George Hirst

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

How to argue against yourself in 2 sentences- way to go lol

You think we should give him

10k a week too? 

3 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Who else does?

You if his 'peers' are 10k a week on average. I'm assuming you mean England peers? I'd argue the offer would make him well paid against his Wednesday peers 

2 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

You if his 'peers' are 10k a week on average. I'm assuming you mean England peers? I'd argue the offer would make him well paid against his Wednesday peers 

So do you think he should earn the same as one of our under 23's with a market value of next to nothing who hasn't represented his country and didn't excel last season?

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

Just now, RUMBELOWS91 said:

So do you think he should earn the same as one of our under 23's with a market value of next to nothing who hasn't represented his country and didn't excel last season?

No I think he should be the highest paid but not to the extent that it causes disharmony or that it makes loans difficult.

Personally I regard him as a good a prospect as Clare, Penney, and Grady but they've all a long way to go.

Just now, Ash76 said:

No I think he should be the highest paid but not to the extent that it causes disharmony or that it makes loans difficult.

Personally I regard him as a good a prospect as Clare, Penney, and Grady but they've all a long way to go.

Have any of those played for their country?

Have we had £2m bids for any of those?

As in many a workplace, it's not until you're in demand that your paymasters have to make a decision- and sometimes that can mean upsetting the apple cart where others are concerned. That's where man-management comes in.

36 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Have any of those played for their country?

Have we had £2m bids for any of those?

As in many a workplace, it's not until you're in demand that your paymasters have to make a decision- and sometimes that can mean upsetting the apple cart where others are concerned. That's where man-management comes in.

No & no, which is why i said he should be the highest paid amongst his peers but we have to consider he's achieved absolutely nothing in his professional career yet, we aren't in the PL and he ultimately could still fail.

We will not agree with him whilst PL clubs are sniffing, I've accepted that, he will go and I will wish him good luck

4 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

No & no, which is why i said he should be the highest paid amongst his peers but we have to consider he's achieved absolutely nothing in his professional career yet, we aren't in the PL and he ultimately could still fail.

We will not agree with him whilst PL clubs are sniffing, I've accepted that, he will go and I will wish him good luck

Don't disagree with any of that, but I would suggest we've handed out contracts in the last 2 years that would have been better spent on George Hirst.

1 minute ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Don't disagree with any of that, but I would suggest we've handed out contracts in the last 2 years that would have been better spent on George Hirst.

We have, football clubs do, does;t make it acceptable though. Don't agree it should go on Hirst though, we can't have massive disparity between him and his U23 colleagues. I'd agree of course if he was having the same impact as the lad Brooks is on the other side of the city

2 hours ago, Ash76 said:

You think we should give him

10k a week too? 

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

No idea. Don't know what his 'peers' earn.

You've no idea whether we should give him £10K a week at this stage of his career?

Do you think PL youngsters are underpaid? Do you think we could or should be matching what PL teams are able to offer young kids without batting an eyelid?

I am pretty sure that we will have offered him more than his peers in our youth sides will be getting but maybe Grandad could shed more light on that. If you think we should offer a kid who has hardly played a game of professional football anywhere near £10K a week then it's a good job you are not running the club.

5 hours ago, Grandad said:

Anyway,  teams are coming out now,  been lovely chatting.  fancy us for 3-0 today, maybe 4.

Enjoy your football

Clearly a great judge, no I didn't enjoy my football, again.

Why do you keep ending your posts with that little ditty? Starting to sound like Strafford though I suppose every comic needs a catchphrase.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You've no idea whether we should give him £10K a week at this stage of his career?

Do you think PL youngsters are underpaid? Do you think we could or should be matching what PL teams are able to offer young kids without batting an eyelid?

I am pretty sure that we will have offered him more than his peers in our youth sides will be getting but maybe Grandad could shed more light on that. If you think we should offer a kid who has hardly played a game of professional football anywhere near £10K a week then it's a good job you are not running the club.

Is this really that difficult? 

If we dont think he's worth a good wage to keep him around, then why aren't we snapping up the £2m + add ons on offer?

No idea if £10k is the going rate for a kid with his potential, but if it is and we can't/don't want to pay it then why not just sell him? We can't have our cake and eat it.

2 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Is this really that difficult? 

If we dont think he's worth a good wage to keep him around, then why aren't we snapping up the £2m + add ons on offer?

No idea if £10k is the going rate for a kid with his potential, but if it is and we can't/don't want to pay it then why not just sell him? We can't have our cake and eat it.

Maybe the feeling is that because PL clubs can offer those wages at a drop of the hat we feel that the £2M + the add-ons is not enough. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Maybe the feeling is that because PL clubs can offer those wages at a drop of the hat we feel that the £2M + the add-ons is not enough. 

Possibly, but if we're prepared to go to tribunal what are they going to make of a player with zero appearances for over a year when the time comes?

Better ways than this to handle it, surely?

3 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Possibly, but if we're prepared to go to tribunal what are they going to make of a player with zero appearances for over a year when the time comes?

Better ways than this to handle it, surely?

I agree that we shouldn't be freezing him out, that's not helping anyone  We do seem to be making stubborn decisions that aren't helping us but that doesn't mean we should just accept what Leicester have offered or what the player wants. Some middle ground needs to be reached.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

I agree that we shouldn't be freezing him out, that's not helping anyone  We do seem to be making stubborn decisions that aren't helping us but that doesn't mean we should just accept what Leicester have offered or what the player wants. Some middle ground needs to be reached.

Honest question- and I'm guessing at the figures, but if he was your kid (put aside you're a Wednesday fan) and you knew he could earn £10k at Leicester on a 4 year deal - £2m guaranteed earnings by the age of 22/23, or stay where he is and earn maybe £450k over the same period, what would you tell him to do? 

15 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Honest question- and I'm guessing at the figures, but if he was your kid (put aside you're a Wednesday fan) and you knew he could earn £10k at Leicester on a 4 year deal - £2m guaranteed earnings by the age of 22/23, or stay where he is and earn maybe £450k over the same period, what would you tell him to do? 

Of course I would consider the move but that doesn't mean Wednesday should accept it. Someone could come in for Hooper in January and offer him £60 K a week while offering the club £3M for him. It would be very attractive for him personally but should we accept it?

44 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It would be investment in someone who could earn us lot of money in the future.

How can we expect to keep one of highest rated young players in country without spending ?!

9 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Of course I would consider the move but that doesn't mean Wednesday should accept it. Someone could come in for Hooper in January and offer him £60 K a week while offering the club £3M for him. It would be very attractive for him personally but should we accept it?

I'm talking more from the other side of things- people automatically seem to assume that if we match what's on offer he'd sign, but maybe he won't. After all, Leicester are an established PL club with state of the art facilities-  we are a team that has been 'yoyo-big' between the second and third tiers for the last 15 years, with a ropey training ground and a terrible record of bringing youngsters through.