Wildsmith

On 24/12/2017 at 13:23, McRightSide said:

How many points does he need to cost us before we get a proper back up for Westwood and send him out on loan?

Awful howler...again

And yet made two excellent reflex saves near the end ....if you were still there

21 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Let’s see how many of the people who were so delighted to tag me after his great performance at the Lane wish to tag me now

For the record my view is the same. 

Error rate is too high and needs to be playing every week to try and work on some of these issues.

Definitely has some technical deficiencies that need sorting.

I don’t think we can afford that gamble if we have a fully fit Westwood

"For the record my view is the same."

Is this the same view where you said Wildsmith 'costs us points every game', how's that going for you? By my reckoning he's cocked up today and against Middlesborough (where he had also saved a penalty). 2 mistakes in 14 league matches this season. 

Add to that the fact you blamed Wildsmith for a goal against Manchester City, a team who has never played against

I almost admire your rudderless tirade. 

Back to reality for a moment (something absent from your posts), Wildsmith made grade A wee wee tail up today, the first goal was also very questionable (although Federico apologised to him which makes me think there was a shout from Wildsmith). Other than that he has been excellent and one of the real positives from an absolutely horrendous season. It says it all when Wildsmith makes a huge mistake today and nobody is talking about it on the way back from the game, he is literally the least of our problems right now. 

That said Westwood would come back in when fully fit for me, I'd love to see Wildsmiith loaned out to a club to get more valuable experience, he has a big future.

Edited by Owls2k

15 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Pretty poor form re-raising this after today just to give yourself a pat on the back at the expense of our keepers errors.

Unless of course you have been modest and honest enough to give him the praise he deserves for his recent performances prior to today?

No back patting here, just merely a message to those who gave me pelters.

I’ve given him plenty of praise. He’s been great for the last few games, but he has to eradicate this habit of dropping a clanger every 4 or 5 games

On 27/12/2017 at 17:21, McRightSide said:

I’m advocating for him to go out on loan and be a number 1 somewhere.

Apparently that’s a negative agenda trying to scapegoat him for Carlos’ performance as manager

No, that's a fair view which many would share once our No 1 was fit. 

It's your other fictitious claims about his performances and general bizarre tone which draw more attention than that view.. 

Just now, McRightSide said:

I’ve given him plenty of praise. He’s been great for the last few games, but he has to eradicate this habit of dropping a clanger every 4 or 5 games

Very pleased you've gone from "costs us points every game" to the above. 

We're getting somewhere :stuwinky:

Young keepers make mistakes and need a consistent run of first team appearances to iron them out - surely there’s nobody who disagrees with that? Remember that David De Gea is the best keeper in England right now, but in his first season with Man United he looked dreadful. 

The only disagreement is whether we can afford the risk of giving him the necessary time in the team, and there’s not a lot wrong with arguing that Westwood needs to come straight back in given our precarious position. But for the moment we’ve no choice as Westwood is injured, so getting on Wildsmith’s back is totally counter-productive. If he was a 35-year old journeyman in search of a pay day I’d understand the antipathy. But Wildsmith is supposed to be our long-term future in net, so let’s give him the chance to turn into that eh?

10 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

No back patting here, just merely a message to those who gave me pelters.

Have you? I presume there are plenty of posts to this effect then given that you have managed to bring this back to the fore as soon as he makes a mistake.

I would rather have Westwood in goal and have always said this but Wildsmith is a good 2nd choice. Also, I reckon Westwood has probably conceded a goal as a result of his own mistakes every 5 games or so that he has played in this season, he has not been at his best.

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

"For the record my view is the same."

Is this the same view where you said Wildsmith 'costs us points every game', how's that going for you? By my reckoning he's cocked up today and against Middlesborough (where he had also saved a penalty). 2 mistakes in 14 league matches this season. 

Add to that the fact you blamed Wildsmith for a goal against Manchester City, a team who has never played against

I almost admire your rudderless tirade. 

Back to reality for a moment (something absent from your posts), Wildsmith made grade A wee wee tail up today, the first goal was also very questionable (although Federico apologised to him which makes me think there was a shout from Wildsmith). Other than that he has been excellent and one of the real positives from an absolutely horrendous season. It says it all when Wildsmith makes a huge mistake today and nobody is talking about it on the way back from the game, he is literally the least of our problems right now. 

That said Westwood would come back in when fully fit for me, I'd love to see Wildsmiith loaned out to a club to get more valuable experience, he has a big future.

Who was Negrado playing for then?

14 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Young keepers make mistakes and need a consistent run of first team appearances to iron them out - surely there’s nobody who disagrees with that? Remember that David De Gea is the best keeper in England right now, but in his first season with Man United he looked dreadful. 

