Could Sunderland have given us more tickets?

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Under the rules of the Championship around tickets etc I'd be shocked if Sunderland couldn't open up more of their half empty ground and give us more tickets for the match there?

They'd make more £££ which if they do down will need very badly

Could be due to the cost of policing games, if they give a bigger allocation the costs may rise.

Below is a cost that Northumbria police gave under the freedom of information act.

The amount that Northumbria Police have received from Newcastle United and Sunderland football Clubs towards the cost of policing their fixtures as at the 23rd March 2017 in the 2016/17 season is as follows. This includes cup games;

Newcastle United - £102,980

Sunderland AFC   - £247,390

1 minute ago, OwlsfaninNorway said:

Aren't they supposed to give us 10% of the seats? Theeir capacity is around 49 000.

I believe they are only 'obliged' to give us 2,000 seats.

Sunderland announced last week they were closing top tiers of ground to save money. They clearly are not getting the crowds and the chairman has even less of a clue than our on how to run a football club and a business.

3 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

I believe they are only 'obliged' to give us 2,000 seats.

They quote they have up to a maximum of up to 3,000 seats for away fans for league fixtures but more for cup fixtures for some reason?

The additional seating is top tier which is normally closed.

Edited by Hookowl

Think their capacity is around 45/46000. They have been getting around 27/28000 which bearing in mind they have been bottom 3 most of the season ain't to bad. 

Cant see them giving us more tickets 'to make more of an atmosphere' to help us why would they. The extra revenue for them wouldn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

They quote they have up to a maximum of up to 3,000 seats for away fans for league fixtures but more for cup fixtures for some reason?

The “reason” for Cup Games is that (if the demand is there), they must provide an allocation of 15% of total capacity for away fans - that’s clearly higher than their normal league allocation. Rules of the Cup.

• Thanks 1

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

2 hours ago, Hookowl said:

I know they closed the top tier for home fans recently to improve the atmosphere. I think its the rules for all Championship clubs, the minimum you can offer to away fans is 2,000 seats.

48 minutes ago, Neal M said:

The “reason” for Cup Games is that (if the demand is there), they must provide an allocation of 15% of total capacity for away fans - that’s clearly higher than their normal league allocation. Rules of the Cup.

I know but their capacity is quoted at 49,000 yet they also quote 9,000 for away fans for cup games.

15% of 49,000 is only 7,350 so they obviously have the facility to allocate more if they wish yet we have only been allocated 2,500.

I can only presume this lower figure is due to additional costs they may accrue for policing if they allocated more?

7 minutes ago, MarkS43Owl said:

I know they closed the top tier for home fans recently to improve the atmosphere. I think its the rules for all Championship clubs, the minimum you can offer to away fans is 2,000 seats.

I thought we'd been allocated 2,500 and I'm sure we've been allocated more at other championship clubs.

18 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

I thought we'd been allocated 2,500 and I'm sure we've been allocated more at other championship clubs.

Yes we have, not sure why they can't/wont offer more, like others have said it's maybe down to the policing costs. But at every club in the league they guarantee to give you 2000 seats.