Was it really a red card for Loovens?

I thought it was harsh. He stubbed his boot into the ground and was clumsy, that's all. It was not an opportunity to score, so the referee could've applied a bit of common sense. If anything though, it may be a good thing if Jos sees his best days are behind him. Need some real quality with better timing and pace than Loovens if we are to challenge for automatic next season.

7 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

First foul yeas a yellow. Second one not. Caught his studs in the turf and contact was accidental, so foul yes, but no card.

I've been saying for over 18 months, that Loovens lack of pace and poor passing are a liability and time for him to step aside well overdue.Not even treble training will help him I'm afraid.

Ditto my friend

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, OxonOwl said:

Yeah, I thought there was a hint of that.

But an earlier yellow should not make a difference to the decision in hand.

It shouldn't, but these refs always operate like that. A foul on a yellow can be excused sometimes. 

First tackle was a yellow, second one for me no but could have gone either way. Think it was pointed out it was unnecessary getting that close to defender so not smart play. Our lack of pace/mobility in centre halves will always present problems in playing 3 at back and bookings will be a problem. Big issue from this is we are now short of one more player for next 2 games.

First was a yellow. 2nd one looked worse in real time than it was on the replays, but Glenn had had a few other fouls already and so it think there was an element of "enoughs enough". fingers crossed it forces us into action in the transfer market and we pull in a new center back.

8 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Whether it was a booking or not

A player of Glen's experience shouldn't be going to ground in that situation, regardless of whether he's already been booked or not

Schoolboy defending

Got to agree. Unfortunately he's made a lot of unforced errors over the last couple if seasons that have or have nearly cost us. Strange one really, the slowing down is only to be expected but with his level of experience you would expect errors like this to be fewer

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

He gave the ref a decision to make. At the time I thought in the interests of what was a derby he could’ve given a final warning as he was quite quick to book people in a heated game. 

Good job he missed the Wallace one.

Very true. Although it took Fleck 4 days to react and go down, had he gone down immediately perhaps he'd have taken notice....at first glance it looked like a blatant dive. 

Loovens is a season pro but the last 12 months he has look more and more suspect.

The first change was a yellow card, the second from the refs angle looked it, yes he trip but why was he diving in, Donaldson had no where to go, no one in the box, a season defender should stand his ground and wait for the striker to try to beat him.

For me Loovens has cost us too often now he is out for 2 games, after his last red card. I would use Tuesday as a chance to Thorniley or O'Grady a start to see what the back up is.

Does anyone know when Van Aken will be back, it was only meant to have been a dead leg and we haven't seen him for 3 weeks. 

6 hours ago, Ballmeist said:

Complete stupidity for both fouls. Both were yellow cards, you just can’t go to ground these days unless you win the ball without touching the man. 

People have been saying that Loovens legs have gone (which they have) but it was his decision making the infuriated me on Friday. He didn’t need to slide in for either tackle, the United players were right by the touch line and a fair distance from goal. Should have moved him on and replaced him in the summer, it’s an absolute must that we do so this summer. 

He didn't touch the man and Donaldson dived. If it wasn't a foul it wasn't a foul irrespective of whether he went to ground or not. The fact is the ref made a mistake but it was an easy mistake to make but it doesn't make a non foul a foul because the ref made a mistake.

I work with a current FA refs assessor, he came to talk to me about it this morning as he knows I'm a Wednesday fan, he's good friends with Fridays ref and said he spoke to him last night. 

He thought it wasn't a second yellow but could understand why it was given. Also said Wallace should've been red carded but the ref told him he didn't have a clear view and didn't send him off because it would've been guess work. 

He also told me the ref had a falling out with wilder after the game :laugh: