Remember THIS? (this is for all you oldies out there)

5 hours ago, Freshfish said:

No he didn't. He was on United's books and him and Nick Mallinder were the best players at Ecco in those two years..think Mallinder went to Rovrum but he was a big lad at an early age who didn't develop. Stainrod was a much better all-round player...still a 'Blade' though. 

I was there...the away end at Oldham would never have been allowed to be open if it had been given a safety check. There was concrete and rubble all over the bloody place. 

Not much concrete & rubble left after it kicked off. 

We kindly relocated most of it onto the pitch. 

:unsure:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

I’m sure you’re right, mate.

I think Wylde did play that day and it’s that that’s thrown us.

Ive been trying to think of a match where Wylde got sent off since rob mentioned it and just can’t recall one.

Perhaps it was having our one time hero playing for them that added to our disgruntlement on the day ?

Funny how some things are as clear as day and other memories are just a blur

Yeah maybe.

Something made me think of Wylde and obviously the OP pic is TC so some tenuous link must be lurking in the inner depths of that gunge inside me head.

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, bigthinrob said:

Not much concrete & rubble left after it kicked off. 

We kindly relocated most of it onto the pitch. 

:unsure:

Helped tidy the away end up (way before Japan fans had thought of it). Good lads.

What thanks did you get? away fan ban and no terracing at Hillsborough.

Complete injustice.

I can remember it unfold on the TV  (Grandstand) and then huge outcry in the next days papers.

Seem to recall it was a bit naughty even back in those days.

• Haha 1

Was only early teens and one of the early away games. We were in the seats down the side opposite the main stand and literally had a grand stand view of  events . My memory seems to tell me there was an empty terrace in front of us that our fans used to get into the home terrace. Did this happen or is my memory playing tricks?

35 minutes ago, Harry Cannister said:

Coach from the Midland Hotel (Sidings) ?

When we were going SUT we always went from Pond St, I’m sure.

I think the Chelsea match I was talking about was a lot earlier than I originally thought.

Guest The Claw
2 hours ago, MARTY BOY said:

I was there I got arrested at the end of the match for nothing.

quite a few got arrested for something 

2 hours ago, roaminowl said:

Me too.

yep I think we established a few years ago that we were both in the group that bunked off to go to the first Arsenal replay at Highbury. I think the ringleader who organised it was Trav who is now the squire of Ecclesfield.

11 minutes ago, sage owl said:

yep I think we established a few years ago that we were both in the group that bunked off to go to the first Arsenal replay at Highbury. I think the ringleader who organised it was Trav who is now the squire of Ecclesfield.

Trav...Neil ??...remember him well...also fludey..rob Allen..uttley and Dodds from high green ...top Wednesday fans

Was on the away end at Olham that day, went on a coach from the Southey Club, it was kicking off before the Curran sending off, quite a mob of Wednesday fans on the Oldham end you could see the agro from the away end

Anyone remember 1st time millwall came to hillsborough..late 70s...they took the kop ..cos they got on early...Wednesday just couldn’t shift them...eventually got them onto pitch...but they turned  round and jumped back on  kop ...millwall were a real bunch of nutters...me and mates never seen anything like it

Not a good day. we lost.

1980 was it, ish?

I remember Bert McGee on the megaphone appealing for calm, no chance.

Big Jack tried, no chance.

It all started with some Wednesday fans getting a kicking in their end. Next thing all hell broke loose. I'm sure one of the side stands was virtually dismantled.

the club made money from all standing at Hillsborough being banned for 4 games, everyone paid extra to go in the North and South.

Then we signed Stainrod............... what a t0sser he turned out to be, in more ways than one.

Just now, sage owl said:

Yep that's the one I'm one of the others you mention.:biggrin:

Glen ...scaiffes ..??...bet you know them...we will have been on same away days I bet ......them days made you loyal to the club...something I think is missing nowadays