Wildsmith

1 hour ago, BRADDO said:

Very impressed with him today. Calm, composed and his kicking is excellent 

Agreed, particularly on his distribution where he seemed to be able to drop it onto Fletche’sr head with virtually each Kick.

Edited by Reallondonowl
Forgot a letter

Not been his biggest fan in the past, with good reason too.

today he looked the however, great save for thier offside chance stood out, claimed the odd cross. Needs to get off his line quicker though and relieve pressure on the defence. 

Just to add. The average fan/footballer will see the positives he made (which I agree with). He kicking was excellent, most young keepers is have this. Also he's a very good shot stopper, but most keepers are at this level. It's just some of the basics he needs to improve on that will get missed by most as they don't stand out. Gets these right we will have a top keeper in the future.

Edited by jonesy87shef

2 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Needs to get off his line quicker though and relieve pressure on the defence. 

Yep that was my observation as well, there were maybe four or five times he could have come out and either cleared the ball or dropped on it to stop an attack, obviously a good performance from him but if he watched how modern keepers play the "sweeper keeper" and improved that are he'll be fantastic, pretty sure at one point in the second half van Aken yelled at him for not coming off his line to help.

13 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

He was off his line in a flash to brilliantly close the angle when Birmingham went through 1 on 1 on him. 

1 hour ago, Drones club said:

Agreed. But distribution was good. Better kicking than Westwood of late.

Better kicking than Westwood full stop!

I really rate Westwood, but his distribution with his feet is not the best, whereas Wildsmith looks really comfortable.

Did very well today and was fine at Brum too- an able deputy and wouldn't be too upset if he kept his place. Westwood has had his poorest month by a long way since joining us.

15 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

He was off his line in a flash to brilliantly close the angle when Birmingham went through 1 on 1 on him. Seniority or none he should have gave the defence (Lees) a b0llocking for that.

Just now, NIOwl said:

He was off his line in a flash to brilliantly close the angle when Birmingham went through 1 on 1 on him. 

Ye he was, but I don't mean that. As another poster pointed out it's not about what's coming in the area. It's seeing the game and reading situations. Keepers need to sweep up outside the area, he didn't. Van Aken bollocked him for it once. Needs to read he game more and be further off his line

16 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Not been his biggest fan in the past, with good reason too.

today he looked the however, great save for thier offside chance stood out, claimed the odd cross. Needs to get off his line quicker though and relieve pressure on the defence. 

Just to add. The average fan/footballer will see the positives he made (which I agree with). He kicking was excellent, most young keepers is have this. Also he's a very good shot stopper, but most keepers are at this level. It's just some of the basics he needs to improve on that will get missed by most as they don't stand out. Gets these right we will have a top keeper in the future.

Does this mean you're not the average fan/footballer then? lol

What are these areas the likes of me will fail to spot?

Just now, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Does this mean you're not the average fan/footballer then? lol

What are these areas the likes of me will fail to spot?

Because goalkeeping is very differnt to playing outfield that's what I was getting at. 

Even though I can tell you're being sarcastic I'll answer you.

It's things like his positioning and decision making. Another major one for me is his footwork, slow at moving across and I remember a goal vs Bolton where he could step back and catch the ball, instead he just dived backwards and conceded a goal. 

I am an average fan, but I played at a a high level (academies/non leagegue) in goal until I was 18 and had to give up through injury. I've also coached goalkeepers. So yes I assume I might so things to do with goalkeeping you might not spot.

Does that seem fair enough?

4 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Because goalkeeping is very differnt to playing outfield that's what I was getting at. 

Even though I can tell you're being sarcastic I'll answer you.

It's things like his positioning and decision making. Another major one for me is his footwork, slow at moving across and I remember a goal vs Bolton where he could step back and catch the ball, instead he just dived backwards and conceded a goal. 

I am an average fan, but I played at a a high level (academies/non leagegue) in goal until I was 18 and had to give up through injury. I've also coached goalkeepers. So yes I assume I might so things to do with goalkeeping you might not spot.

Does that seem fair enough?

Of course I was being sarcastic - it's Owlstalk lol

And you're right- I haven't noticed any of these things. Obviously the highlighted mistakes but nothing any subtler than that. I think he looks pretty assured for a 22(?) year old. Plenty of years ahead

of him as a keeper you'd think.