Alex Hunt gets first Pro Deal

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Always good to sign up the kids but why so short a contract - 18 months, the kid is the captain of the under 18's - it just me but I would if we rate him, sign him up to a longer deal or have an extension clause in his contract.

As we start to produce more and more good young players if we don't wise up with the contract lengths we are going to get more and more GH style issues.

Please SWFC wise up and don't get caught on the hop again.

How do the club know how he will develop?? 18 months is a good way of getting a young lad into the system.

god forbid and I hope it doesn’t happen but he could get a double leg break or a serious injury...I know lot of people who “nearly made it” but got injured at a young age.

Alan Smith (ex physio) was on the books of Middlesbrough and looked like making it but had to pack in...in his teens. That’s why he became a physio.  

1 minute ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

How do the club know how he will develop?? 18 months is a good way of getting a young lad into the system.

god forbid and I hope it doesn’t happen but he could get a double leg break or a serious injury...I know lot of people who “nearly made it” but got injured at a young age.

Alan Smith (ex physio) was on the books of Middlesbrough and looked like making it but had to pack in...in his teens. That’s why he became a physio.  

Yep - I have never been the worse case scenario person - I suppose its with being a Owls fans - but this kid develops and next season someone offers him more money and this is football it happens he will be off.

With us from the age of 8 but we manage him from season to season. This loyalty thing goes two ways.

I would just tie players up to longer contracts its not like he will be on any more than a few hundred a week anyway, to a championship club for every 3 or 4 that don't make it you get one Wildsmith or dare i say it one GH, that covers the faith you put in the youth. Currently be it becuase we don't normally produce any young players we seem to be under valuing what potential we have on our books.

44 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Yep - I have never been the worse case scenario person - I suppose its with being a Owls fans - but this kid develops and next season someone offers him more money and this is football it happens he will be off.

With us from the age of 8 but we manage him from season to season. This loyalty thing goes two ways.

I would just tie players up to longer contracts its not like he will be on any more than a few hundred a week anyway, to a championship club for every 3 or 4 that don't make it you get one Wildsmith or dare i say it one GH, that covers the faith you put in the youth. Currently be it becuase we don't normally produce any young players we seem to be under valuing what potential we have on our books.

This is where the club comes in...they should be on top of young players contracts on a yearly basis to avoid that situation. Keeping players at that level keen and interested is better than giving young players multi million pound deals and making them think they have made it. 

the first team manager also as a responsibility in the process as well because it should be a case of “if your good enough” you deserve a chance or at least be given the reassurances of future opportunities. Sadly I feel this situation could have had a bearing on the Hirst saga! 

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

Always good to sign up the kids but why so short a contract - 18 months, the kid is the captain of the under 18's - it just me but I would if we rate him, sign him up to a longer deal or have an extension clause in his contract.

As we start to produce more and more good young players if we don't wise up with the contract lengths we are going to get more and more GH style issues.

Please SWFC wise up and don't get caught on the hop again.

It's two and half years

FA rules state that "players under-18 cannot sign a contract surpassing a 3 year maximum"

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Really pleased for Alex. He has been at the club a long time and is nice lad. His Mum and Dad will be very proud especially as the family are all big Wednesdayites. Well done Alex.

Think he's got a chance tho? Looks v lightweight to me but nice touch and awareness. Waldock plays same position and looks the pick to me.

Wish him all the luck in the world. Great that he is a true Owl as well. Would love to see three or four of us in the side.

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

And if he does amazingly well and get offers from Premiership clubs, then we will try to bully him into signing new deal.

Loyalty goes both ways.

If his contract runs out, club will get at least some compensation due to his age. However, if he fails or get injured, club will just kick him out and he will leave with nothing.

19 minutes ago, dfoster said:

Think he's got a chance tho? Looks v lightweight to me but nice touch and awareness. Waldock plays same position and looks the pick to me.

Wish him all the luck in the world. Great that he is a true Owl as well. Would love to see three or four of us in the side.

Only time will tell as players develop at different ages.

1 hour ago, royalowlisback said:

Nice to see one of the boxes being used - maybe it's Hoopers?

nice to, see alex getting his dream promotion, maybe his granddad will celebrate and buy the beer for the lads in the club.[even tho he,s a blunt!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
16 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

Can't wait till his brother, Mike, signs.

Surely if he's from Yorkshire, his brother would be called Mick? lol

18 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Hi, jack, forgive me for highlighting part of your post, but it HAS happened to Wednesday- .3 times to my knowledge , and in a relatively short time. The players concerned were 

1. The legendary Derek Dooley- who broke is leg, and had it amputated, as we all well know.

2. A certain Douggie Miff  Macmillan - a promising centre forward who had his leg trapped, and subsequently amputated, when involved in a crash whilst on the team coach, travelling to a match.

3. A very speedy winger, Eddie Kilshaw. who made   up the right triangle of a rio of famous Eddies -alongside Gannon (Half Back) and Quigley (Inside right)

The latter allegedly spent over twelve months running from bottom to top and back of the old, uncovered Kop, to try regaining his fitness, but failing A possible routine for some of our 'stars' of today?