Number of fouls given in the Championship on Saturday

I think if I was a dodgy ref and was taking payments to influence games, the easiest way to do it would be on how I interperated fouls. 

Usually they are never black and white, and would be very hard to prove you cheated. 

Disallowing goals and giving non pens is too obvious and would more readily draw questions about your judgement. 

Free kicks on the other hand, who cares about those? 

Corrupt tvvat

2 minutes ago, attyjake said:

I watched on TV replays and I though the other defender was too far away to catch big Dave but all the same I reckon 80% of honest refs would have given foul and booked/sent off Terry. Some say he just got a touch on the ball but that does not matter, the laws of the game say you cannot tackle from behind even if you get the ball because you will almost always bring the man down too. Thats why big D went down.

As I said...It was a foul imo and perhaps worth a booking.....not a sending off (unfortunately). I was at the game and only got one view of the tackle (same as ref) but instinctively thought it was a foul as I could not see any change in the direction the ball travelled after the tackle. 50-50% on whether it was a good goal scoring opportunity....but it was a foul for sure at first viewing.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Eh?

It's in this very thread

lol

28167775_10215839241993443_3238624706986817124_n.jpg

The % at the end is the % of the total fouls not the % of tackles by each team which were adjudged to have been fouls.

It is just coincidence that 94% is the total of fouls we committed as well as the % of our tackles adjudged to have been fouls by the ref.

eg Preston had 9 fouls out of 20 in the game which is 45% of the total and Ipswich had 55% of the total. This table doesn't show the number of tackles that Preston attempted and consequently what % of those tackles were fouls.

My point is that if Villa had only attempted 3 or 4 tackles 1 foul might be credible but they attempted the same number of tackles as us but we made 1 successful tackle and all but one of theirs was successful. This just defies belief.

Just now, Almat said:

It's such a stand out stat it's practically begging to be investigated. 

It is indeed. In a past life I investigated cases of potential misconduct. If I had been presented with this sort of information I would certainly expect the bloke to be interviewed after the assessor's match report had been received.

Just now, the mighty wednesday said:

The % at the end is the % of the total fouls not the % of tackles by each team which were adjudged to have been fouls.

It is just coincidence that 94% is the total of fouls we committed as well as the % of our tackles adjudged to have been fouls by the ref.

eg Preston had 9 fouls out of 20 in the game which is 45% of the total and Ipswich had 55% of the total. This table doesn't show the number of tackles that Preston attempted and consequently what % of those tackles were fouls.

My point is that if Villa had only attempted 3 or 4 tackles 1 foul might be credible but they attempted the same number of tackles as us but we made 1 successful tackle and all but one of theirs was successful. This just defies belief.

Ah got ya

Makes sense now

that's a right coincidence too!

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You can see the ball significantly accelerate - meaning Terry definitely got the ball

Whether it's a foul at that point due to coming from behind or taking the player is then up to the ref I guess but you can definitely see the ball shoot off Terry's foot

I thought the ball might have accelerated due to Nuhiu's dodgy control but I think it was a tackle from behind as was the one on Reach just before their 2nd goal.

They don't get away with tackles from behind like that in the Prem. Ironic that Swarbrick is a Prem referee isn't it.

6 minutes ago, Gildowl said:

It is indeed. In a past life I investigated cases of potential misconduct. If I had been presented with this sort of information I would certainly expect the bloke to be interviewed after the assessor's match report had been received.

Totally agree with you. I used to do business forecasting and auditing and this kind of anomaly is exactly what would set the alarm bells ringing.

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You can see the ball significantly accelerate - meaning Terry definitely got the ball

Whether it's a foul at that point due to coming from behind or taking the player is then up to the ref I guess but you can definitely see the ball shoot off Terry's foot

What really, really annoyed me most about that was Nuhiu after the Terry foul / tackle went down injured like a he broke his ankle. Soon as he wasn't going to get anything got up like nothing had happened. (Then nearly went on to score 10 seconds later running like he wasn't touched).