The only disagreement is whether we can afford the risk of giving him the necessary time in the team, and there’s not a lot wrong with arguing that Westwood needs to come straight back in given our precarious position. But for the moment we’ve no choice as Westwood is injured, so getting on Wildsmith’s back is totally counter-productive. If he was a 35-year old journeyman in search of a pay day I’d understand the antipathy. But Wildsmith is supposed to be our long-term future in net, so let’s give him the chance to turn into that eh?

Good post.

I keep saying it but Wildsmith would benefit from a season-long loan where he can really start to iron out the minutiae of his trade.

It's not to bad him making his mistakes in our first team currently - and we all have to accept the inconsistency and erratic form that youth brings - but if we were chasing promotion then it would maybe be critical

Thats why reliability in a keeper is key - and rarely do young keepers give that

Ideally we'd have Dawson on the bench and JW on loan - then when Joe has earned his wings he comes back as bench keeper pushing for number 1 - and Dawson goes on loan

In 2-3 years time we could be in a really envious position regarding our keepers - but development is never a smooth linear upward path

14 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Have you? I presume there are plenty of posts to this effect then given that you have managed to bring this back to the fore as soon as he makes a mistake.

I would rather have Westwood in goal and have always said this but Wildsmith is a good 2nd choice. Also, I reckon Westwood has probably conceded a goal as a result of his own mistakes every 5 games or so that he has played in this season, he has not been at his best.

Yep. I have.

And he fully deserved to be POTM

22 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Ive been advocating for him to go on loan for about 2 years.

Like it or not we are in a relegation battle and it’s a huge risk to have a rookie keeper

45 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Let’s see how many of the people who were so delighted to tag me after his great performance at the Lane wish to tag me now

For the record my view is the same. 

Error rate is too high and needs to be playing every week to try and work on some of these issues.

Definitely has some technical deficiencies that need sorting.

I don’t think we can afford that gamble if we have a fully fit Westwood

He is a very young lad and a keeper. Any mistakes he makes will more than likely result in a goal, problems with been a keeper. 

We need to remeber his is only 22. I can remember some danish keeper for Man Utd dropping an absolute howler in front of the Kop about twenty years ago. He turned out okay. 

Joe is playing in front of large crowds and the team is under great pressure at the minute, so he is bound to get nervous. Let’s not shoot him for dropping a clanger. 

Westwood is probably our official number one but Wildsmith shouldn’t be dropped. 

4 minutes ago, scram said:

Good post.

I keep saying it but Wildsmith would benefit from a season-long loan where he can really start to iron out the minutiae of his trade.

It's not to bad him making his mistakes in our first team currently - and we all have to accept the inconsistency and erratic form that youth brings - but if we were chasing promotion then it would maybe be critical

Thats why reliability in a keeper is key - and rarely do young keepers give that

Ideally we'd have Dawson on the bench and JW on loan - then when Joe has earned his wings he comes back as bench keeper pushing for number 1 - and Dawson goes on loan

In 2-3 years time we could be in a really envious position regarding our keepers - but development is never a smooth linear upward path

I agree, but I think you’re also disregarding the possibility of a relegation scrap.

For me, that makes those errors as critical as in a promotion chasing team. 

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

If you can’t work it out you need to extend your education

I can't tell if you mean some obscure Manchester City player called Negrado

Or the Middlesbrough player Negredo

I'm assuming the latter but I'm getting confused because you're saying that Wildsmith played against Man City... but he didn't. So I'm really quite lost. 

1 minute ago, Pod9 said:

He is a very young lad and a keeper. Any mistakes he makes will more than likely result in a goal, problems with been a keeper. 

We need to remeber his is only 22. I can remember some danish keeper for Man Utd dropping an absolute howler in front of the Kop about twenty years ago. He turned out okay. 

Joe is playing in front of large crowds and the team is under great pressure at the minute, so he is bound to get nervous. Let’s not shoot him for dropping a clanger. 

Westwood is probably our official number one but Wildsmith shouldn’t be dropped. 

Your post is fair. But in my mind it’s bonkers that we have a keeper with such great potential who is 22 and hasn’t played a full season yet

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I can't tell if you mean some obscure Manchester City player called Negrado

Or the Middlesbrough player Negredo

I'm assuming the latter but I'm getting confused because you're saying that Wildsmith played against Man City... but he didn't. So I'm really quite lost. 

Have a look in your textbooks and figure it out then

You’re wrong btw

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38550102

Edit - actually I’m wrong haha.

my bad

Edited by McRightSide