George Hirst

1 minute ago, Watson said:

Yep, the chances of becoming a 'top class' player are so remote that you wouldn't recommend anyone to follow it as a career.  Makes you wonder if its just down to natural ability, how much does having the drive and determination matter?

I'm sure that the vast majority of Rooney's squad had the determination to succeed but ability wise couldn't last the pace.  

Nice to see a few of them still made a go if it in football to some degree.

I'm not so sure myself. You hear about the likes of Ravel Morrison who was deemed at Manchester United to have all the talent in the World but clearly it seems has not had the application. Having read about the Neville brothers they were not deemed to be anything special but had great dedication and trained on their own doing drills and set up other things after their training had finished.  Phil was deemed a better cricketer.  They made the most of the ability they had. George Hirst who knows?  In five years he might be in non League or in five years who could be on the way to having a decent career.

10 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

I'm not so sure myself. You hear about the likes of Ravel Morrison who was deemed at Manchester United to have all the talent in the World but clearly it seems has not had the application. Having read about the Neville brothers they were not deemed to be anything special but had great dedication and trained on their own doing drills and set up other things after their training had finished.  Phil was deemed a better cricketer.  They made the most of the ability they had. George Hirst who knows?  In five years he might be in non League or in five years who could be on the way to having a decent career.

Fair points

16 minutes ago, poite said:

Agree if edited as above.

Some aspects of the club are worse than ever unfortunately 

Pitch, scoreboard, some of the drinks outlets are a vast improvement on last season (Wednesday Pale Ale is anyway), admittedly the shop needs some serious attention and a few new ideas. I'm surprised people haven't been asked for ideas of what they would like to see/buy.

5 hours ago, heppers said:

George Hirst is overrated by some on here.

Plenty of Eng U19 and U 21 players end up in non league.

He is not the next Rooney or Owen. 

5 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

oink oink

Heppers makes a fair comment. There was discussion on the radio the other day as to why over the last few years Englands youth teams have had successful tournaments but it over 50 years since the full team have.

Discussion the other day about how many games the players in the full England side are actually playing on a regular basis 

Bottom line is that it's difficult for young players to make the break into the full side mainly due to the number of foreign players, figure quoted in the Premiership for the number of English players is 33%

As for Hirst there are some on here who watch him on a regular basis and are saying that he isn't the best player in the side and there are a couple of others more worthy of a first team place.

5 hours ago, heppers said:

Only one I'd heard of apart from Rooney was Wayne Routlidge

10 minutes ago, darra said:

As for Hirst there are some on here who watch him on a regular basis and are saying that he isn't the best player in the side and there are a couple of others more worthy of a first team place.

In my opinion Hirst is not ready for regular first team football at Championship level right now, and there are better players then him in our Development squad.

But Hirst is a talent, very highly rated by many in England.

For us he should be seen as an investment. Management must decide if he is someone who can become key player in our squad, and what fee they expect to get for him in the future. If his wage (and other) demands justify our opinion of him, give him what he want. If not, sell him while we can get decent fee.

Guest Deleted member
21 minutes ago, darra said:

Heppers makes a fair comment. There was discussion on the radio the other day as to why over the last few years Englands youth teams have had successful tournaments but it over 50 years since the full team have.

Discussion the other day about how many games the players in the full England side are actually playing on a regular basis 

Bottom line is that it's difficult for young players to make the break into the full side mainly due to the number of foreign players, figure quoted in the Premiership for the number of English players is 33%

Interesting we've not had any £2m bid for any of them

You've been very critical,  and I've asked you before. How many times have you seen him,  and when was the last time?

Guest Deleted member
4 minutes ago, malek said:

In my opinion Hirst is not ready for regular first team football at Championship level right now, and there are better players then him in our Development squad.

But Hirst is a talent, very highly rated by many in England.

For us he should be seen as an investment. Management must decide if he is someone who can become key player in our squad, and what fee they expect to get for him in the future. If his wage (and other) demands justify our opinion of him, give him what he want. If not, sell him while we can get decent fee.

How many times have you seen him,  and when was the last time?

4 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Interesting we've not had any £2m bid for any of them

You've been very critical,  and I've asked you before. How many times have you seen him,  and when was the last time?

And I've said I think I've seen him once on TV hence me saying and basing my post on 

2 minutes ago, darra said:

And I've said I think I've seen him once on TV hence me saying and basing my post on 

Not the classic of hiding behind "what others say" to forward an opinion rather than advancing your own ?

"Others" on sky are currently saying Lukaku has had a poor first half but I would still have him on our bench if fit. Ridiculous statement ? You are getting the hang of it......

Guest Deleted member
6 minutes ago, darra said:

This  single tv performance that you wrote him off on the strength of. Who was it against and how long ago,  and how long did he play?

How many of those that have also written him off, like Nev and his lad based on a bit part appearance 12 months ago,  are in charge of £2m budgets to buy young players? And how much of that opinion is driven by any innate desire to defend the chairman at any cost?

Edited by Deleted member

My opinion is that in the current English game it is incredibly difficult for young players to make the breakthrough. I'm basing this on what ex players are saying and by reading what other people on here who have seen him play are saying. It's called evidence based

Guest Deleted member
3 minutes ago, darra said:

My opinion is that in the current English game it is incredibly difficult for young players to make the breakthrough. I'm basing this on what ex players are saying and by reading what other people on here who have seen him play are saying. It's called evidence based

Not its not its based on  hearsay

I'm certainly not arguing that he should be in the team. But I'm definitely arguing that we continue to develop him by loaning him out, give him a contract commensurate with that of his peers, sms keep the only player we've developed in recent years who actually knows the way to the net,  and not let him go like Vardy

Edited by Deleted member

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

This tv performance that you wrote him off on the strength of. Who was it against and how long ago,  and how long did he play?

How many of those that have also written him off, like Nev and his lad based on a bit part appearance 12 months ago,  are in charge of £2m budgets to buy young players? And how much of that opinion is driven by any innate desire to defend the chairman at any cost?

So you think he should be given an inflated contract along with a first team place or on the bench at the very least?. If it's a first team place who should he replace?

Where did I say I'd written him off? IIRC the game was a cup game can't remember who it was against

Just now, Grandad said:

Not its not its based on  hearsay

I'm certainly not arguing that hell should be in the team. But I'm definitely arguing that we continue to develop him by loaning him out, give him a contract commensurate with that of his peers, sms keep the only player we've developed in recent years who actually knows the way to the net,  and not let him go like Vardy

I have no idea what his contract offer is maybe you do? It's been widely reported that it is commensurate with that of others of his age. I have said on here many times that the ideal loan move would be to LIncoln City as it's local and the Cowley brothers have imo the right attitude towards the game and he would learn a lot. I agree we should be doing everything we can to keep him but it seems that for whatever reason he's decided his future lays elsewhere

I’ve certainly not written him because he is still very young. I saw him v Hull at the end of last season and yeah he’s a talent but I don’t like the idea that his team are trying to force a move because we won’t offer him a ridiculous wage (for an 18 year old at a Championship club). Reading the article above about how many good young players are never heard of again I can sort of see why they want to get their hands on loads of dosh as soon as they can. Just be honest about it.