I know Nuhiu not only one that does this, in fact 95% of players do the same but I HATE it.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

What really, really annoyed me most about that was Nuhiu after the Terry foul / tackle went down injured like a he broke his ankle. Soon as he wasn't going to get anything got up like nothing had happened. (Then nearly went on to score 10 seconds later running like he wasn't touched).

I know Nuhiu not only one that does this, in fact 95% of players do the same but I HATE it.

Yeah but it's how the game works. 

Seems they have to sell it to refs or they don't give em. 

Refs don't really notice the fouls, they notice the effect of the fouls. 

If the effect makes it looks like it was a foul, they tend to give it. 

That's why some players like snodgrass get them,  because they are good simulators. 

But I guess some take it a step further and pretend they have been shot which is probably unnecessary. 

3 minutes ago, MaliceInBlunderland said:

Wouldn't mind knowing how many times this season so far, in the top 4 divisions of English football, a team has been judged to have committed just one foul in a game, other than Saturday.

Not just this season......since time football was formed!  Fron pub team league to Champions League   and all over the world I doubt this has ever happened, we going into the realms of fantasy here.... I reckon we could even make the guiness book of records 

lol

The referee was not anywhere near up to the standards required to referee such a game. He looked completely off the pace, his positioning, decision making and overall demeanour was of a typical Premier League official who was having to put up with an irrelevant Championship fixture before his big day at Wembley on Sunday. 

It was that moment in the second half where we were fouled on the edge of our own box. Incredibly he played advantage despite Villa having us on a high press, we lost the ball 2 touches later and Villa pinned us back. That was the moment I realised that he was just not at it at all. 

Mr Luhukay has made no comment about the referee whatsoever preferring to point the finger at our ability to defend certain situations. He was very calm, cool and seemingly unaffected by the apparent difference in the way the referee responded to the teams on Saturday. I'm not keen on seeing the manager/coach blame the ref every week when a team loses but there is no doubt that the ones who kick up a fuss from time to time do get treated differently (Ferguson, Mourinho, Allardyce etc) because the refs don't want the aggro and the Referee's Association then keep the ref away from the complaining team for a while. The juxtaposition of Neil Lennon's aftermatch interview (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43181880 and that of Jos this weekend shows the massive difference in responses. Which reaction do you prefer as a supporter of Sheffield Wednesday?

56 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

According to one stats site we fouled 16 times and this was 94% of our tackles therefore only one was not a foul.

Villa fouled once which equated to 6% of their tackles so they made 15 or 16 tackles which were not fouls.

This bears no resemblance to the game I saw.

That isn't what the data says at all 

11 minutes ago, attyjake said:

Not just this season......since time football was formed!  Fron pub team league to Champions League   and all over the world I doubt this has ever happened, we going into the realms of fantasy here.... I reckon we could even make the guiness book of records 

lol

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to know this too, but I was trying to keep the amount of research required realistic.:biggrin:

Was hoping that if I limited it to this season, some kind soul may take it upon themselves to find out because I, quite frankly, can't be a.rsed.

lol

29 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

That isn't what the data says at all 

I later refer to what Neil said (similar to you) about my first post. I stated the data from another site which actually showed the number of tackles made. Read (my second post) it and it will become clear, I'm sure, to an intelligent bloke like you

The table only shows each teams % of total fouls - the figures I quote show that we made only 1 non foul tackle (94% of our total of 16) Villa made only 1 foul tackle (6% of 16) although we both had 16 attempted tackles. It is purely a coincidence that the end columns which refer to % of the total fouls in the game are the same at 94% and 6%. The table you see here does not show the total tackles attempted by each team. That is the figure I referred to in my first post in this thread. My point is that 1 foul from 3 or 4 attempted tackles may be credible 1 foul from 16 attempts may not be credible

Edited by the mighty wednesday