Number of fouls given in the Championship on Saturday

7 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

I am referring to what Neil said about my first post. I stated the data from another site which actually showed the number of tackles made. Re- read it and it will become clear, I'm sure, to an intelligent bloke like you

The table only shows each teams % of total fouls - the figures I quote show that we made only 1 non foul tackle (94% of our total of 16) Villa made only 1 foul tackle (6% of 16) although we both had 16 attempted tackles. It is purely a coincidence that the end columns which refer to % of the total fouls in the game are the same at 94% and 6%. The table you see here does not show the total tackles attempted by each team. That is the figure I referred to in my first post in this thread. My point is that 1 foul from 3 or 4 attempted tackles may be credible 1 foul from 16 attempts may not be credible

No, I know what you're trying to say mate, but you've got yourself in a right kerfuffle

You've said that we attempted a total of 17 tackles, of which 16 were fouls. Problem is, it's either a tackle or a foul... it can't be both. They're mutually exclusive. We actually attempted a total of 33 challenges for the ball, of which 17 were successful tackles and 16 were fouls. So about 50% foul rate, not 90-odd%. Link below which shows the game stats showing this. Venancio made 4 successful tackles and fouled 0 times... so there's no way our entire team could have only had one tackle for the ball that wasn't a foul

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1193287/LiveStatistics/England-Championship-2017-2018-Sheffield-Wednesday-Aston-Villa

If we'd only made 17 attempted challenges for the ball you'd be spot on... as it is we made 33.

Edited by StudentOwl

I know absolutely nothing from this weekends game. I wasn't there and had a weekend completely away from it all. 

But it this is ridiculous, and surely everyone can see this- from fans to the FA. I honestly cannot believe a statement hasn't been released already saying it's going to be investigated! 

34 minutes ago, MaliceInBlunderland said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to know this too, but I was trying to keep the amount of research required realistic.:biggrin:

Was hoping that if I limited it to this season, some kind soul may take it upon themselves to find out because I, quite frankly, can't be a.rsed.

lol

Me neither but I have been watching football of all classes for 50 years and I don't recall ever seeing it happen....EVER  

So I base my theory on that and as my wife says I am never wrong.

lol

Thought long and hard before posting this because I know I'm going to get lambasted but here goes.

Having played at quite a high level of local football for many years, my take on referees was one of 'they can't play football themselves but want to be involved, so therefore have a basic lack of understanding of the game'.

I was and still are friends with a couple of ex referees (we're all getting on) and can honestly say that it was the case in most situations.

But these guys have to make decisions within a second and obviously as in life, you never get it right every time.

I was at the game on Saturday and as everyone else, thought the ref had a poor game and got more than a couple of decisions wrong BUT (and I know it will never stop) the worst thing to do is start calling a referee. Some of the obscenities I heard shouted and some he probably heard, were out of order. It's a natural human reaction to kick against someone giving you a hard time and you just think 'Fxxk you you're getting nothing', rightly or wrongly. You see/hear it every week.

Whilst it's good to air frustrations, I don't think writing to the FA or making threats really does any good. I wouldn't want us to get labelled as serial whingers within the refereeing fraternity and end up on the end of more "poor performances" from referees, if that's not already the case.

Old stagers like John Terry know how to play referees, Paul Ince, Denis Wise, Gary Neville to name a few more. Yeah it's not right but happens.

Just an old mans opinion.

https://www.whoscored.com/Referees/116/Show/Neil-Swarbrick

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

No, I know what you're trying to say mate, but you've got yourself in a right kerfuffle

You've said that we attempted a total of 17 tackles, of which 16 were fouls. Problem is, it's either a tackle or a foul... it can't be both. They're mutually exclusive. We actually attempted a total of 33 challenges for the ball, of which 17 were successful tackles and 16 were fouls. So about 50%, not 90-odd%. Link below which shows the game stats showing this. Venancio made 4 successful tackles and fouled 0 times... so there's no way we could have only had one tackle for the ball that wasn't a foul

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1193287/LiveStatistics/England-Championship-2017-2018-Sheffield-Wednesday-Aston-Villa

If we'd only made 17 attempted challenges for the ball you'd be spot on... as it is we made 33.

I took my figures from this which states as a footnote that it is the number of fouls per tackle at 0.94 for us and 0.06 for Villa. This seems to ring true as none of the figures for any team are above 1.00 which means that the number of fouls does not exceed the number of tackles

4 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

I took my figures from this which states as a footnote that it is the number of fouls per tackle at 0.94 for us and 0.06 for Villa. This seems to ring true as none of the figures for any team are above 1.00 which means that the number of fouls does not exceed the number of tackles

Yeah, that's the ratio of it. That number could be greater than 1 if a team committed more fouls than tackles in a game. Like I say, it's either a tackle or a foul, they go into separate columns... if someone makes a "tackle" and the referee blows for a free kick, then it doesn't go into the tackle column it goes into the foul column. 

