Team v Fulham?

Will be a real test on Saturday as for me Fulham are the second best team in the league behind Wolves, they've just yet again started badly and left themselves too much to do.

I don't think Boyd has the legs to play wing back, so it needs to be Reach there for now.  That isn't his best position though as he offers so much more going forward, so a left wing back is a must in the Summer. 

So I agree with the OP's line up.  Thornily is looking good, but Pudil has been excellent in that left sided centre half role, and against one of the top teams I'd leave him there for this game.

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Me personally - 442. FF wide left ahead of Reach LB. Nuhiu-Joao up top, Boyd wide right ahead of Hunt. Bannan and Joey central. Lees and Vernacio at the back.

However, If Jos continues to favour five across the middle I don’t see how FF fits, so I think he will keep him sub. Can’t split up Joao and Nuhiu. 

If we're serious about promotion next year; then FF & Joao have to start IMO.

However they are by far our most valuable assets; & may be sacrificed for FFP. Be an interesting summer transfer window.

21 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Talking about formations and what not is a waste it time IMHO.

When the whistle goes..swarm towards the Fulham goal... Wildsmith included.

WTF!?

Ground breaking tactical nous here pal ..

Could also compare this with my put all players side by side in the goal mouth when leading with minutes to play .

With our piece du resistance 

Big lad raised shoulder high lain across the other 9 players 

Looking forward to seeing

photoshopping efforts of our coaching skills .......

• Haha 1

Just now, zzmdu said:

If we're serious about promotion next year; then FF & Joao have to start IMO.

However they are by far our most valuable assets; & may be sacrificed for FFP. Be an interesting summer transfer window.

Fair opinion, but I disagree. Joao, Hooper and Nuhiu are better strikers than FF. Fine player, and for me a starter nearly every game, but far more effective wider.

• Like 1

Fulham are one of best teams in the league just hitting form and fighting for the autos and yet many think we may be playing three up top? I know being an owl often shocks and surprises you but can’t see that happening. 

If anything it may be loan striker for first half again and pack in the midfield, I think that’s more likely than three up top. 

Also imagine the pace and energy if their fullbacks is s worry for a Boyd/Pudil left flank. May be a return to wingback for Reach although can’t see who replaces him in the middle with no Hutch. 

Certainly be a test of our progress, be interesting to see actual line up, performance and outcome! 

8 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Fulham are one of best teams in the league just hitting form and fighting for the autos and yet many think we may be playing three up top? I know being an owl often shocks and surprises you but can’t see that happening. 

If anything it may be loan striker for first half again and pack in the midfield, I think that’s more likely than three up top. 

You’re probably right that we will see a cautious first half. But we’re not a typical 16th place team who’ve had a few good results lately thinking we can suddenly beat a playoff team..  we’ve picked up form because our own playoff quality players are back from injury.

I would go as far as to say that if we had our players fit this season we would be as good as Fulham are now, in fact we beat them in August and their line up looks similiar to the one we’ll face on the weekend + Mitrovic 

Lots of people on here are talking about how Nuhiu and Joao should be our strikeforce for next season, when we should be aiming for playoffs, well here’s a good test at how they can perform against a fellow playoff rival. They certainly showed it second half against Preston.

I think Jos will learn more for next season if we take Fulham on, rather than sit back with one striker on the field.

21 hours ago, Think tank said:

To me it is fairly straight forward for this game...

Wildsmith

Venancio

lees

Pudil (Thornily if not fit)

Hunt

Bannan

Pelupussy

Reach

Forestieri

Nuhiu

Joao

Think we can win with that team! 

Not a bad lineup.

Possibly Jones in for Bannan to add some defensive muscle, with Bannan behind the  front two and FF on the bench.

This will be a tough game and we’ll need cover for the defense.

if Matias is available he could also be a consideration for this game at some point. 

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Me personally - 442. FF wide left ahead of Reach LB. Nuhiu-Joao up top, Boyd wide right ahead of Hunt. Bannan and Joey central. Lees and Vernacio at the back.

However, If Jos continues to favour five across the middle I don’t see how FF fits, so I think he will keep him sub. Can’t split up Joao and Nuhiu. 

You’d have Reach at Left back and FF left wing (because FF would play left wing, not left mid)  in a 442? 

What could possibly go wrong?

You’ve got a player at left back who is never in a million years a left back and FF at left wing who isn’t going to be offering much help to Reach.

