving as a club being being a very real option. 

In comparison to our very recent past this is a easy times. Even if we are relagated, and I don’t think we will be; I believe we have the nucleus of a great team already on the books that just needs bedding and experience, then once you remove the prized assets as you call them we should be close to break even, even with reduced ticket prices. 

Football like life is pretty shiit if you only look at the bad bits! But it’s odd that the mood now is worse than when we were about to be shut down. I guess doing well and expectation has a lot to do with this. 

Of course it is , it's the massive let down from being so close to where we find ourselves now that has upset the fans and the fact that we've been so badly run it's almost unbelievable!

4 hours ago, A12owl said:

It sounds like stupid rules. A club could be killed off if they have to allow decent value players to go for free because they cannot renew their contract.

Football authority seems to be for the benefit of the rich clubs in the premiership. 

The contract part is not part of the rules. This is something that has been imposed by the EFL on us as our ‘plan’ to get out of this is basically a non started. There imposing more sanctions to make sure costs are cut as we can’t or won’t cut them ourselves.

13 hours ago, toppOwl said:

...or sell our prized assets in January, leaving a team bereft of the players that get bums on seats and paying top wack for the privilege

People say this like it's a fear for the future. I see absolutely no justification for sky high ticket prices with the squad as it is. It's simply no where near good enough to charge the prices we are having to pay. 

People can't seriously be willing to pay £30-40 a ticket at the moment cos we have Forestieri and Bannan in the team. 

1 hour ago, swissmess said:

I don't remember chansiri saying his ridiculous pricing structure was based on us having a 'reasonable' squad for the division and some decent players. 

It's ridiculous 

2 minutes ago, poite said:

People say this like it's a fear for the future. I see absolutely no justification for sky high ticket prices with the squad as it is. It's simply no where near good enough to charge the prices we are having to pay. 

People can't seriously be willing to pay £30-40 a ticket at the moment cos we have Forestieri and Bannan in the team. 

I don't think our costs can ever really be justified but you'll get more people willing to pay if they are than if they arn't (considering the team have to do reasonably well also).

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Cheers Phil.

You're correct on those assets and they're very much still here, however the second part of the FFP podcast might shed a bit more light on things such as we may well be forced to sell them all to just prevent a points deduction or other massive impact from the P&S/FFP thing

I reckon it's definitely worth hearing the second part of that podcast

The fact we can't extend our own players contracts right now (many of whom are in that list above) is perhaps the scariest thing I've heard since the potential closure of SWFC back in the day as it essentially means 75% of all our players could just walk away next summer for free and we may be totally powerless against that happening if we're not allowed to spend money under the FFP rules.

Finished second half and nothing I don’t think we hadn’t expected / heard since the fans forum. Key areas of not being able to invest as much at market rates via associated connections and renewal of players contracts (albeit that ones a bit of an unknown). 

I think if DC was being honest and I think he has been and has said, mistakes have been made and also decisions on hindsight that haven’t worked out. I’d like to think Jos approach to bedding in youngsters (as well as necessity) and appointment of Katrien shows that the approach is changing and hopefully lessons learnt. 

While im not hurrying head on sand, I do genuinely believe this time round we have not only salable assets that can be cashed in (not everyone will like it but it’s something we have to do) but also I believe we’ll at start of next season and one after that be in a stronger position than we were pre DC. 

We have some positives in my opinion that we seem to be ignoring, including but not limited to: 

- A chairman that genuinely is trying to take us forward. In his tenure some things haven’t worked but the academy, facilities etc all seem to be better

- Best crop of youngsters in my memory. There are already 4/5 players from academy that are proving championship / league 1 capability. That’s without I imagine another 3/4 that come through this season in Preston, Penney etc. 

- Our 6th and 7th choice strikers are better than what we had pre Chasiri so if all but them leave we are still better off

- Expectation and reputation restored; pre chansiri us battling against relegation in championship was the expectancy, that in turn was the players that we were attracting. I don’t imagine back then players would choose us over other more attractive suitors - some of those players haven’t necessarily worked out, but they chose us over others and I think that will be important when we have less financial pulling power in next few years

thats just off top of my head, I’m sure there are other areas that are better now. 

Things may well be bad, they may get worse, but I don’t see us with winding up orders or administration any time soon, we’ll unless we chase off the guy funding it all! 

And this is what really wee wees me off ...

After the Hull debacle, with Chansiri at the helm we had EVERYTHING in place to set us up for a proper good push in terms of promotion and setting everything up for the future.

With the the right know how, the right knowledge, experience, hard work and the right execution we could have built the base to set us up for a proper push for promotion and laid the foundations to turn us in to a massive .... and I mean MASSIVE club in England and beyond .. even bigger than we were before.

Shrewd and astute signings, respectable pricing for all ages and for all avenues, tickets, kit, membership, exec boxes and sponsorship, youth development, positive and successful schemes to lure in neutral supporters, students, kids, casuals to become proper wednesdayites and regular fans, to increase revenue stream by creating successful marketing and commercial divisions and get the SWFC brand out there good and proper across the country and afar, and more to make us just amazing ...

Instead what did we do? i honestly don't know what has happened or what planning or research was done because what happened after that has turned out to be a complete clusterfuck that could potentially send this club in a very dark place ...

We just chucked a load of money at the playing squad, brought in disastrous signings based on reputation or who their flipping agent was or that were past their sell by date looking for one final hurrah instead of seeing if they would genuinely fit in and improve the squad or have the chance to improve and develop and become saleable assets for us in the future and offered absurd contracts out to all and sundry .. 40k a week for 4 years ... christ ...

Neglect mostly off the field stuff .. and just go for the easy but out of touch option of increasing the costs the fans have to pay, almost getting them to fund everything while the top dogs just turned up for Q&A sessions that were more trouble then they were worth and shirking responsibility and passing the buck back on to the fans constantly, punishing them with ridiculous price increases.

Sticking by a manager that had gone from hero to zero and did not have a flipping clue what to do to stop our season falling in to obscurity ...

and now .. with complete balls up occurring we are looking at worrying times with a divided and alienated fan base

god i'm so angry with how things have panned out .. its a complete and utter shambles ...

Edited by Hack-Abusi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I totally disagree.

We lost the play off final by one goal having beaten Brighton, now a premier league team, over 2 legs. The hull goal was a one in fifty hit. 

another day we don’t score an own goal and don’t lose on pens to hudds, now a premier league team. We were so close. It came down to luck more than anything.

its gutting but we are still in this league because of bad luck , not a lot more .

12 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I can still remember the grim quiet walk back to the car after the Huddersfield game. Once in the car, all four of us agreed that the defeat could set us back years and we wouldn't get a potentially easier run again. 

I don't think we will challenge for promotion for another 3 years minimum. Our problems are too deep rooted. 

Completely agree. I left the Huddersfield match early because my daughter was ill so I missed the devastating ending. It didn't affect me too much to start with. People at work thought I'd be upset but I just brushed it off. It really bothered me a couple of weeks later when Huddersfield won at Wembley. That really upset me. What might have been - again. 

Now the play offs and promotion seem a million miles away. Having said that, I'm more than happy to keep going to Hillsborough. It got tedious last season but I still love going in the hope that I might be pleasantly shocked or surprised at what I see.