Sibon ex player but Owls never forgotten

Will always remember his sending off at Huddersfield...it was the highlight of a 0-0 draw. Last few minutes & he got his marching orders. He pulled off the slowest walk to the touchline ever & the Hudds fans were going crazy. Just before he got to the touchline he sat down on the pitch & started unpacking his boots. The place almost exploded. A bit of a mercenary as were a few others at the time, but a genuine talent too & a hero to all Owls fans that day

5 hours ago, MaliceInBlunderland said:

Seem to recall him in a pre season interview once saying something about it being the best group of players he'd ever worked with, and he couldn't see anyone beating us.

That was the beginning of our last season in the Prem. :duntmatter:

He did say this but was in championship, we were still crap like lol 

2 hours ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

I was answering your question as to if a player has ever divided the fan base as much...

Basically any tall player who can look a bit awkward at times will get pelters from certain sections of the fanbase.

Kim Olsen? Nah he didn't divide the fan base everyone thought he was cr@p

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Jay Bothroyd

Leon Knight 

Francis Jeffers

Gilles De Bilde

Patrick Blondeau

Jon Bostock

Tony Crane 

Owen Morrison

Rodri

Danny Maddix

Nejc Peknic

Daniel Jones

Lewis McGugan

Maddix?  I'm with you on most of the list and Danny was a limited footballer but I can't remember any attitude problems with him?

18 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Maddix?  I'm with you on most of the list and Danny was a limited footballer but I can't remember any attitude problems with him?

You might be right but I have a memory of him raising his game for a few weeks a couple of times when his contract was due for renewal then as soon as he had signed up he returned to making Ashley Westwood look good. 

Just now, BIG D said:

No I didn’t. 

No you didn't, fair enough, that was a misquote from me.

You did however state he was shi*e and there wouldn't be many with less professionalism. I named over a dozen just since the late 90's and there would be a fair few more if I looked back through the players properly. I left Darryl Powell out who was abysmal in attitude and ability during his time with us.

Also is he was sow bad and unprofessional how come he was top scorer for 3 seasons despite leaving halfway through the last one and when he did leave why did we drop like a stone when we had got this poor player who was a bad influence off our books?

1 hour ago, Watson said:

Sounds good to me....  But will they sweat and give 100% and run around like headless chickens like real footballers do?

Exactly, wouldn't we all much rather watch Shane Long over Dimitar Berbatov as a centre forward. 

We all fell in love with football due to strikers who close down a full back well.  Who wants to see something like this instead?  He's not even sweating!

• Like 1

I think we signed Sibon and De Bilde on the same day and in typical Wednesday fashion a couple of days before the season started so they didn’t get much of a pre-season.

His 1st season was poor but after that I though he was our best player......although it could be argued he was earning £20,000 a week and milked his contract to the end when we massively couldn’t afford it after relegation.

I remember there were 3 or 4 lads who sat at the front of the north stand in orange boilers suits and what looked like orange hard hats in tribute to him.

I also remember Birmingham away when at HT Gerald sets off walking very very slowly off the pitch but towards the wrong corner of the ground for the tunnel. Wednesday fans were shouting and pointing but he was that laid back it took him ages to realise and then shuffle on in the right direction.

I think this was the same game Di Piedi scored the winner in the 90th minute after we’d been massively outplayed and then celebrated by hanging his shirt on the corner flag and waving it above his head!!!!

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Jay Bothroyd

Leon Knight 

Francis Jeffers

Gilles De Bilde

Patrick Blondeau

Jon Bostock

Tony Crane 

Owen Morrison

Rodri

Danny Maddix

Nejc Peknic

Daniel Jones

Lewis McGugan

I'd genuinely forgotten all about Pecnik, what was so bad about his attitude? 

Rodri and Bothroyd were particularly awful, the loan strikers we brought in seemed cursed that season. Said a lot when we ended up relying on Leroy Lita to dig us out of trouble.

9 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

He was top scorer and player of the season for the two years following our relegation, so hardly can be lumped into the same category as those others who never really contributed anything.

As a young teenager I adored watching him play.

Ditto. We must be about the same age based on your comment,  I'm 30 now. 

Edited by ReginaldD

Was the best player in a terrible side when we were relegated.

terrible player in premier league which is where we signed him to play.

by no means a Wednesday legend but at least he’s still sticking up for us in the derby.

16 hours ago, BIG D said:

Please do.

I remember an interview with Chris Turner (I think) where he said 'I told him do some weights and he replied that he was a millionaire and didn't need to'.

So crack on mate, let's have some names. 

Andy Pearce - laughed after missing an important penalty in the cup.

De Bilde - a genuine prat who cared more about getting his dog in the country than the team.

Di Canio - though a great player threw a tantrum when the club didn't support his after he assaulted an official and never played for us again.

Matias - take his money but never looks bothered.

Brad Jones - Possible the worse Goal keeper in the history of the game concede 2 goals a game when on loan with us

Dan Petrescu - came off after some one tackled him while playing for the team - the manager had to send him back on.

I can go on but the list would last a long time, we have had a lot of players here for the pay day or who did not care about us, Sibon is not one of them. We bought him as a striker which was the wrong position he was ahead of his time as he is was is now called an attacking midfielder. The link man from the midfield to the front two. He was around now he would be going for £15m+.

Guest Bulgaria

this tread sums him up

a total marmite player, 50% liked him 50% didnt.

I thought he was a shining light in a terrible period, but yes he was so frustrating.

That goal at Derby though.. just wow. It would still be rising if the net had not stopped it!!