Carlos "Derby was an important game"

Carlos Carvalhal Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday head coach Carlos Carvalhal has spoken about where he thinks the season turned, pointing to the performance against Derby County as the moment the Owls started to turn it on.

“Derby was an important game,”

“We played with 10 players but we were brave. We played with quality and the performance gave us confidence for the future. “We found our way against Derby and have performed well since that game.

“We didn’t achieve the win against Barnsley but deserved to win. I think we are in a good way.”

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, brian joicey said:

the blunts was the turning point for me ..... when carlos lost my trust completely and forever ! completely unforgiveable ... and the subsequent reaction (lack of) and drivel that was spoken was a complete and utter embarrassment ! 

I find this reaction a bit strange really.

Not the anger about the defeat, we all hated that,  but the total blame being aimed at the manager without one mention of the performance of the players.

Our two centre halfs gave two of  the worst performances I can ever  remember from Wednesday defenders . Would everybody had played them before the game, yes . Could Carlos have expected Tom Lees as his captain to do better , absolutely. Could Carlos do anything about the way Tom Lees played, nothing at all.

Same in midfield. Most people would have played it but all 4 were very poor first half. Do I read posts on here slagging off Bannan for disappearing first half  . No I don't.

What I found absolutely embarrassing that day was the absolute total lack of bottle shown by experienced professional footballers who let us down. Yes the manager has to answer for some of it but how the players continue to escape blame is beyond me.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Not the anger about the defeat, we all hated that,  but the total blame being aimed at the manager without one mention of the performance of the players.

Our two centre halfs gave two of  the worst performances I can ever  remember from Wednesday defenders . Would everybody had played them before the game, yes . Could Carlos have expected Tom Lees as his captain to do better , absolutely. Could Carlos do anything about the way Tom Lees played, nothing at all.

Same in midfield. Most people would have played it but all 4 were very poor first half. Do I read posts on here slagging off Bannan for disappearing first half  . No I don't.

What I found absolutely embarrassing that day was the absolute total lack of bottle shown by experienced professional footballers who let us down. Yes the manager has to answer for some of it but how the players continue to escape blame is beyond me.

Bang on the money

46 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

MOTIVATION (who said it was 'just another game/3pts? clue; it wasn't a player) , TACTICS (lightweight in midfield both in numbers and strength when everybody knows how they setup/play), TEMPO (who sets us up to play at walking pace for the  1st half in most of our matches?)

while on the subject of LEES,who's idea was it to play a novice at the side of him in such a big match? van aken looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights... this most certainly affected LEES' performance. while on the subject wasn't westwood playing with an injury (?) if so,why ? 

1 hour ago, oldishowl said:

Pretty much this:

That game was the worst performance I have seen since 2015.

Absolutely uninspired by the players.

Only way Carlos could have improved on that was to find a kit and sub himself on out there.

27 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

MOTIVATION (who said it was 'just another game/3pts? clue; it wasn't a player) , TACTICS (lightweight in midfield both in numbers and strength when everybody knows how they setup/play), TEMPO (who sets us up to play at walking pace for the  1st half in most of our matches?)

while on the subject of LEES,who's idea was it to play a novice at the side of him in such a big match? van aken looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights... this most certainly affected LEES' performance. while on the subject wasn't westwood playing with an injury (?) if so,why ? 

Who else would have played at CB?

21 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

pudil, who was praised by CC for his performances in that position earlier

The same Pudil everyone was horrified to see start at CB at the start of the season...

Awful suggestion mate. And if Pudil has started over Van Aken and had lost you’d have been whinging that he started a left back over a CB that we’d spent 4 million on. 

He’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t with some of you. Quite frankly, it’s boring to read