Team v Fulham?

12 hours ago, Ronio said:

5ac3f8ca0b238_lineup(3).png.96ce7784a0655c8070915ddcf6f7834e.png

I think a time will come when this has to be tried. As FF gets sharper and sharper and builds up his match time he'll start to get frustrated. 

On paper this would be -I think most of us would agree - something to be looked at. 

The questions we will all want answering will be there to be asked. 

1) Does Reach have what it takes at LWB. On paper he does. He can deliver a cross. He's got huge lungs and the running won't be an issue. 

But will be be too isolated on his own. And will his lack of genuine tackling ability be an issue.

2) Will Forestieri fit into that role? Again, on paper it seems a no brainer having him pick the ball up in little pockets of space and running directly as defenders are occupied with Joao and Nuhiu.  Mouthwatering. 

But will it leave the midfielders more exposed ( as it's essentially 3 up top).... than having an extra man in central midfield? 

Well only find out when we see it. 

3 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Theres nothing to lose so agree with a bold line up, could see a 4-7 goal thriller!, can always take ff off after 45-70 for matias.

Another option in future possibly more for away games and depending on form, could be ff and matias behind joao, 3 pacy forwards seems to be the favoured option for top prem sides.

Joao's contract urgently needs extending tho or he could be off this summer cheap.

It'll be the the shadow hanging over if it's never tried.

I think the time is approaching. 

Mind.  Whether Reach is a success there or not I still think Left back is an area that needs strengthening as as matter of course.

12 hours ago, Ronio said:

5ac3f8ca0b238_lineup(3).png.96ce7784a0655c8070915ddcf6f7834e.png

Theres nothing to lose so agree with a bold line up, could see a 4-7 goal thriller!, can always take ff off after 45-70 for matias.

Another option in future possibly more for away games and depending on form, could be ff and matias behind joao, 3 pacy forwards seems to be the favoured option for top prem sides.

Joao's contract urgently needs extending tho or he could be off this summer cheap.

2 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Whilst we have a few players back I think it’s a bit early to think we’re back and fully firing. 

We still are missing: Best keeper in league, Best midfielder in league (imo) and one of best strikers in the league. 

Fessi is not match fit yet but getting there and Bannan not capable of full 90 either but getting there too. 

Either way we have nothing to lose so won’t matter too much, but I’d prefer us not to catch a hiding as we build on this mini revival. 

Fair enough we don’t want a hiding, but as others have said I think we have the players available now to worry Fulham. We showed second half against Preston what we are capable of when the better players are on the pitch.

Forestieri should probably be on the bench again, but I would like to see Joao and Nuhiu playing from the start to see how Fulham cope with an inform strikeforce 

4 hours ago, Walt said:

No. I’m suggesting Reach isn’t a left back and FF isn’t going to be running back much. It’s a shocking left hand side and any manager worth their salt would target it and destroy us down that side, it’s as clear as day.  See us against Utd at home and us at Bolton away where both oppo managers targeted Reach at left back. Utter shambles, made worse by having no one defensively helping Reach out. The left back position is number one priority for me in the summer as like you say it has been weak and targeted but Reach is not the answer especially in a 442 even more so with FF playing left wing.

I wouldn’t be averse to giving Reach a go at LWB in a 352/343 mind but that then means FF can’t play left wing which I ironically (given the above) fully agree with you is his best position but  for me he’d be played on the left in a 433/451. I’ve seldom seen FF have a good game when he’s played in the hole, which many are suggesting he should do in a 343. I can see their reasons as they make perfect sense, the position should be ideal for him. 

Itss worth remembering that in the 15 or so gameswhere  FF played ahead of Pudil or Fox we were never exposed. We couldn’t stop scoring or winning in fact. 

Reach may may not be as good a LB as the early Pudil but he is better than the latter-day Pudil or Fox. 

Carlis shared red your opinion of FF in the hole. Said he want cut out for that role, CIA he didn’t have the discipline. I suspect Jos can command more discipline from his players than Carlis.

Time will tell. I am intrigued at Jos’s plan to fit FF into his side. 

On 4/3/2018 at 11:07, Think tank said:

To me it is fairly straight forward for this game...

Wildsmith

Venancio

lees

Pudil (Thornily if not fit)

Hunt

Bannan

Pelupussy

Reach

Forestieri

Nuhiu

Joao

Think we can win with that team! 

Basically exactly what I'd go with, though JL seems reluctant to play Reach at LWB for some reason, even though I think he'd be a natural. 

