End goal more important for Sheffield Wednesday, says Lees

1 hour ago, BarnseyB said:

That's football these days, if we had a super rich individual involved who pumped money in I don't think we'd be different to anyone else. 

We aren't though, and we've outplayed teams so far who's squads would be of a similar value to yours, possibly more. 

I've seen players who you'd look at as top end Championship quality this season look extremely poor. Tom Huddlestone is one, someone you'd think would be quality at this level was pretty dire. 

Im jealous of your strike force, you've got lots of quality in that area. So much so that you bloody loaned out Sam Winnall. But I'm going to make a strong statement in that I think our midfield will dominate on Sunday. John Fleck and Paul Coutts might be no one to you, but I think both are better than your midfielders. Barry Bannan's tidy, but ours have that bit extra. 

Not saying that I think we'll win, in fact I wouldn't be surprised to see us have most of the ball, and get hit for a couple by the quality you have up front. 

65% possession in your favour on Sunday and I'm the idiot who's clueless about football.

youve made a better start to the season than i thought you would mate but im confident  you wont get owt out of the game on sunday

Coutts & Fleck better than Bannan & Lee, heard it all now 

Comparing 2 journeymen midfielders who have played 8 games in the championship together v Bannan & Lee , who have finished 6th & 4th respectively 

I'm not saying they are poor players, but it's a bit of a deluded and bold statement to make

18 minutes ago, Lees Tom Cat said:

This will be the first game of the season the Blavdes will get a proper championship game.

Norwich did a job on them but was stuck in 1st gear..The rest was just warming up for the season and we all know the season doesn't start until the transfer window has closed.

Stop it.

9 minutes ago, Markowski77 said:

Coutts & Fleck better than Bannan & Lee, heard it all now 

Comparing 2 journeymen midfielders who have played 8 games in the championship together v Bannan & Lee , who have finished 6th & 4th respectively 

I'm not saying they are poor players, but it's a bit of a deluded and bold statement to make

I prefer bold.

If I'm being totally honest, they're the best two midfielders we've had since the early 2000's. I'm saying they're better than your lads purely on the basis that I find it hard to believe they're better. Not because I've watched them enough to make a proper opinion to be fair. 

Maybe they are. Your lads are proven at this level, but I see real quality in our two.

At this point I can only make predictions, I think they will prove to be better. Red tinted specs only partially on. 

Edited by BarnseyB

10 minutes ago, BarnseyB said:

I prefer bold.

If I'm being totally honest, they're the best two midfielders we've had since the early 2000's. I'm saying they're better than your lads purely on the basis that I find it hard to believe they're better. Not because I've watched them enough to make a proper opinion to be fair. 

Maybe they are. Your lads are proven at this level, but I see real quality in our two.

At this point I can only make predictions, I think they will prove to be better. Red tinted specs only partially on. 

So who was better than them for you prior to this date?

3 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

United have more quality in midfield, a bit lightweight with no battlers but can pass for fun and usually dominate.

Wednesday slightly edge defence/goalie but are far superior up front.

Wednesday should win but it’ll be close.

Success will be down to Carlos taking off the shackles and going for it, like in the first 15 minutes against Forest.

Should be a good game. United play an open game, have little physical presence or pace but every player knows the system playing positive passing football.

At the sentence "united have more quality in midfield" you lost any credibility whatsoever. Behave, unless you're one of them, if you are jog on!

3 minutes ago, Internationowl said:

So who was better than them for you prior to this date?

I was thinking Michael Brown and McCall. Fleck is better than both when it comes to mobility and beatng players. Coutts is similar to McCall. Neither have contributed greatly in the goals department compared to Brown, although I'd say both are technically better with the ball.  

8 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Firmly believe we'll be playing against 10 men at some point.

That's why I'm glad there's no hutch or FF. No hot heads, just good pros, who are playing as a unit. Key man, as many have alluded to this week, is Corporal Jones. I'd love him to smash another one in, just like Ian Mellor did in 79.

3 minutes ago, BarnseyB said:

I was thinking Michael Brown and McCall. Fleck is better than both when it comes to mobility and beatng players. Coutts is similar to McCall. Neither have contributed greatly in the goals department compared to Brown, although I'd say both are technically better with the ball.  

Tbf Brown outside of that one great season for you was an absolute clogger of a player. 

Swear he must have stolen the soul of someone half decent for a year before it then departed his body. After he left you his most noteworthy moments were stamping on people. 

The fact that you rate Couttsy and Flecky so highly is fair enough, but how you can sit there and claim that they are better than the likes of Lee, Bannan etc., - on the basis of 8 games - is a bit laughable. 

Not saying they're bad players, but they've both got to prove themselves (certainly Fleck who has never played at this level before). 

Funny thing is, if they're as good as you claim, then someone with more money will come in for them :duntmatter:

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Tbf Brown outside of that one great season for you was an absolute clogger of a player. 

Swear he must have stolen the soul of someone half decent for a year before it then departed his body. After he left you his most noteworthy moments were stamping on people. 

The fact that you rate Couttsy and Flecky so highly is fair enough, but how you can sit there and claim that they are better than the likes of Lee, Bannan etc., - on the basis of 8 games - is a bit laughable. 

Not saying they're bad players, but they've both got to prove themselves (certainly Fleck who has never played at this level before). 

Funny thing is, if they're as good as you claim, then someone with more money will come in for them :duntmatter:

Not patronising. Thanks for discussing the footy.

3 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

United have more quality in midfield, a bit lightweight with no battlers but can pass for fun and usually dominate.

Wednesday slightly edge defence/goalie but are far superior up front.

Wednesday should win but it’ll be close.

Success will be down to Carlos taking off the shackles and going for it, like in the first 15 minutes against Forest.

Should be a good game. United play an open game, have little physical presence or pace but every player knows the system playing positive passing football.

are you on glue?

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I know, Brown was a strange one. He was our top scorer that season, a poor man's Frank Lampard. He went to Tottenham and was converted into a defensive midfielder, got a bit of a reputation as a nasty rascal and never again scored more than one or two a season. 

It's not just the eight games this season, they were quality all of last season, and have picked up exactly where they left off. I can't see them suddenly dropping off. 

You're right though, January could be a nervy month, especially as we have form for flogging our best players at the worst times. 

26 minutes ago, Internationowl said:

Imagine if your best midfielders from the past 30 - 40 years were; McCall, Brown, Coutts and Fleck..

Don't know about that far back, but I don't think either of us have been particularly blessed in since the turn of the millennium. 

10 hours ago, BarnseyB said:

I prefer bold.

The Red tinted specs are completely on I think. Bannan and Lee are two of the best midfielders in the entire division.  Bannan even got in the team of the season two years ago.

I fully understand that we hold our own players on a bit of a pedestal. But that's a bit of a bold statement to make.

Just out of interest who in this division do you think are better then your two midfielders or are they the best.?