Wildsmith

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I can't tell if you mean some obscure Manchester City player called Negrado

Or the Middlesbrough player Negredo

I'm assuming the latter but I'm getting confused because you're saying that Wildsmith played against Man City... but he didn't. So I'm really quite lost. 

Negredo used to play for Man City. When Wildsmith came up against him however, it was last season when he was on loan at Boro. Hope this resolves the confusion.

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I agree, but I think you’re also disregarding the possibility of a relegation scrap.

For me, that makes those errors as critical as in a promotion chasing team. 

I am dismissing the possibility of relegation because i don't believe for one minute it will happen - it's my opinion and being discussed ad nauseum so i don't really wanna derail this thread too

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Have a look in your textbooks and figure it out then

You’re wrong btw

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38550102

Edit - actually I’m wrong haha.

my bad

I know lol

Important thing is you figured it out with my sarcasmometer only at 75%. To be honest I'm too f*cked off after today to go any higher and actually enjoy it. Beer time. 

Edited by StudentOwl

1 minute ago, scram said:

I am dismissing the possibility of relegation because i don't believe for one minute it will happen - it's my opinion and being discussed ad nauseum so i don't really wanna derail this thread too

I wish I could be that confident, but our results against the crap teams - and no return in sight for our best players - concerns me hugely 

2 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Negredo used to play for Man City. When Wildsmith came up against him however, it was last season when he was on loan at Boro. Hope this resolves the confusion.

As you see I’m happy to admit when I’m wrong

Doesnt change the error though.

You know what worries me most? It’s the same kind of errors

Your post is fair. But in my mind it’s bonkers that we have a keeper with such great potential who is 22 and hasn’t played a full season yet

If we are looking short term, KW should play but I prefer to look more long term. This season is a write off so why not let JW gain valuable experience and see how he does. 

Just look at Pickford for Sunderland. Their Number 1 got injured and young lad steps in. One year later goes to Everton for 30m. 

I agree with the posts about a loan btw. We’ve got Wildsmith locked down on a long-term contract so there’s no drawback that we’d just be putting him in the shop window for clubs to sign him as a free agent, as is the danger with players like Sean Clare and George Hirst.

I reckon Wildsmith’s probably shown enough to get a starting gig at a lower-end championship side next season (yes, I’m aware that could well be us...). I remember Jordan Pickford benefitted massively from a season out at Preston and hopefully we could get the same for Wildsmith, with Westwood staying as no. 1 for another year and Dawson as back up. If there are no championship takers then league one clubs would jump at the chance to get him for a year. 

As you see I’m happy to admit when I’m wrong

Doesnt change the error though.

You know what worries me most? It’s the same kind of errors

It was a very bad error from him in a very bad performance from us, although I must say I was at that game and I remember thinking that Pudil had rather sold him down the river with his backpass. The defensive errors today were unacceptable and in my opinion it’s not enough to dismiss them as accidents and move on - Klopp keeps trying to do that at Liverpool but it’s very clear that their defence is a bomb scare all too often. Wildsmith’s goalkeeping errors are unfortunate and demoralising, but they are pretty much part and parcel of a young keeper’s development. I agree that we can’t really afford his growing pains at present, but we don’t have a great deal of choice in the matter right now as it would be just the same with Dawson. 

• Like 1

Although he has yes made some almighty clangers .. you can not blame him too much .. its a learning curve and all keepers have this. Some of the best keepers on the planet drop some almighty clangers that can cost their team ..

heck we didn't do much outfield to help support him did we.

He needs game time, he's getting that at the minute and can only improve his game (which yes, there are certainly areas that he can improve on thats for sure)

Guest Theboylangers
4 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

It was a very bad error from him in a very bad performance from us, although I must say I was at that game and I remember thinking that Pudil had rather sold him down the river with his backpass. The defensive errors today were unacceptable and in my opinion it’s not enough to dismiss them as accidents and move on - Klopp keeps trying to do that at Liverpool but it’s very clear that their defence is a bomb scare all too often. Wildsmith’s goalkeeping errors are unfortunate and demoralising, but they are pretty much part and parcel of a young keeper’s development. I agree that we can’t really afford his growing pains at present, but we don’t have a great deal of choice in the matter right now as it would be just the same with Dawson. 

This 100%. All keepers make mistakes. 

Maybe someone should have closed their player down instead of letting them get into a shooting position unchallenged. 

Guest RocketOwl

He's made as many errors as Westwood this season yet everyone was ready to bin Westwood earlier in the week.

Im still concerned about Wildsmith  agility. 

4 minutes ago, Theboylangers said:

This 100%. All keepers make mistakes. 

Maybe someone should have closed their player down instead of letting them get into a shooting position unchallenged. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think I’m right in saying that Brum’s second goal came about from Jota getting the ball after we gave it away very cheaply? Regardless, Jota had a ridiculously wide path to shoot into.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

Guest Theboylangers
3 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think I’m right in saying that Brum’s second goal came about from Jota getting the ball after we gave it away very cheaply? Regardless, Jota had a ridiculously wide path to shoot into.

You are correct. We gave the ball away, it got away from Reach. 

On 24/12/2017 at 13:23, McRightSide said:

How many points does he need to cost us before we get a proper back up for Westwood and send him out on loan?

Awful howler...again

He’s been doing really well had an off day that’s all you got February player of the month maybe we jinxed him 

13 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

He's made as many errors as Westwood this season yet everyone was ready to bin Westwood earlier in the week.

Im still concerned about Wildsmith  agility. 

that save at the lane was as agile as they come. among others.

anyone remember our first (maybe 2nd) home game back in the champ? Brum at home, midweek.

Rhodri (from Barcelona) scored the winner for us, Huge error for the goal from a young Jack Butland, he was being talked up at the time too. look at him now and he's an excellent keeper. JW will get there but will make mistakes along the way.

Back the lad. 

Guest RocketOwl
18 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

that save at the lane was as agile as they come. among others.

anyone remember our first (maybe 2nd) home game back in the champ? Brum at home, midweek.

Rhodri (from Barcelona) scored the winner for us, Huge error for the goal from a young Jack Butland, he was being talked up at the time too. look at him now and he's an excellent keeper. JW will get there but will make mistakes along the way.

Back the lad. 

Straight down middle at lane. His reflexes are ok but anything in corners I worry.

Butland prone to errors.