Alex Hunt gets first Pro Deal

Alex Hunt has signed his first professional contract with the Owls.

The talented academy product, who has been part of the club’s youth set-up since the age of seven, has signed until summer 2020.

The 17-year-old is enjoying a terrific season for the Owls academy, where he is the current captain of the Under-18s.

His first professional contract marks an excellent week for the youngster, who led his side to victory in the Under-18 Steel City derby on Saturday.

Drawing 1-1 at Shirecliffe in the second half, Hunt executed a superb free kick, sending the ball over the wall and into the top corner to put the visitors ahead. The Owls went on to register a 3-1 win.

Hunt has also impressed in a first team environment, where he has excelled on the training field under the watchful eyes of manager Jos Luhukay and coaching staff.

The midfielder told swfc.co.uk: “I’ve been at this club since I was seven years old so to come all the way through to this point, it’s all I’ve ever dreamt about as a kid.

“Growing up you always say you want to be a footballer, but you never know what it actually takes.

“It’s a difficult business so this is a very proud day for me and my family.

“I’ve supported Wednesday all my life, I went to games with my dad and sat on the North Stand.

“Growing up a Wednesday fan, all I want to do is play in the first team. I’ve just got to wait for the right time and continue to work as hard as I can.”

• Like 1

Always good to sign up the kids but why so short a contract - 18 months, the kid is the captain of the under 18's - it just me but I would if we rate him, sign him up to a longer deal or have an extension clause in his contract.

As we start to produce more and more good young players if we don't wise up with the contract lengths we are going to get more and more GH style issues.

Please SWFC wise up and don't get caught on the hop again.

Just now, room0035 said:

Always good to sign up the kids but why so short a contract - 18 months, the kid is the captain of the under 18's - it just me but I would if we rate him, sign him up to a longer deal or have an extension clause in his contract.

As we start to produce more and more good young players if we don't wise up with the contract lengths we are going to get more and more GH style issues.

They would't sign longer contracts, for the exact reasons you've just mentioned.

Plus what if he turns out poo in these next 18 months? We don't want to be burdened with him til hes 23 with the quality of a non league player.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Summer 2020 is 30 months away.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Could be written into his contract, we don't know the details.

Even so summer 2020 which is over 2 years is a lot better than the normal 12 months.

13 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Yeah! lets give him a £10k a week too.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Yeah agree with you mate, this lad looks quite physically undeveloped for his age as well so might as well give him the extra time if we really rate him.