George Hirst

I've no idea what lads of his age are paid by the club but lets pluck a figure of £500/week. Player not necessarily Hirst says I want £550/ week. Club say ok. Other players here this and say I want £550 as well. Ok says the club. Original player says I want £600 now. see where this is going? There has to be a structure in place.

All the above is hypothetical of course

3 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Nobody on here can say whether he's good enough or not. The only way we'll find out is if we give him a chance. 

I agree but at the moment it seems he is trying to hold the club to ransom by refusing to sign a contract

Just now, fred mciver said:

He can leave free to a foreign club - including Scotland -  in just over 2 months.

Surely, Everton and Leicester can't both be wrong.

Let's sort it.

2 million is small change for Everton or Leicester so not even a gamble. As for Scotland only Celtic or Rangers would be a positive move for him. Not sure a decent side in Germany, Spain, Italy or France would take him but who knows?

14 minutes ago, darra said:

I've no idea what lads of his age are paid by the club but lets pluck a figure of £500/week. Player not necessarily Hirst says I want £550/ week. Club say ok. Other players here this and say I want £550 as well. Ok says the club. Original player says I want £600 now. see where this is going? There has to be a structure in place.

All the above is hypothetical of course

This is hypothetical as well, and I'm inventing number to make a point.

How can you turn ask 5m for a player, and then offer him 500 p/w ?! First case shows that you rate him very highly, 2'nd that you rate him as average (or slightly above) youth player.

28 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I'd were loan him out at a lower level and hell fails at least we didn't have to weaken our team

It's what happens at academy level to develop players

I wouldn't judge him at all on a failed or unimpressive loan spell - it's just another part of player development

It baffles me why so many people seem to think that player development is a linear upward trajectory - if a player goes on loan and it doesn't go well then maybe they just weren't ready for the brutality of the professional game. Certainly wouldn't write them off

Obviously at some point the loans/appearances have to bear fruit or it would be clear the player cannot cut it at that level

Harry Kane had less than happy loan spells

Just now, malek said:

This is hypothetical as well, and I'm inventing number to make a point.

How can you turn ask 5m for a player, and then offer him 500 p/w ?! First case shows that you rate him very highly, 2'nd that you rate him as average (or slightly above) youth player.

I've no idea what they pay them £500 is the first number I thought of. Chelsea youngsters are paid £20-30k / week. Doubt we're anywhere near this:biggrin:

Guest Deleted member
17 minutes ago, darra said:

I agree but at the moment it seems he is trying to hold the club to ransom by refusing to sign a contract

Or are the club holding him to ransom by arresting his development unless he signs?

I've never once indicated how the details were communicated to me so your constant fishing is pointless. I will say this. It's not come to me from either of the Hirst family, they're much more professional than that. I am confident that when young Hirst moves on (as sadly seems inevitable) all of the details will be out in the open. And only those determined to save face will admit they were wrong to vilify both of the Hirsts

Last word on the subject.  You guys crack on with your character assassinations. From your informed viewpoints at the back of a television screen occasionally because you don't watch the club

40 minutes ago, Grandad said:

I'm having a meal over in Bolton before our game. 

I'm not about to breach any confidences just to win an argument with people on Owlstalk who continue to write off one of our best prospects in many years

As I've said over and over, even as a lifelong Wednesday fan id tell my son to tell the club to f off and seek his future elsewhere

You've already stated that you know on good authority what the offer to him is, why would stating the actual amount breach any confidences any more than you already have done? It's not as if people are going to know who it is that has given you the information as soon as you state a figure. You would have been better off keeping quiet about being in the know on this rather than telling everyone you know but aren't going to tell, what is the point in that? Unless you like the attention?

Guest Deleted member
6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You would have been better off keeping quiet about being in the know on this rather than telling everyone you know but aren't going to tell, what is the point in that? Unless you like the attention?

You're absolutely right it would have been much better to stay quiet, as I usually do when I know facts that fly in the face of popular opinion on here. 

But when the popular opinion that's being circulated by idiots is that the club is being held to ransom when it's quite the opposite, and that leads to someone who has given so much to the club being attacked by people who know nothing,  I felt I had to say. 

Yes I should have known better. Owlstalk would much rather shoot the messenger when they dont like the message than accept there may well be some truth in it.

You live and learn. 

Guest Deleted member

Anyway,  teams are coming out now,  been lovely chatting.  fancy us for 3-0 today, maybe 4.

Enjoy your football

Edited by Deleted member

Rhodes out

FF out

One more injury and young GH should probably be in the matchday squad. That would mean we're no longer affecting his development but weakening the first team squad by playing 'hard ball' - in other words cutting of our noses to spite our face again, as we did by 'suspending' FF.

Guest Deleted member
2 hours ago, Grandad said:

Anyway,  teams are coming out now,  been lovely chatting.  fancy us for 3-0 today, maybe 4.

Enjoy your football

Obviously I meant to them

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

How many of those that have also written him off, like Nev and his lad based on a bit part appearance 12 months ago

I'm not sure anyone has written him off, all I've seen is people say he's not ready for our first team. My opinion is based on much more than a single appearance at Cambridge, not sure why you'd think it is tbh.

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

But I'm definitely arguing that we continue to develop him by loaning him out, give him a contract commensurate with that of his peers

Don't disagree with loaning him out, I would irrespective of deadlock in negotiations.

Who are the peers you talk of though? I'm guessing the offer would make him the highest paid player of our U23 squad.

If you're referring to England team mates then he's no right whatsoever to be asking for similar amounts to those at PL clubs. If he can get it elsewhere then fair enough, no qualms at all and I accept he'll be off. Personally think you should do the same rather than stamping your feet demanding the club give him

the same as his 'peers'.

3 hours ago, scram said:

Harry Kane had less than happy loan spells

And then Wednesday arrived in East London.

6 minutes ago, Ash76 said:

Who are the peers you talk of though? I'm guessing the offer would make him the highest paid player of our U23 squad.

If you're referring to England team mates then he's no right whatsoever to be asking for similar amounts to those at PL clubs.

If he can get it elsewhere then fair enough

How to argue against yourself in 2 sentences- way to go lol