Harsh on Fletch?!

1 minute ago, hawksmore said:

what makes you think that? Because he missed most of last season with injury and the season before, despite us finishing 4th, he only scored 10. 

It’s what he brings to the team.

He has far more to his game than just goals. 

Everytime he’s played he looks a real handful, excellent in the air, not afraid to get stuck in and very good technically too.

You don’t have to be a genius to see why he's spent the majority of his career in the Premier League and it is possible to rate a striker on qualities other than his goals return.

I really rate him. Just my opinion

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

what makes you think that? Because he missed most of last season with injury and the season before, despite us finishing 4th, he only scored 10. 

He missed 8 league games 2016/17.

Scoring ten should have got him a £6 million transfer then.

1 minute ago, DELUDED OWL said:

He missed 8 league games 2016/17.

Scoring ten should have got him a £6 million transfer then.

I know he did, which means his goals return for games played wasn't really that good. Not when you compare to the likes of FF, Hoops and Nuihu this last season. 

I know this may not be popular, but i honestly think we could afford to get rid of him and still be fine with what we have. FF, Hoops, Joao, Nuihu & Winnall are imo all better options now. 

12 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

I know he did, which means his goals return for games played wasn't really that good. Not when you compare to the likes of FF, Hoops and Nuihu this last season. 

I know this may not be popular, but i honestly think we could afford to get rid of him and still be fine with what we have. FF, Hoops, Joao, Nuihu & Winnall are imo all better options now. 

All about opinions but absolutely no way on earth is Atdhe Nuhiu better than Steven Fletcher.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

All about opinions but absolutely no way on earth is Atdhe Nuhiu better than Steven Fletcher.

Very narrow view you're taking there though. With the rest of those players, Nuhiu offers a lot more options for the team, plus i think Fletch's injury record is only going to get worse now. 

Currently with what we have in the squad who would you keep and get rid of in terms of forwards?

Just now, hawksmore said:

Very narrow view you're taking there though. With the rest of those players, Nuhiu offers a lot more options for the team, plus i think Fletch's injury record is only going to get worse now. 

Currently with what we have in the squad who would you keep and get rid of in terms of forwards?

We don’t know how Fletchers injury record will go next season, it’s just guess work. Just my opinion but when we signed Fletcher I thought he was the much needed upgrade on Nuhiu we’d be crying out for and I still do.

As for striking options next season, Jos seems to like to play 3 with 2 wide strikers so I’d go with Hooper, Forestieri, Joao, Fletcher and Nuhiu.

I’d look to move on Rhodes (due to FFP) and Winnall once fit. I actually rate both these strikers but we have plenty of options up top and I think the 5 I have listed all give us something different a plenty of options for the new season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodyowl450 said:

Just stumbled across this article having a bit of a pop at Fletcher. I admit that his finest days are probably behind him; but I do find it a little harsh to analyse his goal scoring tally last season and not even mention the fact he was injured for most of it! 

what does everyone else think? 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/has-he-not-retired-2-7m-rated-striker-and-sheffield-wednesday-the-verdict/

"After two season’s of playoff standard football, they watched their side trudge to midtable mediocrity with a 15th place finish.

A lack of goalscorers was a big part of the problem at Hillsborough. Top scorer, Atdhe Nuhiu only chalked up 11 goals with Gary Hooper also chipping in with ten.

£2.7m-rated Steven Fletcher is somebody who failed to deliver massively last season. The experienced Scot was brought in to score goals yet only managed two.

In the 2016/17 season, he saw a much better return, scoring ten goals. But his form is clearly beginning to slip massively.

So is his time up at Hillsborough? Or can he rediscover his touch?"

I’ve seen a few links on here to articles in Football League World. All seem to be inflammatory and designed to cause controversy. I suppose there are similar articles on players at most clubs, but I don’t have the inclination to bother with the site if that’s the standard of journalism they aspire to.

15 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

We don’t know how Fletchers injury record will go next season, it’s just guess work. Just my opinion but when we signed Fletcher I thought he was the much needed upgrade on Nuhiu we’d be crying out for and I still do.

As for striking options next season, Jos seems to like to play 3 with 2 wide strikers so I’d go with Hooper, Forestieri, Joao, Fletcher and Nuhiu.

I’d look to move on Rhodes (due to FFP) and Winnall once fit. I actually rate both these strikers but we have plenty of options up top and I think the 5 I have listed all give us something different a plenty of options for the new season.

Fair points well made. 

Being honest, i have family who are Sunderland fans and they did not rate Fletcher at all. I never thought he was what we needed, but when he played against Villa, he was immense up until going off injured and i was genuinely excited for what he'd bring to the club. Never been overly impressed since, but then as i say, maybe i was being unfairly biased. 

ive spoken to a few scots and a couple of sunderland supporters in last year or so and none of them rate him ,they say 1 game in 10 he is unplayable rest of time he goes missing ,add to that he is hugely injury prone and he is with Rhodes ,forestieri on the highest wage , value for money 2/10 ,im hoping though this season he gets fit and stays fit if he does then the 2/10 may go up a few notches . for us to have a good season relies on players like fletcher and hooper been fit if we have same injury record off these players as last season then we could be in trouble this season as we have no money at all to bring fresh players in,even a cheap loan might be beyond us unless players leave ,I think that's why we may be trying to offload Rhodes to Norwich .