Simon Coleman

9 minutes ago, sibon said:

Simon used to live up the road from me. I spent a lot of time trying to get him to join my cricket club as he was a handy player. I never persuaded him though. Shame, as he’s a really nice guy.

i saw him on the South Stand a few games ago with a group of suits. I presumed that he was doing some hospitality work.

Yes SIBON all true. He signed my pint pot.

Trevor Francis ruined Wednesday? Well for me he's well down the list of people culpable for our decline Richards being top of it 

trevor only did well with big rons team? Well big Ron got big rons team relegated, great manager but still took a team with Sheridan,Hirst,palmer,Nilsson and several other good players down and Trevor brought in waddle, bright,warhurst,Bart Williams,walker and others who were superb players for us and helped us play some of the best football I've seen at hillsborough

yes he made mistakes woods being one he had lots of bad luck no one could have predicted the previously excellent sinton would turn out as it did and the injuries were unbelievable 

overall trev was a good manager who would have been foolish not to use the bulk of the squad he inherited and improved it we've definitely had far more complicant managers in our downfall 

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

It's an odd one. I was more upset by his departure at that time than almost anything else in my life. Which is stupid of course. But that's how football gets you isn't it. 

giphy.gif

But it's because we were on the cusp isn't it? We knew we were building. There was was a feeling. A sensation. 

We knew before we even went to Wembley that we'd win. I knew it before I got on the bus. Many others have said the same. The stars weeder aligned. It wasn't even the best performance of the season. But we knew. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

We were going up too. And not just to make the numbers up. We knew we we'd be going up to challenge, not make up the numbers. 

The premier League was in the process of being formed for the following season after our return  and like the idea or not we needed to be at the top table. 

The world was going to change forever and we'd timed one of our peaks perfectly and had in charge one of the best managers in the business who was already putting together a squad of great players. 

A few more additions  and we could take on all comers.

That's why the tears, from me, a grown man. 

We knew. We knew. 

And we knew he'd go. I've thought about this over the years and I think the man was genuinely torn.  Because he must have known something special was happening. 

Any other club... he wouldn't have gone. I don't think.  

I think of the position he was in. His boyhood club, Villa. 

He was 53 . He'd turned down the chance to go there twice before. 

When would the chance come again? 

I imagine if it was me, at Villa and Wednesday came calling. Would I be able to resist? I don't think I could. The draw would be too much.

1445971064674_lc_galleryImage_SHEFFIELD_

I think it's one of the hardest decisions he'll have ever have had to have made. 

He shoulders it for it being the start of the evening out of our upward trajectory.  But I can't blame him for what happened after. 

Oh how I hoped Trevor would come in and do well. We'd heard horror stories about his time at QPR but he must have learnt after being in that dressing room we had. 

It needed just tickling along.  Maybe another striker in the next bracket. 

A club record £1.2m on a 32 year old keeper in Woods.

A signing of intention true enough.  But a goalkeeper?  Really? When we had Turner and Pressman? Alarm bells from day one from me I'm afraid.  

I loved the football we played under Trevor. It was quicker and more direct than under Ron...but still proper football. 

That night at Blackburn....will live long. 

But there was a naivety to it too.  The Blunts games in th3 first season. A couple of absolute hammerings .  The 6-1 a couple of 7-1's and 2s. They wouldn't have happened under Ron. There's few things so sure in my mind. 

I know some of the old gaurd needed moving on. But the way that the likes of Shirtliff and Harkes were binned off. 

Letting people know they're leaving by telling them not to sit on the team photo? No. Not for me.

Pearson - replaced with Andy Pearce. Andy bloody Pearce! 

"Past his best Pearson." Yeah.... Three  years down the line Pearson has led Middlesbrough to promotion and 3 domestic cup finals.

So much for past it.

719d3ee7933e24331c37d156fffb4c16.jpg

Andy Pearce meanwhile after having chumps sing his name as some cult hero because he scored against the pigs couldn't get a game for Wimbledon and ended up in the Isthmian league in the same time span.

He gave us Waddle. For which I will always be grateful. 

