Stick Or Twist

Big question for me now after two wins with our so called home diamond formation. Which is essentially really just Reach at left back and Bannan left midfield.

Does Carlos stick with it or does he go back to Bannan in the centre and Reach at left wing again for the up coming away match against Cardiff.

Before yesterday I was convinced we would be seeing him change it for the Cardiff game and go with the team in the previous two away games. But with Boyd now injured, who I am sure would have been in his plans for the match and the back to back wins in the " home formation".

I ain't so sure we will see him switch Bannan and Reach back.

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Now Lee is back, Bannan should be on the left every week. 

That is a major factor in it as well. 

And long term I think it will see Bannan on the left more often as both him and Lee are two players you have to have in the team. But will he play Reach at left back in away games too if Bannan is on the left wing. I ain't sure he will.

Or will he play Reach on the right. Where Boyd would have been.

It is definitely an attacking type formation we play at home so will he be going same again on Saturday.

We know what last year's Carlos would have done?

Its an interesting one but will Lee be able to play a full match again in a short space of time......

Personally I think he will play Bannan on the right to cover Wallace who I think has a slight problem that means Reach left wing and then Pudil in at left back for more height against a physical Cardiff team.

Apart from the one change I think it will be same as 

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Van Aken 

Pudil 

Bannan

Jones

Lee

Reach 

Fletcher 

Hooper 

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Big question for me now after two wins with our so called home diamond formation. Which is essentially really just Reach at left back and Bannan left midfield.

Does Carlos stick with it or does he go back to Bannan in the centre and Reach at left wing again for the up coming away match against Cardiff.

Before yesterday I was convinced we would be seeing him change it for the Cardiff game and go with the team in the previous two away games. But with Boyd now injured, who I am sure would have been in his plans for the match and the back to back wins in the " home formation".

I ain't so sure we will see him switch Bannan and Reach back.

He started with Lee wide and Bannan in the middle last night. 

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Perhaps that points towards resting Lee against Cardiff then and Reach and Pudil operating down the left then.

Dunno he changed it after a while - whether that was the plan or not I don't know. It meant we started with Bannan dropping back towards the centre-halves all the time. Glad he changed it but I thought leaving Rhodes alone up top was a bit daft. He just isn't capable of playing that role - it invited pressure when we couldn't keep the ball. Joao would have been more of a contest for their centre backs. 

Don't think Reach will left back away from home

Lee out wide , whether right or left and he has tried both never ever works. It just stops him making any central forward runs which are fundamental to the way we play

So Pudil full back , Reach left midfield and probably Bannan on the right.

Hope he doesn't play Bannan and Jones in the middle we just end up too deep and the strikers get isolated

2 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Now Lee is back, Bannan should be on the left every week. 

Bit of a tangent this one.......

I will be honest...i was fuming to see Bannan on the left as he isn't and out and out winger and he offers nothing in terms of  traditional "wing play" and width. However having seen Bannan on the left for the last 2/3 games, i honestly think this is what as brought out the best in Reach. It almost gives Reach half the pitch to run into. The full back will naturally follow Bannan whether he cuts inside or turns back, leaving the left flank almost completely free. 

This was evident a few times against Forest but last night in the second half, Reach was really good. Hes a fit lad who can play the wing back role and the Bannan/Reach combination can work for the team!! I honestly thought it would demoralise Bannan out on the left but to be fair to the lad he is back to his best this season.

I think we have to accept in the modern game that you don't come across fullbacks who are solid at the back and amazing going forward...the game is set up for attacking wing backs who get crosses in and attack the opposite wing back, rather than traditional full backs that we are used to seeing. Bannan is part of the process down the left hand side that is creating good things for Reach and ultimately us as team.

3 hours ago, rickygoo said:

Dunno he changed it after a while - whether that was the plan or not I don't know. It meant we started with Bannan dropping back towards the centre-halves all the time. Glad he changed it but I thought leaving Rhodes alone up top was a bit daft. He just isn't capable of playing that role - it invited pressure when we couldn't keep the ball. Joao would have been more of a contest for their centre backs. 

You play Bannan in the middle naturally he drifts back to pick up the ball. 

Playing him left will allow Van Aken to step out with it.

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere...

With Boyd being out, if Wallace needs to come off at any point. Kieran Lee has played on the right before. 

Bannan tip of the diamond, Reach on the left, Pudil left back - or Morgan Fox etc..We've got some options.

Almen Abdi and Marco Matias could possibly play cameo's but hopefully not in the derby

3 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere...

With Boyd being out, if Wallace needs to come off at any point. Kieran Lee has played on the right before. 

Bannan tip of the diamond, Reach on the left, Pudil left back - or Morgan Fox etc..We've got some options.

Almen Abdi and Marco Matias could possibly play cameo's but hopefully not in the derby

A Matias worldie in the derby would be very welcome.

11 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

My guess is the following for Cardiff

westwood

hunt

lees

joost

pudil

reach

bannan

jones

lee

hooper

fletcher

---

wildsmith

nuhiu

palmer

venacio

rhodes

matias

wallace 

Don't think that will be far off what it is.