Winnall/Butterfield is actually a good deal

1 minute ago, Toronto_Owl said:

Get rid of a proven goal scorer when we can't score for poo and trade him for a risky midfielder.

hmmmmm 

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Personally think our lack of goals is more to do with tactics/approach/general team mindset than striker personnel.

54 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Hooper's a very good player when he's in the mood, but my god the way some of our fans talk about him is bizarre. It's like he's the 2nd coming of Waddle 

:duntmatter:

He runs like he's towing a caravan. 

I keep reading how Winnall is 5th choice despite him doing more and looking more confident than Rhodes and Forestieri this season. 

Its clear CC doesn't rate him as highly as others because he is quite raw and doesn't bother trying to overplay, he just does something novel like stepping forward and having a shot. Another example of stubbornness from our manager, dropping a player who is performing in favour of those who are not. 

I dont think it's a particularly good deal as Winnall was a breath of fresh air on the pitch (unless he wasn't off it) but given that we needed to do the same spring clean in midfield it looks as if we were in the last chance saloon. I do rate butterfield however and he will add something we miss When Hutchinson doesn't play.

The positive is that it is only a loan deal and if CCs approach ultimately sees him move on, at least the new manager still has Winnall on the books.

7 hours ago, Toronto_Owl said:

I completely agree, and when Carlos's leaves the clappers will see the goals fly in.

However tactics or not, selling a proven finisher isn't going to help us.

sorry, but I just feel so flipping negative with the club management and football being served up at the moment. 

Yes, Winnall is an example of the kind of player we should be looking to sign, up and coming and a fantastic goal scoring record across the divisions. 

When the manager had the courage to play him he has generally done well and even if he hasn't scored (it does take him a few chances) we generally seem more lively. The only times he has looked redundant is when we launch the ball at him.

We have mis-used a promising player and it is very frustrating. 

7 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Hooper's a very good player when he's in the mood, but my god the way some of our fans talk about him is bizarre. It's like he's the 2nd coming of Waddle 

:duntmatter:

I know you're not a huge fan of Hooper, but Westwood, Lees, Bannan and Hooper is probably the best spine in the division. Wouldn't swap them for any other four off the top of my head. 

It's the rest of the team and how it fits together that is concerning- ive got zero doubts that those four are good enough for a top 2 team though. 

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

With current injuries/recoveries/apparent form taken into account (except Loovens - not sure where he's at but heard he's basically ok...two able stand-ins now if not, anyway), my starting line-up if we had a game tomorrow would probably be something like below.

Not much to pick between Reach and Pudil on current form, but both wingbacks would need to get up and down the line a LOT in this formation, so I've gone with Reach.

lineup.png.ad5fd11124b3ec2baa6c2a0f88eb130a.png

Possibly very different again when we've got Lee, Abdi, Rhodes, Hutch etc all fully fit and firing, or if Boyd/Wallace find form, or Matias turns out to be real. Plenty of room for those players in this sort of setup, but positions would need tweaking a fair bit. This one relies quite heavily on Butterfield being able to put a tackle in as well as feed Hooper - would likely need a rethink if that's not his game.

8 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Winnall is a good player, there's no doubting that. However we all know that Carlos, for whatever reason, did not like him. The fact he left him at home for trips to Preston, Fulham and Burton and had Nuhiu on the bench instead told us as much. He was wasted here, we have let a player go who would have featured (rightly or wrongly) no more than 15 times IMO.

We have replaced him with someone who can give us energy in the midfield, something we miss with Kieran Lee being injured. He gives us a better option, and both deals for me point towards a change in formation too. I'm guessing it will be a 4-1-2-3.

lineup.png.9e1820e4b5a50f612f3d9a2941941c30.png

That, for me, should be our lineup. This swap benefits everyone, I think it will be good for us although it is disappointing losing Winnall.

Butterfield's number is a guess btw

You left out Hooper... THAT is worrysome!