That left hand side would be targeted and be a bit of a shambles imo. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Walt said:

You’d have Reach at Left back and FF left wing (because FF would play left wing, not left mid)  in a 442? 

What could possibly go wrong?

You’ve got a player at left back who is never in a million years a left back and FF at left wing who isn’t going to be offering much help to Reach.

That left hand side would be targeted and be a bit of a shambles imo. 

Well I disagree with you. Reach is a better LB than anyone currently available, and better than Fox when he returns.

There are two sides to line-up, and one is attacking. FF/Reach would be a very attacking  right dude, giving oppo managers MUCH to think about.

And are you suggesting managers haven’t been targeting  Fox or Pudil for the last two seasons?

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Well I disagree with you. Reach is a better LB than anyone currently available, and better than Fox when he returns.

There are two sides to line-up, and one is attacking. FF/Reach would be a very attacking  right dude, giving oppo managers MUCH to think about.

And are you suggesting managers haven’t been targeting  Fox or Pudil for the last two seasons?

No. I’m suggesting Reach isn’t a left back and FF isn’t going to be running back much. It’s a shocking left hand side and any manager worth their salt would target it and destroy us down that side, it’s as clear as day.  See us against Utd at home and us at Bolton away where both oppo managers targeted Reach at left back. Utter shambles, made worse by having no one defensively helping Reach out. The left back position is number one priority for me in the summer as like you say it has been weak and targeted but Reach is not the answer especially in a 442 even more so with FF playing left wing.

I wouldn’t be averse to giving Reach a go at LWB in a 352/343 mind but that then means FF can’t play left wing which I ironically (given the above) fully agree with you is his best position but  for me he’d be played on the left in a 433/451. I’ve seldom seen FF have a good game when he’s played in the hole, which many are suggesting he should do in a 343. I can see their reasons as they make perfect sense, the position should be ideal for him. 

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

You’re probably right that we will see a cautious first half. But we’re not a typical 16th place team who’ve had a few good results lately thinking we can suddenly beat a playoff team..  we’ve picked up form because our own playoff quality players are back from injury.

I would go as far as to say that if we had our players fit this season we would be as good as Fulham are now, in fact we beat them in August and their line up looks similiar to the one we’ll face on the weekend + Mitrovic 

Lots of people on here are talking about how Nuhiu and Joao should be our strikeforce for next season, when we should be aiming for playoffs, well here’s a good test at how they can perform against a fellow playoff rival. They certainly showed it second half against Preston.

I think Jos will learn more for next season if we take Fulham on, rather than sit back with one striker on the field.

Whilst we have a few players back I think it’s a bit early to think we’re back and fully firing. 

We still are missing: Best keeper in league, Best midfielder in league (imo) and one of best strikers in the league. 

Fessi is not match fit yet but getting there and Bannan not capable of full 90 either but getting there too. 

Either way we have nothing to lose so won’t matter too much, but I’d prefer us not to catch a hiding as we build on this mini revival. 

The problem we have on Saturday is that Fulham play the perfect style to cause big problems for anybody playing 3 at the back and wing backs.

They dominate possession and attack with pace out wide.

If we can get at their defence then we can cause them problems but it is going to be tough

As for looking what system we should be playing going forward. 

Only one of the teams in the current top 10 in this league play 442.

That is Millwall. A team who have a physical midfield built on hard running and tough tackling.

I realise we have a glut of strikers who play better with two up front but if we are to play 442 , which I don’t think Jos will , then we need to address some glaring issues in midfield which Carlos never solved in over two seasons.

We can't play negatively like the first half against Preston. For me, we have to play an attacking side and take the game to Fulham. We are at home afterall!

Yes, we'll be susceptible to the counter but if we just get bodies behind the ball and carry no threat going forward then they have more than enough quality to pick us off.

Be positive Jos and give them something to worry about.

39 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The problem we have on Saturday is that Fulham play the perfect style to cause big problems for anybody playing 3 at the back and wing backs.

They dominate possession and attack with pace out wide.

If we can get at their defence then we can cause them problems but it is going to be tough

Glad someone else can see it. Fulham have put eight past Utd this season and Utd play the back three system far better than us. 

Problem is we haven’t got many options to change much. I’d be struggling to come up with a way of negating their threat out wide. We may end up with a genuine back 5. I’d be bringing Penney back from his loan move now that Fox is out and Boyd is never in a million years a wingback.