Simon Coleman

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Francis did a lot of good things. Waddle, Walker, etc. 

I just think it was too much too soon, and that on the upwards trajectory we were on a more experienced hand at the tiller might have taken us ro the next level.

I could understand the 'we were on an upwards trajectory' argument had we gone on to do the good things all in 1 season. In fairness, if memory serves me right (its not the and i have tendancy to muddle things up):

Season 1 - 3rd place

Season 2 - 2 cup finals

Season 3 - 7th in Prem

I agree completely that, had Big Ron stayed, we'd have been better off int he long run but as we've both said, I dont think i'd have sung Walking in a Waddle Wonderland etc... 

Could you have seen Tricky Trev working with Ron? That would have been alright wouldn't it. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Collymore for £2 million....Stan later went to Liverpool for £12 million and was brilliant for a few years before he went daft.

As an aside Steve Nicol once told me that Stan Collymore had all the ingredients to be the best player he'd ever played with. Which given some of the sides Nicol had been in said said a lot.

A wasted talent really. 

Would have been excellent for us at that time though. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

5 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Apart from Cantona, Francis gaffes include  Sinton and not signing Collymore for £2 million as Hirst's replacement.

Stan later went to Liverpool for £12 million and was brilliant for a few years before he went daft.

8.5 million... it was a British transfer record at the time. But if its a choice between the 2 I know which player i'd have in my side every day of the week.

Incidentally, didn'tt he score on his debut against us? 

Edited by ramone

Having read Wednesday: Through the Modern Era...my general impression is that from about 1993/1994 onwards we were only going one way.

Thankfully, the club was able to starve off the threat of relegation for several years, but eventually it inevitably caught us up.

We were poorly run outfit and pretty much trying to compete in the topflight on a shoestring budget.

I'm assuming most on here have given it a read, but if not then I'd suggest doing so. Some interesting stuff in there.

34 minutes ago, ramone said:

I could understand the 'we were on an upwards trajectory' argument had we gone on to do the good things all in 1 season. In fairness, if memory serves me right (its not the and i have tendancy to muddle things up):

Season 1 - 3rd place

Season 2 - 2 cup finals

Season 3 - 7th in Prem

I agree completely that, had Big Ron stayed, we'd have been better off int he long run but as we've both said, I dont think i'd have sung Walking in a Waddle Wonderland etc... 

Could you have seen Tricky Trev working with Ron? That would have been alright wouldn't it. 

Oh quite, in the first couple of years with the momentum we had and the vast sums (for those days) that we were suddenly able to throw at it things carried on for a while. 

It was always going to be hard to carefully change the aging parts of the team and replace them. But I think he did it too quickly. 

He couldn't stand in the way of Anderson and Wilson leaving of course when Barnsley offered them the joint manager job.

Anderson%20(man),%20Viv.jpg

But they were a huge at Wednesday. Not just in terms of what they offered on the pitch (Wilson years ahead of the times in being a compact midfield player rather than an old fashioned winger- he'd be superb in today's game) and Viv a superb defender able to read the game and play the ball out from the back. 

But more importantly their loss in the dressing room.  Two huge carachters. With a wealth of top flight and International experience. 

It's hard to replace that. You can sign top players. But carachter is something else apart.

I look at Waddle,  even now though.  The people he's closest too are the players that were already here when he came. You add quality to quality it'll fit.  But quality of carachter as well as technique is vital.

The whole Warhurst getting the mump on about playing centre half and Palmer being sacrificed to the back 4. A more experienced manager I don't think would have allowed it to happen.

Bart-Williams a super little player,if slightly slow, was a quiet kid. Wilson a bloke with plenty to say for himself. 

He's little things make a difference. 

I'd like to think Tricky working under Ron might have worked.

But Trevor had been in that dressing room a long time. There are things you'd have expected him to pick up without tutelage. 

But he was his own man. The first £1m player, and there will be a certain amount of ego that goes with being one of the countries first millionaire players.

I don't think Trevor ruined us by any stretch. 

I just think he was a man with a golden opportunity in the right place at the right time,  chance of a century and he wasn't the man to take it.

I've said it before and always will.

So much of football isn't actually about football. 

On 11/12/2017 at 12:11, Lord Snooty said:

I like Trevor. I do. But I think it was too much too soon. And that their were some huge personalities in that dressing room and it was too much to handle. 

He brought some superb players. But also some dross. 

I always put it this way.

With £2m to spend Ron would probably buy two excellent £1m players. 

Trevor would spend £1.9m on a good one and £100k on a dreadful back up. 

Whilst I've never thought of it like that, I reckon you've nailed it there mi Lordship. TF did buy some right dross in amongst your Chris Waddles and Des Walkers

On 12/11/2017 at 11:53, cowl said:

We seemed to start signing players that were unlikely to ever amount to anything other than squad players, rather than looking at players with genuine potential to push and ultimately take over from an excellent but ageing first 11.

right.......bit like now then?

Trevor Francis was nowhere near the best or the worst manager Wednesday have had in my time.

Played some of best football I have ever seen us play and that was against the biggest clubs in the country at the time so must take credit for that surely.

But replaced aging team too quickly and man management skills were lacking when things started to go against him.

On 12/11/2017 at 12:41, theowlsman said:

Wasn’t Francis cutting his teeth in management for the firts time with us? There was bound to be a learning curve and we suffered as a consequence.

Should’ve gone for a more experienced manager.

He’d been at QPR and had been a disaster.

I was never for his appt - a good experienced manager would have squeezed another 10% out of that team and prepared us better for the cup finals imo.

Whilst I accept we lost them narrowly, at no point did I think we’d win any of those games - Graham was too canny and stifled us.

And after that he slowly weakened the side - quality was not like for like replaced, a process exacerbated by Pleat. (Carbone, Di Canio and Degryse exempt)

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:46, @owlstalk said:

Francis ruined Sheffield Wednesday

interesting how this gets a divided response ,very much remember in 94/95 fans arguing among themselves and coming to fights in that era similar to what it is now, remember many players also falling out with francis  ,Sheridan threw his  boot at him?or was that another player? after been subbed ,Gordon Watson was storming down tunnel and dragged back . 

17 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

I remember Francis signing Petrescu after the World Cup and then persisted with Atherton at left back.

I could never get my head around it - burgers when we had steak. 

Petrescu then went to Chelsea where he had a decent career. 

Petrescu was a right back.

He played 39 games in his one season with us, so not to bad a return with the league being 42 games.

Atherton was also a right back but was utilised in centre defence and later centre midfield.

23 minutes ago, Teflon Don said:

Petrescu was a right back.

He played 39 games in his one season with us, so not to bad a return with the league being 42 games.

Atherton was also a right back but was utilised in centre defence and later centre midfield.

Meant right back - my mistake..it’s been a long day and was going by memory rather than relying on the internet.

Nolan was on the left side 

Petrescu played over half the matches in his first season and then just a handful in his second before transferring to Chelsea.

Point being Francis was keen to use a journeyman rather than a World Cup player - We didn’t get the best out of him, whereas Chelsea did. 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl