Daniel Pudil

Was absolutely outstanding. As good as any performance from a Wednesday player this year. Every second ball he won, and with what Abraham did to lees last year he showed how good a cb he is. Shocked really as a lb he is done, but clear has a football brain and found himself a role. Number 1 choice at the back for me now.

4 hours ago, swfcjack27 said:

Absolutely superb. Won every header and cleared everything, rate performance and venancio looked good alongside him. Won’t see him at full back again he’s making centre half his own. Solid performance just lack that cutting edge 

Really shows Jos’s coaching skills when you compare to a few months ago.

5 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Why does he only do this when he needs a contract? 

He was great on loan. Poor last season, started the season at CB and looked average but has turned it on again now. 

disagree completely. Started off the season there and played well before being dropped completely by Carlos. Few games at left back after many games out is a struggle for anyone to get back to their consistent best.

Might be playing for a  contract, but for me deserves another year

Making that position his own at the moment ...

Just now, Hack-Abusi said:

disagree completely. Started off the season there and played well before being dropped completely by Carlos. Few games at left back after many games out is a struggle for anyone to get back to their consistent best.

Might be playing for a  contract, but for me deserves another year

Making that position his own at the moment ...

By all means keep it to a year at a time. I’m not suggesting it is an attitude thing but it clearly makes him focus.

He did start the season at CB but he wasn’t as good then as he is now. He struggled at Burton with sordell and their equaliser was a result of the ball coming off his back and mason scoring. He was dropped afterwards.

He didn’t have a problem coming in and playing left back on loan after not really featuring but last season he wasn’t as good. It could be pure coincidence but he strikes me as a player who brings his best when he is playing for his future.

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

By all means keep it to a year at a time. I’m not suggesting it is an attitude thing but it clearly makes him focus.

He did start the season at CB but he wasn’t as good then as he is now. He struggled at Burton with sordell and their equaliser was a result of the ball coming off his back and mason scoring. He was dropped afterwards.

He didn’t have a problem coming in and playing left back on loan after not really featuring but last season he wasn’t as good. It could be pure coincidence but he strikes me as a player who brings his best when he is playing for his future.

A couple of things: 

He looks a lot better in a back three. 

His decline at left back was (imo) a result of the fact he's simply lost his pace. This was happening towards the back end of his first season with us. 

I don't think it is anything to do with him not trying (when his future is secure). 

Couldn't disagree with you more tbh. 

10 hours ago, SiJ said:

A couple of things: 

His decline at left back was (imo) a result of the fact he's simply lost his pace. This was happening towards the back end of his first season with us. 

I don't think it is anything to do with him not trying (when his future is secure). 

A few things:

I’ve not suggested he isn’t trying he always does. But his form has improved when he has had a contract to secure, perhaps that is the scenario he should be kept in if it brings the best out of him. 

Also if Jos ultimately wants to go 4231 rather than rely on 5 at the back then we will need players who can do both, rather than look leggy in a back four. 

There might not be much room to manoeuvre in terms of contracts in the summer so I think we would be better off taking the opportunity for a complete refresh. 

11 hours ago, SiJ said:

A couple of things: 

Totally agree. I was quite damning on Pudils performances at left back. He didn’t have the legs to play this role given Carlos liked his full backs to bomb on and provide the width.

However, his performances in the back 3, either in the middle or the left have been superb. He really has been excellent. 

I would be inclined to release him a few months ago but now I’m thinking I’d give him a 2 year extension. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

Can’t believe he didn’t start tonight after that performance, should have been first name on the team sheet for me. Doubt it was a fitness issue  Saturday Tuesday for a centre half isn’t asking the world. Got to be back in for Saturday, Jos must realise he’s had a nightmare selecting tonight.

On 17/02/2018 at 14:49, s6 owl said:

He is a proper centre half. No nonsense a leader and good at reading the game.

He was originally a LM in his career who reverted to a LB at Watford. Usually as your legs go you head further back into less dangerous areas which is why CB suits him in a 3 right now. Is giving him a new deal the right idea though? I'm not sure to be honest. If Loovens leaves then I'd give a Pudil no more than a year as we don't want to be left with too many players over 30.