Harsh on Fletch?!

3 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

So why slate the  length of contract if he's already two years into it  ?

Because if he was on a sensible one he’d be gone and we could spend the money on someone else. 

He’s been very average and we’re stuck with him for two more years 

Guest Ash76

Anybody that gets football knows what Fletcher brings to the team. Expecting him to feature heavily for Jos, just his type of player.

Pressures defenders, runs the channels and capable of 1 in 3 during a good season 

It’s about time supporters stopped looking at number of goals for an opinion on how good a forward is, that’s why we ended up with Jordan Rhodes ffs.

5 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Anybody that gets football knows what Fletcher brings to the team. Expecting him to feature heavily for Jos, just his type of player.

Pressures defenders, runs the channels and capable of 1 in 3 during a good season 

It’s about time supporters stopped looking at number of goals for an opinion on how good a forward is, that’s why we ended up with Jordan Rhodes ffs.

This I 100% agree. Hopefully Jos gets him to play to his potential and he gets close to being worth what we signed up to paying for him

Just now, dave said:

I’m not the sort for look at me rants. But let’s say I had my concerns. And I doubt I was alone on that particular deal. 

REALLY,i could show you a 17 page thread where its majorly in favour (concerns about length of contract,not really,wages allegedly being paid,not really) with the following --"WOW","HOLY HELL","WELL HAPPY WITH THAT","GET IN" etc,etc.................i'll tell ya summat fella,some of those initial posters,have either forgotten what they said and when,or have just decided (as seems to be the way on here) that he's a crock (which he isn't),should never have signed blah,blah f-----g blah.

11 hours ago, DELUDED OWL said:

REALLY,i could show you a 17 page thread where its majorly in favour (concerns about length of contract,not really,wages allegedly being paid,not really) with the following --"WOW","HOLY HELL","WELL HAPPY WITH THAT","GET IN" etc,etc.................i'll tell ya summat fella,some of those initial posters,have either forgotten what they said and when,or have just decided (as seems to be the way on here) that he's a crock (which he isn't),should never have signed blah,blah f-----g blah.

Football fans in new signing hyperbole shocker. 

That thread is pretty funny in retrospect - we all thought we were going to tear the league a new one and then the Carlos miseryball began

... and the reality? Much like the Fletcher signing. Promised a lot. Cost a lot. But a disappointing return on investment. 

I’m not against him by any means. And @Ash76 ‘s post is 100% what I’d like to see this season. He is a Jos type player and if he plays to his potential he’d be a great asset - still. But for me he’s not done enough to justify what we invested in his wages - yet. 

• Like 1

At least he has stood up when it matters and scored important goals. Doesn't wilt under pressure like others. 

The run to the play offs, 2 at Rotherham, Newcastle, hudders in play off (him going off arguably lost us the game). 

Blame Carlos for playing him this season when he was injured in AUGUST. 

The fact he managed to go until Oct/Nov? Before breaking down is a miracle 

Not a bad player by any means. However I would move him on if possible. Massive massive wages and another players who seems to pick up injuries, still 2 years left on a his deal and with how we finished last season I don’t see how he gets back into that team

On 29/06/2018 at 16:23, Woodyowl450 said:

Just stumbled across this article having a bit of a pop at Fletcher. I admit that his finest days are probably behind him; but I do find it a little harsh to analyse his goal scoring tally last season and not even mention the fact he was injured for most of it! 

what does everyone else think? 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/has-he-not-retired-2-7m-rated-striker-and-sheffield-wednesday-the-verdict/

"After two season’s of playoff standard football, they watched their side trudge to midtable mediocrity with a 15th place finish.

A lack of goalscorers was a big part of the problem at Hillsborough. Top scorer, Atdhe Nuhiu only chalked up 11 goals with Gary Hooper also chipping in with ten.

£2.7m-rated Steven Fletcher is somebody who failed to deliver massively last season. The experienced Scot was brought in to score goals yet only managed two.

In the 2016/17 season, he saw a much better return, scoring ten goals. But his form is clearly beginning to slip massively.

So is his time up at Hillsborough? Or can he rediscover his touch?"

'bone idle' reporting, and a load of kn@ckers, move on.

22 hours ago, 1993swfc said:

Not a bad player by any means. However I would move him on if possible. Massive massive wages and another players who seems to pick up injuries, still 2 years left on a his deal and with how we finished last season I don’t see how he gets back into that team

Without being negative, Nuhiu & Joao now have to perform and find some consistency (like they've struggled to before that great run) when they have the likes of Hooper and Fletcher fit and available to take their place. Different challenge.

Albeit I'll be hoping they do of course!