Was it really a red card for Loovens?

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

He gave the ref a decision to make. At the time I thought in the interests of what was a derby he could’ve given a final warning as he was quite quick to book people in a heated game. 

Good job he missed the Wallace one.

Exactly what I thought. Second a tad harsh as he barely made a foul all game and you often see final warnings in that situation.

On the other hand he went to dive in and gave the ref a decision. Pure stupidity. Annoyingly to me he should have been a huge favourite to get to the all first too and somehow ended second best.

Rash challenge you'd expect from a youngster not a vastly experienced  old pro. It was donaldson for god sake not Messi, just needed to shadow that big lump into the corner he was going nowhere and wouldn't have had the skill to get around Loovens. Silly challenge and gave the referee no option but to book him. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

7 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

I personally thought the ref booked him without realising he already had. Then had to send him off.

Yeah, I thought there was a hint of that.

But an earlier yellow should not make a difference to the decision in hand.

Edited by OxonOwl

He blatantly called the ref something after the red didn’t he?

The sour look and raised eyebrows on the refs face said it all. 

I think the difference between a top ref and a middling one is that they talk to the players and explain their thinking. So in the context of a derby he either warns Loovens after the first yellow or warns him after that foul if he didn’t previously. It used to get me so wound up playing amateur football when a ref would take pleasure in dishing cards out without having a bit of a chat about it. It can diffuse things on both sides. That approach seemed to serve Clattenburg quite well.

Agree with you all that it was harsh as he seemed to trip over himself.

BUT as much as I dislike criticising our guys, he's basically not good enough, too slow, too many mistakes (my opinion).

We have a 28 man squad with an average age of 28.1 so I hope Jos builds for the future and phases out some of the older end.

First foul yeas a yellow. Second one not. Caught his studs in the turf and contact was accidental, so foul yes, but no card.

I've been saying for over 18 months, that Loovens lack of pace and poor passing are a liability and time for him to step aside well overdue.Not even treble training will help him I'm afraid.

First was mistimed, and the second was woefully mistimed.

Both challenges very typically get a yellow these days, so no surprises the ref reached for his pocket on each occasion.

Having said that, I would like to think that referees have scope for showing some leniency with that second yellow. It's not like Loovens had been serially fouling their players, and it is a derby game too. It's fortunate that the game wasn't entirely spoiled by the sending off.