He also gave us Pearce and Coleman.  

Letting Palmer go after asking him to play on the wing. 

The whole way that Phil King was treated and blamed for the Arsenal hammering.  

Walker was a great signing.  Asking Carlton Palmer to play on the wing so Chris Bart Williams could play centre midfield ...leading to the player leaving. Barmy.

Pleat I never took to. He made some awful ricks. 

But the writing was on the wall for us as soon as Ron went.

Those two cup finals. Would we really have lost both? 

Not a chance.  I like Trevor . But as as manager...no... too many gaffes. Simple gaffes. It just needed tickling along with some sensible additions....slow movement of the older lads and a bit of nous.

Worthing and King eased out. Nolan the most one footed left back I've seen. And it was his right foot!

Sibton.  Nearly £3m. Three million!

I'd sent a scout report not 3 month earlier about Trevor Sinclair at Blackpool.  

SINCLAIR.jpg

But no. If you'd had had an intentional cap, you'd be welcome at Wembley. I think that's what it was. Proving we could beat Arsenal at something. Anything.  Even if it was the signing of Sibton. 

Proofs in the pudding. Look where all these players when post Wednesday....down, down, down. And quickly.

We went hell for leather like a man woth no arms.

It's not about being a genius.  It's not about throwing the checkbook open. 

It's just about knowing how to deal with men. Man management. 

And I'll tell you as your out other thing chaps.....my phones dying. .wish I had a computer....  because I could go all night....and I haven't even started properly on Pleat yet!

this is brilliant Snoots. I truly believe Ron would have brought us a title and the FA cup..... 

• Like 1

That would never happened with Ron as the manager, I personally think its a bit harsh given the achevements Francis made in his first few years, It was only when he had to try and make wholesale squad replacements with no money he came unstuck. That was more down to Dave Richards, Who then went on to give Pleat the charterhouse money to spunk away on poo .

Simon Coleman was out of his depth at Wednesday. Think he played a chunk of his career at Mansfield which was more his level.

I don't think you can blame one individual or event on Wednesday decline. Mistake made by Francis, Pleat, Wilson all contributed but probably overall Dave Richards had to share most of the blame as he was in charge of hiring and firing at the time.

Coleman was a rubbish but Francis did make some excellent signings, Waddle, Bright, Walker, Whittingham and many more, he did make the odd mistake in transfer market like signing Coleman but remember he was a young manager who had just finished playing himself.

His decision to move Warhurst from back to striker was a masterstroke, he'll always be remembered as a great manager for me, I still think it was embarrassing when kop was chanting for his head after finishing mid table in Premier league.

On 12/11/2017 at 11:53, Lord Snooty said:

Clock ticking till first "Middle of Prem , two cup finals,  I'll take that sort of ruin" post

Try a third place finish as well. He signed Chris Waddle. Hardly ruined Sheffield Wednesday did he... 

Might have lost the plot towards the end of his tenure but let’s not re wrote history and say he ruined us. 

See Dave Richards and David Pleat for that... 

7 minutes ago, ramone said:

Try a third place finish as well. He signed Chris Waddle. Hardly ruined Sheffield Wednesday did he... 

Might have lost the plot towards the end of his tenure but let’s not re wrote history and say he ruined us. 

See Dave Richards and David Pleat for that... 

Never said he ruined us.

That was Neil.

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Never said he ruined us.

That was Neil.

I know you didn't and I read your excellent post (the long one) afterwards which was bang on the money. 

I read the post i replied to and thought you were stating that Francis was no good as you said 'wait for the 2 cup finals etc....' remark. It implied to me that you agreed with him in some way. 

9 minutes ago, ramone said:

I know you didn't and I read your excellent post (the long one) afterwards which was bang on the money. 

I read the post i replied to and thought you were stating that Francis was no good as you said 'wait for the 2 cup finals etc....' remark. It implied to me that you agreed with him in some way. 

Francis did a lot of good things. Waddle, Walker, etc. 

I just think it was too much too soon, and that on the upwards trajectory we were on a more experienced hand at the tiller might have taken us to the next level.

Edited by Lord Snooty