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think a time will come when this has to be tried. As FF gets sharper and sharper and builds up his match time he'll start to get frustrated. 

On paper this would be -I think most of us would agree - something to be looked at. 

The questions we will all want answering will be there to be asked. 

1) Does Reach have what it takes at LWB. On paper he does. He can deliver a cross. He's got huge lungs and the running won't be an issue. 

But will be be too isolated on his own. And will his lack of genuine tackling ability be an issue.

2) Will Forestieri fit into that role? Again, on paper it seems a no brainer having him pick the ball up in little pockets of space and running directly as defenders are occupied with Joao and Nuhiu.  Mouthwatering. 

But will it leave the midfielders more exposed ( as it's essentially 3 up top).... than having an extra man in central midfield? 

Well only find out when we see it. 

Now we're safe we need to try this - it'll be a shame if we never do. 

4 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Now we're safe we need to try this - it'll be a shame if we never do. 

I think it's imperative we do as the findings Jos will get from it will, IMO, have a big sway on the transfer business we need to do in the summer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Itss worth remembering that in the 15 or so gameswhere  FF played ahead of Pudil or Fox we were never exposed. We couldn’t stop scoring or winning in fact. 

Reach may may not be as good a LB as the early Pudil but he is better than the latter-day Pudil or Fox. 

Carlis shared red your opinion of FF in the hole. Said he want cut out for that role, CIA he didn’t have the discipline. I suspect Jos can command more discipline from his players than Carlis.

That’s not correct though is it .

He was awfully exposed in a game at Preston and Carlos never started him on the left again.

He often moved him to the left during games and played 433

On 03/04/2018 at 11:07, Think tank said:

To me it is fairly straight forward for this game...

Wildsmith

Venancio

lees

Pudil (Thornily if not fit)

Hunt

Bannan

Pelupussy

Reach

Forestieri

Nuhiu

Joao

Think we can win with that team! 

Have to agree. Joao and Nuhiu have to start too, neither can be dropped IMO.

I can see Boyd playing though, means that Reach won't be at LWB. Also whats happened to Van Aken? Injured again?

38 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

That’s not correct though is it .

He was awfully exposed in a game at Preston and Carlos never started him on the left again.

He often moved him to the left during games and played 433

Nope. Sorry you are wrong.

We were nil-nil at Preston when he got sent off. We were no more exposed down the left as down the right. We were rotten that day all thru the eleven. 

And yes yes he played FF wide several times after that. With great success. It is significant that the worst memory you have of that formation was a nil nil away to a good side.

Anyway. It’s gone. Let’s see what Jos’s ideas are for FF. Exciting to know,  He will probably experiment with him between now and May. 

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I didn't have a problem with playing FF in front of Pudil because Pudil back then was a solid left back, also added to the mix was that we played Hutch just in front of the back four. That season we often came out in the second half looking like a different team to the one that played in the first half. It was pretty obvious that we started off 442 but then in the second half (when we were trying to win the game) the main difference was that Pudil and Hunt were playing far higher up the pitch, we were in effect playing a back three with two very advanced wingbacks and Hutch dropping into centre back. FF then came into his own and started to wander in from the left making him very hard to mark. 

That's how I saw it anyway, and I'm convinced that teams gradually sussed what we were doing with the fullbacks as they were key to the system working. I'd even go as far as saying Warnock's Rotherham side that won at Hillsborough were the first to nail it.

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Nope. Sorry you are wrong.

We were nil-nil at Preston when he got sent off. We were no more exposed down the left as down the right. We were rotten that day all thru the eleven. 

And yes yes he played FF wide several times after that. With great success. It is significant that the worst memory you have of that formation was a nil nil away to a good side.

Anyway. It’s gone. Let’s see what Jos’s ideas are for FF. Exciting to know,  He will probably experiment with him between now and May. 

You have a very selective memory.

As one poster regularly puts it, “we’re playing Fulham not Barcelona FFS”

Liverpool didn’t switch to one striker up front just coz they were playing Man City at home, and I don’t think we need to be that cautious either. If Forestieri is fit to start now then let’s see how Fulham cope with him, Joao and Nuhiu coming at them, with Bannan, Reach and Hunt etc supplying them.

Maybe we’ll give them a tough game, especially as we already beat them this season 

With FF not starting I’d probably go for this now, assuming Pudil is injured 

Wildsmith 

Vennancio Lees Thorniley 

Hunt.                                     Boyd

Pelupessy Bannan Reach 

Nuhiu  Joao 

• Like 1