Was it really a red card for Loovens?

18 minutes ago, BARAC0UDA said:

I work with a current FA refs assessor, he came to talk to me about it this morning as he knows I'm a Wednesday fan, he's good friends with Fridays ref and said he spoke to him last night. 

He thought it wasn't a second yellow but could understand why it was given. Also said Wallace should've been red carded but the ref told him he didn't have a clear view and didn't send him off because it would've been guess work. 

He also told me the ref had a falling out with wilder after the game :laugh:

I agree totally.

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

it's enough to give the foul , the blunt wasn't injured , he wasn't thru on goal ,I don't think it was deliberate as his studs looked to have stuck in pitch , it wasn't dangerous play . poor decision for me.......

Agreed.  It looked like a foul but actually it wasn't. But Loovens could have tried to just contain him in that position.

Some bizarre anti Loovens comments here.

He was absolutely brilliant every season he has been here up to this season.  Our defence was rock solid under Gray and in the first two seasons under CC.  Big Glenn was a big part of that.

He has clearly been playing with an injury this season for most of the season, and was rushed back not fully fit as our defence crumbled without him most noteably vs the pigs.  It is incredibly harsh to judge him 'past it' on the basis of playing essentially half fit as we were so desperate for some sort of defensive leadership back there.

Hopefully he can use the ban time to get a bit fitter and be back to his best.

For me, two tackles that on any given day could be a yellow card, but in a derby you hope are allowed to go.

Clumsy at worst, and in the context of derby matches across the country - including ours - Loovens' has got to be one of the softer ones you could ever find. 

The second one for me is a very soft yellow, so not a sending off. Can understand why it was given as the referee was in a poor position to see a challenge was not made, Loovens stumbled having pulled out of the intended challenge. Thought the referee was unduly generous to them all evening, so not surprised he was quick to get the cards out. 

That said, Loovens should have known better and as we have seen time and again, his lack of pace cause problems, either by getting sent off or contributing to conceding goals. Shame, I like Loovens, think he has been a good player, but he is not up to the pace of this league.

1 hour ago, southportdc said:

Thought it was unlucky because his studs got caught as he was making the tackle, but as it is he slid in on a guy breaking away and took him out. Can't complain too much about the yellow for that. 

Exactly how I saw it. Thought it was a harsh booking on Friday but having watched it over a few times you are absolutely spot on, he gave the ref no choice.

5 hours ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

It looked like he was saying... one more chance.. one more chance. 

I think he was saying that's my first foul (after the initial yellow)

99 times out of a 100 a referee would give a final warning there. Wasn't dangerous or reckless and in a soft area of the pitch.

Im 100% certain he sent him off as Wilder gave the same referee alot of grief for the Bristol City game (when he red carded a Blunt). He saw it as a chance to even his slate.

Loovens took an unnecessary risk, in an area of the pitch where Donaldson wasn't a threat, when he was already on a yellow card.

Clumsy or not, he shouldn't be going to ground there.  Just stand him up FFS.  But no, daft challenge through the back of the player; not surprising to see him get a 2nd yellow card.

Then Loovens compounds this, giving a mouthful to the official who blew for what was an obvious foul, which guaranteed his sending off.  I was very disappointed by our captain, his performance left us down to 10 men with 30 minutes left and as a senior pro, he's supposed to be setting an example to our younger players.

I can live with older players getting slower and less effective towards the end of their career.  But when players are being paid a fortune to represent my club, I expect them to remain disciplined under pressure.  Call me harsh but Loovens let the rest of his team down with sh*t tackles and then mouths off at the ref in our biggest game of the season, live on national TV.  If a pig player behaved like that, he'd be a laughing stock on here.