Unless you're saying that in his two games officiating Man Utd, every single time they've gone for a tackle he's blown for a free kick? 

Edited by StudentOwl

2 hours ago, Onge said:

It's a highly unusual stat, certainly, but that doesn't mean a) the ref was bought or that b) the result would have been different had the count been more balanced.

Now stop this ref witch-hunt and move onto the next game, people!

Maybe not, but the awarding of free kicks unjustly and wrongly DID affect the game, giving Villa positions they would not have been able to utilise had the fouls not been given.

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Yeah, that's the ratio of it. That number could be greater than 1 if a team committed more fouls than tackles in a game. Like I say, it's either a tackle or a foul, they go into separate columns... if someone makes a "tackle" and the referee blows a free kick, then it doesn't go into the tackle column it goes into the foul column. 

Unless you're saying that in his two games officiating Man Utd, every single time they've gone for a tackle he's blown for a free kick? 

So it doesn't make it very clear that it is the number of clean tackles that it is a ratio of and it is just a coincidence that none of Swarbrick's figures have higher than 50% fouls to clean tackles.

I see what you mean now I look at the detailed breakdown of our players. Think I was too keen to go for Swarbrick's jugular lol

2 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

So it doesn't make it very clear that it is the number of clean tackles that it is a ratio of and it is just a coincidence that none of Swarbrick's figures have higher than 50% fouls to clean tackles.

I see what you mean now I look at the detailed breakdown of our players. Think I was too keen to go for Swarbrick's jugular lol

Don't worry, I'll hold the c*nt down for you

11 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Yeah, that's the ratio of it. That number could be greater than 1 if a team committed more fouls than tackles in a game. Like I say, it's either a tackle or a foul, they go into separate columns... if someone makes a "tackle" and the referee blows a free kick, then it doesn't go into the tackle column it goes into the foul column. 

Unless you're saying that in his two games officiating Man Utd, every single time they've gone for a tackle he's blown for a free kick

To be fair if he did that I think there might be a bit of forgiveness for Saturday lol

Forget all the major decisions.

The Terry tackle, The pen (I did think it was a pen btw) and a few other mystery ones.

What gets me is how is it even possible to commit just 1 foul in any game anywhere? In this day and age where every little touch is deemed a foul.

Forget getting free kicks in and around their box, in attackinn positions.

This stat is saying there were no late tackles chasing the ball, no defender getting a slight touch in the back shielding the ball. No pushes challenging for headers. All those tiny little niggles that usually take foul totals into double figures for every team for every match.

I don’t think he’s bent and paid because it’d be too bloody stupid and obviously the way he reffed the game and sucked up to Bruce and Terry.

What I do think however is that on some level, whether he is aware or it’s subconscious he clearly favoured one team over another and was completely biased in his judgement on practically every decision.

Questions do needs answering, he does need to be put before the FA and he needs suspending whilst an investigation takes place. If found innocent of wrong doing let him back to work. Happens again then get rid. It’s impossible to have any game, even or one sided to end how that did. Utterly bizarre   

• Like 1

Sod the amount of fouls against Wednesday and only the one against Villa, what Bruce did with Swarbrick on the touch line was beyond words. I wonder why he ran over to Bruce in the  first place. Putting both hands on his face in a 'pally gesture' was beyond belief. I don't really know how else I can describe it. Its a though both were sticking two fingers up to everyone and saying 'so what if we are best mates'  go and f**k yourselves.

2 hours ago, Whatahoot said:

I was at the game on Saturday and I must admit I cannot remember a more one sided refereeing performance in all my years. It was a complete mystery, both in the bookings and the fouls given. It is nearly impossible to only give away only one foul in a whole game ( 90 minutes of a contact sport). Not going into each individual foul, but just to say that there was no aggressive play by either side and the strength of tackling was very similar. How the ref arrived at his decisions, only he will know. We can only hope that the referee assessor was more balanced in his report on his performance and reports the facts correctly. Not that the FA will do anything, but will perhaps stand him down for a while.

Referees assessing referees .....they are all part of the same club they are hardly going to crap on each other.

2 hours ago, attyjake said:

Not just this season......since time football was formed!  Fron pub team league to Champions League   and all over the world I doubt this has ever happened, we going into the realms of fantasy here.... I reckon we could even make the guiness book of records 

lol

Lets be honest nothing will happen with the FA about the ref .

so what we should do is make an application to the Guinness book of records for entry and try and get it well covered on social media so it got picked up by the press.

Good job for Neil, he has nowt else to do

21 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Lets be honest nothing will happen with the FA about the ref .

so what we should do is make an application to the Guinness book of records for entry and try and get it well covered on social media so it got picked up by the press.

Good job for Neil, he has nowt else to do

Get straight on it Neil.

As I said in another thread it's the equivalent of a bowler bowling 6 no balls in an over and at the very least warrants investigation. Try ringing an online bookie and ask them what odds they'll give you for either us or Swansea or both committing only 1 foul in the whole game tomorrow.